Any Track geeks out there?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by pull_through, Mar 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Something occurred to me a while back but didn't know whom to ask before my ARRSE enlightenment.

Since MBT's tend to be rear engined and hence the drive sprocket at the back, the tensioned track is beneath the road wheels.

Most APC's, IFV’s and some weird israeli tanks have the engine and drive sprocket at the front so the tensioned track is above the road wheels and not in contact with the ground or unfortunate/stubborn inf that it flattens.

I had been wondering if there was any significant advantage/drawback to either config. Obviously both work when the veh is reversing so it can't be HUGE problem?

2. Not that I know a lot about the subject, but wouldn't the tensioned track be above the road-wheels in both cases?

EDIT. As you were! Yes, forwards and all. Sorry about that.
  3. Having driven both vehicles with the drive sprocket at the front and rear, as long as the track is correctly tensioned then there is little difference.

Unless you don't maintain correct track tension and have a severely slack track, I think then you'd notice a difference/have troubles.
  4. If your MBT is travelling at 30 mph and at a point on the ground the track is stationary, is the track at the opposite point at the top of the track travelling at 60 mph?

5. I'm sure a driver mech will be along shortly to scratch his nuts and utter the DS solution of 'fcuked if I know'...
  6. If so why, when the track is tensioned during track-bashing, is it the portion of the track not in contact with terra firma that becomes taut?

Surely the track is stationary relative to the ground, but not the vehicle. Otherwise, the AFV would have to remain stationary while the ground moved. Always thought it was the RAC kept the world spinning.
  7. After 10 minutes of head scratching I think you're right, the MBT is in effect 'laying' its tracks (hence the H class on a license being for a 'track laying vehicle steered by its tracks') so the track link on the ground is stationary while the track link above it is moving.

Ohh err my head hurts :study:
  8. Silly question, if a vehicle is travelling at 30mph all its components have the same forward velocity.

Magnus Pike, tennis ball, why doesnt it smack me in the face when I throw it in the air on the back seat of the car travelling at 70mph.
  9. Now I realise why I deserved the fail in physics :oops:
  10. R_M

As the nature of the post would suggest, I'm no figure of authority on armoured ops but presumably during track tensioning: the bit of track suffering the resistance of the atmosphere, against the bit that 60-odd tonnes of steel is pushing into said terra firma is rather an unfair fight?
  11. Pull through, you are confusing the issue, yes the track that has 60 tonnes on it will be marginally thinner, also a tad longer, the track without loading will be in a neutral state with neither external vertical or horizontal loads, assuming the vehicle isnt moving.
  12. I've always wondered the answer to that. Can the resident physicist enlighten me?
  13. Because yon tennis ball is already travelling at the environmental velocity of the car and everything else in it, thus it's not affected.

14. Agreed, i've either massively confused the issue, my self or both. I have exactly zero knowledge of track tensioning practice, beyond the fact that doing it wrong results in stationary targets. I would however be interested to learn - hence the post.

Hold on there I've just re-read the thread. All further statements refer to PURE mathmatics and theoretical mathmatical mechanics, otherwised referred to in reality as: "that crap that I learned at school and never though I'd use again"

When the veh is statioanry and stable there will be no tension on the tracks generated by the drive sprocket, front or back.

If the length/tension of the tracks is shortened/tensioned, the shortening willoccur where the resistance to movement is least. In this case, where the tracks do not have to push against the earth beneith them.

Whilst the veh is moving, (for a rear engined veh) the track below the road wheels is always taught. For a typical APC the track above the road wheels is effectivly transfering the energy.

15. 30 mph? wot the feck you on about? Proper tanks do 21.5 mph.5fwd 2 rev with a real clutch. Dreaming git.