Any tips for Disney World or Universal holidays.

If you have your mod90 still you may be able to get free parking at Disney. Depends on the staff on the gate.
I spent more time at Disney than universal but that depends on kid's age. Mine were 10 and 13 when we went last Easter.
I think it may be rather warm there.

Enjoy your holiday.

OB - Be there myself in a few weeks - as soon as i get off my aarse and book flights, car etc !!
"The Dibb" website has loads of tips and advice - you have to weed through lots of shoite but some good stuff is on there. If you're driving check out the area using Google Earth street view for roads etc.
Weather this summer is very hot mid 90's every day - watch out for sunburn - water fountains are in every park or buy water from Walmart, Target, Publix etc. Oh and take lots of money - you'll come back with none but you'll enjoy spending it. pm me with more details & I can advise you on routes or any specific questions.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
My colleague is just back. Presuming you have kids:

1. Buy a Fast pass. Absolute must via the My Disney Experience App.

2. Buy water bottles and squeeze diluting capsules - there's no diluting juice in the park, it's all fizzy stuff. There's not much milk availability either of your kids drink milk rather than juice. Fill the bottles at the free water fountains.

3. Take ponchos and take them every day. Florida is one of the wettest places in America.

4. If you go for opening time you'll get really short queue times. Make the effort to get up early

5. Allow time for travel and security checks. Every bag gets checked.

6. Disney springs boathouse and rainforest cafe were the best places to eat, but make advanced reservations or you'll be waiting 90 minutes for food.

7. Don't tip.

Universal:

If you go to Island of Adventure and have young kids, everyone goes left but go right to Dr Zeus area and there are four or five kids rides with short queues because everyone goes the other way.

That's all she can think of hope it helps

OB - Be there myself in a few weeks - as soon as i get off my aarse and book flights, car etc !!
"The Dibb" website has loads of tips and advice - you have to weed through lots of shoite but some good stuff is on there. If you're driving check out the area using Google Earth street view for roads etc.
Weather this summer is very hot mid 90's every day - watch out for sunburn - water fountains are in every park or buy water from Walmart, Target, Publix etc. Oh and take lots of money - you'll come back with none but you'll enjoy spending it. pm me with more details & I can advise you on routes or any specific questions.
Been looking for a while.

Living in S. Italy we have had mid 90F and humidity since June so that’s no problem.

You can get FREE iced water in every Disney eatery, just have to ask!

Already asked for a discount as EX UK Army and vet to boot but only for USA forces.

Thanks

My colleague is just back. Presuming you have kids:

1. Buy a Fast pass. Absolute must via the My Disney Experience App.

2. Buy water bottles and squeeze diluting capsules - there's no diluting juice in the park, it's all fizzy stuff. There's not much milk availability either of your kids drink milk rather than juice. Fill the bottles at the free water fountains.

3. Take ponchos and take them every day. Florida is one of the wettest places in America.

4. If you go for opening time you'll get really short queue times. Make the effort to get up early

5. Allow time for travel and security checks. Every bag gets checked.

6. Disney springs boathouse and rainforest cafe were the best places to eat, but make advanced reservations or you'll be waiting 90 minutes for food.

7. Don't tip.

Universal:

If you go to Island of Adventure and have young kids, everyone goes left but go right to Dr Zeus area and there are four or five kids rides with short queues because everyone goes the other way.

That's all she can think of hope it helps
Know and got stuff for 2,3,4 and 5.

For 6. Downloaded the Disney app so you can book food to go without waiting.

Are the fast passes that good?

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Quote: "They were completely necessary. 7 Dwarves mine train was a three hour wait and we walked straight on it past a queue of angry, tired, upset people."

She says link your park tickets to the app and select a date, a park and it gives you all the times and rides availt for a fast pass. You need to organise around this but it's good planning and saves hours. She bought her fast passes 30 days before. She says do it now before all the slots are gone.

Went there last year. I’d say yes, but then having kids and queuing up in the heat often without shade isn’t always a good idea. The ‘fast passes’ are worth it imo. Pretty much as @MrBane says.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
List of FP rides.
IMG-20180810-WA0007.jpg

Depends where your staying , itinery . Wet time of year now but after the rain the heat drys it up. Good walking footwear, you will be on your feet for hours. Use 'shades of green' discount on all kinds . Use mod 90. They will honour it, especially at the main outlets north ,south of I drive. I used the navy PX next to Orlando airport, ask before, just to be polite. Are you driving? If so try pay for the parks car parking pass in a one off. Instead of paying on the day, then you can come and go without getting hit everyday. You can turn right on a red light,just make sure it's clear. Use the visitors centre on I drive. They have local knowledge , loads of coupon books maps etc.

