Any truth in this?

Discussion in 'Officers' started by kingdong, Nov 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Irish Guards officers tend to be drawn from the ranks of graduates of elite British public schools, particularly those with a Roman Catholic affiliation, such as Ampleforth College and Stonyhurst College. Catholic foreign royals or aristocrats, even those with no Irish connection, have often found a home in the Irish Guards. (An example is Jean, Grand Duke of Luxembourg.)"

This is more out of curiousity than anything else and I don't trust alot of what Wikipedia has to offer...
  2. Yes and no. There are serving Irish Guards from Ampleforth etc.. but not having attended one of these schools is not a barrier to a career as an officer in the Irish Guards.
  3. Thanks for your reply. I was not so interested in the educations aspect, but rather the religious side of things (though obviously in this case they are connected). Is it a well known thing that those of a RC disposition tend to be drawn to the IG or is it much the same as in any regiment?
  4. Why do you want to know?
  5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Good question. Or is kingdong trying to imply something?
  6. There is nothing sneaky going on here. I am not a reporter, but rather an interested PO.

I simply wanted to know whether it was a well known fact that the IG tend to attract officers of Catholic affiliation, moreso than say any other regiment?
  7. King Dong, 23% of the British Army is RC, compared to less than 7% of the population...

Yes the Irish Guards get quite a few Officers from RC schools - but they have always (the schools) been 'good suppliers' of Officers to all sorts of Regiments. You might see what you can google about the number of VCs that Stonyhurst has produced over the years...
  8. Ahh Wikipedia, that definitive authority.

Wikipedia is c#ck and is full of nonsense. Why does anyone ever use it as a source of info?
  9. You seem to have a hang up wth regard to RC officers
  10. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

Unlike the rest of us who just have a hang up regarding hooficers :D

11. I have no hang up, I am a practicing RC myself. Why would one possibly have a hang up of that kind?! It's pure curiousity, nothing more.
  12. A left footer, burn him!
  13. I'm clearly behind the times. No b*gger told me that they had repealed the Test Acts. Goodness. We'll be stopping compulsory church parade on Sundays next and then having females in the Engineers and the Artillery.

Finally Field Officers will be allowed dogs other than Labradors and the whole world will go to rack and ruin.
  14. Standard Issue dog for RMAS Captains appears to be Spaniels. So the world has well and truly gone to pot!
  15. Nah, just a one-for-one exchange when they get their crown up.

I understand, in cheaper regiments, you just take your issue golden retriever in for a black re-spray.