Any Suunto watch wearers out there?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by PrinceAlbert, Jul 27, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I won the Suunto X9i watch on an auction a few years back, and was very happy with it. The only problem I found with it was it sometimes took some time to pick up the GPS position.

Anyhow, I'm looking at buying a new one.

I quite like the look of the suunto core. Has anyone used/got one?

I'd buy the Ambit for the full package with heart rate monitor, but I've got a polar for that, and I can't justify the extra £200 or so on top of the core price.

Sports Watches & Instruments | Suunto

Any info greatly appreciated.
  2. can i have you old one, if your buying a new one, cos im poor and from the north ( according to joker!!)
  3. Yup.

Edited to add - **** that! They still sell for £350

£50 and it's yours.
  4. is that a yup you can have my old suunto or yep your poor and from up north??
  5. :)
  6. you tight f**ker with all the cash you have!!!

however deal. ( do you take DHSS milk tokens?)
  7. One will give you a tenner for it and not one penny more.

Bigger.....too late.
  8. Too slow fella.

So, has anyone tried the core?
  9. mmm, have fallen out of love with Suunto. Got the D9 and apart from having to experience a recall and send it back to get its software updated - it underestimated time at depth (not good) - it also crapped itself on my last holiday just as i went to step off. Cheers! For the amount of money they charge i really expect more.
  10. Oh. That's pants. I've never heard anything but good things with regards to Suunto watches.

I'm open to suggestions on alternatives.
  11. I wear a Core HR Daily and also have a D6 & a Vytec DS and haven't had major issues with any off them. The pressure sensor has just failed on the Vytec however it's 6-7 years old and has done around 1500 dives so not bad. Suunto repaired it quickly and pretty cheaply too.

The Core is a great all round watch, the compass comes in very useful as does the altimeter, and like all Suuntos it very simple to use. The only drawback is that it gets tatty pretty quickly if you use it in a 'harsh enviroment'! Mine is used predominately in the desert and the abrasive qualities of the sand soon make the watch look pretty shabby and the screen/face appears to be made soft material which marks very easy.
  12. I dive and sail but am a deaf as a coot which puts me off watches with high pitched alarms. Which is why, having always wanted a BFO Suunto, I have a Bog standard Seiko divers watch and dive tables.
    Put Big Ben on a Suunto and I'll spend all day telling everyone there is a storm coming
  13. As will mine be. That's a real let down. Granted it's not a dress watch, but I do like to keep things tidy.
  14. I used to have the X9i....great watch.....for about 10months. Then the CF face fell off & could I get Suunto to take it back, could i shite. I do like them but too much money for the gizmo's. I use a casio G shock with baro, alt & compass plus if i need it i have a Garmin Foretrex 301 which i my fav little piece of kit. Got both for less than half the price of an X9 replacement. Do like the Core though, but wouldn't risk it breaking again.