Some of the tickets include all photographs with characters which can be downloaded using the Disney app. I didn't realise and missed quite a few photos.

We lived there. Yes they are well worth it.

Someone did a time and motion study of a visitors day in Mouseworld and it came up with somethng like: In peak/summer season you spend around 9 - 11 hours queueing for 7 rides. I can't remember how many ride variations there are for fast pass but, I'm pretty sure we used to get 3 fast pass rides.

We had annual tickets for Universal and used to pop along most saturday mornings at sparrow fart for a couple of hours and then go do the weekly shopping. The trick is to get there at sparrow fart to be at the front of the queue THEN head straight through for the far side of the park to Harry Potter World. The reason being that most people wander through in a daze and get there after a couple of hours. Go to the far side first and work your way back to the gate that way you get to the far side when it is empty walk towards the masses, crossover somewhere in the middle and then the last bit is pretty much devoid of people other than latecomers.

Go to Wally World (Walmart) and buy an Ozark Trail cooler rucksack (worthy of a @MrBane review) and a couple of cooler blocks. Take drinks, snacks and sarnies in with you. I either used to make sarnies before we went, or grab some at a subway enroute. The food in both parks is mainly of the deepfried variety and snacks are all sugar based crap - eat there for a fortnight and your digestive system will be worthy of colonic irrigation. It is also much cheaper to take your own stuff in.

It is wet in Florida and can sometimes hose it down - most people dive under cover into a disney/universal shop of which there are plenty. Those bodybag style ponchos are worse than just getting wet from the rain - the thing is half an hour after the rain stops you are bone dry again anyway.

Security checks on the way in are a pain but to be honest, they are not thorough. Just open your bag let the bloke/bint prod around with their stick thing and move on.

Tip: mid October through to Thanksgiving is quiet, as is the day after the kids go back to school in january until about a week before easter holidays start. We went to Seaworld that second week in january, got there at opening time and there were around 20 or so cars in the car park - we thought the place was closed. Inside we hurtled over to the big Atlantis roller coaster splash ride and just ended up going round and round on the ride for about 45 minutes with no one else.

Any fceker in the park's.

I hate the whole expectation of tip's thing in the US. Worst of the lot are the one's who come from the north east, particularly NY. I have told people to fcek off before when they more or less stand there with their hand out expecting 10% - 15% ($20 to $30) to be dropped into it after giving some 2 minutes of mediocre service.

The only tip I ever got was, "polish your boots son and you won't get extras".

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Anyone, ever, in America unless it's something you'd tip for back home.

If the US wants to set the minimum wage at less than £6 (from what I've worked out) then that's their prerogative, and they shouldn't rely on holiday makers who have already spent a fortune to visit their country, to top up that shoddy practice.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Anyone, ever, in America unless it's something you'd tip for back home.

If the US wants to set the minimum wage at less than £6 (from what I've worked out) then that's their prerogative, and they shouldn't rely on holiday makers who have already spent a fortune to visit their country, to top up that shoddy practice.
There is a clause in the employment of waiting staff that allows them to be employed for around $3 an hour on the understanding that they will do nicely out of tips.

However:

1. Coming to my table and spending a grumpy 3 minutes taking my order,
2. Delivering that order to the kitchen, 45 seconds
3. Spending 3 minutes bringing the food to the table after I have watched it getting cold for 10 minutes in the hatch,
4. Asking if I want dessert, or another drink as they are passing the table,
5. Slapping the bill on the table after I have spent 10 minutes trying to attract their attention

Does not make for good service and amounts to around 10 minutes of their valuable time and then they expect to receive a $20 - $30 tip putting them on an hourly rate of $120 - $180.

The north east is the biggest problem and north easterners who have moved to Florida take the expectation with them. I had a black guy from Lowe's doing a delivery for me, killed himself trying to get the stuff in just right - I offered cold drinks, along the way and at the end tried to give him a tip as he had saved me some serious schlepping. He told me people in Texas generally don't take tip's unless they are in restaurants, but thanks for the offer.

14 Days in Disney/Universal...I would need a new liver/therapy/vacation after. 1 day is enough for me....

And how can it be the happiest place on earth, when they dont sell booze (Disney land) ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Lifesaver The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B 7
Oracle Infantry 11
PartTimePongo Infantry 1