Any Suunto watch wearers out there?

P

PrinceAlbert

I won the Suunto X9i watch on an auction a few years back, and was very happy with it. The only problem I found with it was it sometimes took some time to pick up the GPS position.

Anyhow, I'm looking at buying a new one.

I quite like the look of the suunto core. Has anyone used/got one?

I'd buy the Ambit for the full package with heart rate monitor, but I've got a polar for that, and I can't justify the extra £200 or so on top of the core price.

Sports Watches & Instruments | Suunto

Any info greatly appreciated.

can i have you old one, if your buying a new one, cos im poor and from the north ( according to joker!!)

is that a yup you can have my old suunto or yep your poor and from up north??

Yup.

Edited to add - **** that! They still sell for £350

£50 and it's yours.
you tight f**ker with all the cash you have!!!

however deal. ( do you take DHSS milk tokens?)

mmm, have fallen out of love with Suunto. Got the D9 and apart from having to experience a recall and send it back to get its software updated - it underestimated time at depth (not good) - it also crapped itself on my last holiday just as i went to step off. Cheers! For the amount of money they charge i really expect more.

P

PrinceAlbert

mmm, have fallen out of love with Suunto. Got the D9 and apart from having to experience a recall and send it back to get its software updated - it underestimated time at depth (not good) - it also crapped itself on my last holiday just as i went to step off. Cheers! For the amount of money they charge i really expect more.
Oh. That's pants. I've never heard anything but good things with regards to Suunto watches.

I'm open to suggestions on alternatives.

I wear a Core HR Daily and also have a D6 & a Vytec DS and haven't had major issues with any off them. The pressure sensor has just failed on the Vytec however it's 6-7 years old and has done around 1500 dives so not bad. Suunto repaired it quickly and pretty cheaply too.

The Core is a great all round watch, the compass comes in very useful as does the altimeter, and like all Suuntos it very simple to use. The only drawback is that it gets tatty pretty quickly if you use it in a 'harsh enviroment'! Mine is used predominately in the desert and the abrasive qualities of the sand soon make the watch look pretty shabby and the screen/face appears to be made soft material which marks very easy.

I dive and sail but am a deaf as a coot which puts me off watches with high pitched alarms. Which is why, having always wanted a BFO Suunto, I have a Bog standard Seiko divers watch and dive tables.
Put Big Ben on a Suunto and I'll spend all day telling everyone there is a storm coming

P

PrinceAlbert

Mine is used predominately in the desert and the abrasive qualities of the sand soon make the watch look pretty shabby and the screen/face appears to be made soft material which marks very easy.
As will mine be. That's a real let down. Granted it's not a dress watch, but I do like to keep things tidy.

I used to have the X9i....great watch.....for about 10months. Then the CF face fell off & could I get Suunto to take it back, could i shite. I do like them but too much money for the gizmo's. I use a casio G shock with baro, alt & compass plus if i need it i have a Garmin Foretrex 301 which i my fav little piece of kit. Got both for less than half the price of an X9 replacement. Do like the Core though, but wouldn't risk it breaking again.

P

PrinceAlbert

I used to have the X9i....great watch.....for about 10months.
I've had mine for around 3 years, and never had an issue with it. It's a shame to hear that Suunto weren't forthcoming with a repair bearing in mind the cost of the X9i. It's still expensive to buy now, even with the X10 on the market.

I've had the Advizor for about 10 years now. No probs with watch but have had to replace Heart rate strap.
Not sure if you can buy anymore, but sure they have replaced it with something just as good.
Long story short 'buy cheap - buy twice'

I have had my all black core for three years now and love it, I have never had a problem with it before that I used and still have the vector which still works no dramas but is now really shabby which is why I replaced it. The only Suunto I have heard bad reports about is the X10 which a friend had and was constantly sending it back, all sorts went wrong with his watch from the strap and the case rusting and breaking to the GPS just spanking in and the software not updating. He ended up getting rid and when I last spoke with him he was looking at replacing it with the titanium core with a fortress when he needed a GPS.

P

PrinceAlbert

I have had my all black core for three years now and love it
I've had my all black core for about 2 weeks now. Really happy with it. It's comfortable, and has done the job so far. I deploy next weekend, so will so how it fairs in AFG.

I've had my all black core for about 2 weeks now. Really happy with it. It's comfortable, and has done the job so far. I deploy next weekend, so will so how it fairs in AFG.
Hey mate very best of luck in the sandpit! I had mine and used it daily throughout my tour last year and it's still in perfect working order so I hope yours fairs as well as mine did (I would honestly buy another if this goes tits) check the Canadian and German PX in KAF if you get the chance they sell Suunto watches and are very well priced compared to what we pay in the UK. Anyway again mate best of luck keep your head down, I am due back out either at or just after Christmas can't wait...... :)