Any suggestions for family suv sort of thing?

Later model Freelander 2 are ok. Do not buy one built before the 2010 facelift.

Earlier ones eat their transmissions - usually the rear diff

Haldex couplings fail as do pre-2009 camshafts on the 2.2D, EGRs soot up to hell in winter if you don't do decent distance runs.

The Haldex coupling also needs fluid change and service every 3 years.

The 2WD version is more reliable and much more economical than the 4WD.

I looked at one a few years ago and one of my friends has one that he loves, but it wasn't enough of a Landrover for me and too lumbering on the road to be my day to day drive.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I have an toyota rav 4 valvematic2 ltr xp sports . Its an odd sort of car but it goes like stink when you pres the sports button .
Plenty of room for family and dog , cost me secondhand just over 11 grand it was two years old with four thousand on the clock and i have to say its the best car we ever bought . It still had warrenty but sods law kicked in just five months after warrenty ran out cost me just under a Grand to have a new system computer pur in it . that said it is the bees knees and its petrol

Suzuki S cross for me I have had two over the last 4 years and not had one issue with them

Wife is chewing through her second Ford Escape. Six years of trouble free motoring.
My B-I-L and family have three of them. One each for B-I-L and S-I-L, and when their lad turned 16, they got a third one. One of them is a Mazda Tribute, only difference is the badging. Their girl will be 16 this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if they got a 4th one!

The new model is the same as a European model, the Kuga, I think.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I ended up shamefully getting a 1.5 DCi Renault Kadjar Signature trim. I know, I know.

Buckets of space, drives great, comfy, second hand with four thousand miles for £10k with a £6500 trade in on our shit Hyundai i30. We won a watch as the Hyundai is fucked and shit but Arnold Clark don't know that. Muahaha.

Would recommend it if you don't want anything fancy.

Issue with the drivers wing mirror, grating against itself when it folds over. AC had a new one fitted asap.

Not sexy, but safe and good on board infotainment.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Similar boat, I liked the driving position. The room inside and ran a Ford Kuga without any hassle for a couple of years. Cross winds it wasn't fond of. Very comfortable, stacks of room. Good ground clearance.
Faultlessly dull, bit like a4wd Nissan note.

I replaced it with a BMW 220 4wd seven seater. I'll never use the back two seats so there's tons of room. Very comfortable, quick and incredibly stable. Works well on a motorway thrash or country road. Easy to park.

I ended up shamefully getting a 1.5 DCi Renault Kadjar Signature trim. I know, I know.

Buckets of space, drives great, comfy, second hand with four thousand miles for £10k with a £6500 trade in on our shit Hyundai i30. We won a watch as the Hyundai is fucked and shit but Arnold Clark don't know that. Muahaha.

Would recommend it if you don't want anything fancy.

Issue with the drivers wing mirror, grating against itself when it folds over. AC had a new one fitted asap.

Not sexy, but safe and good on board infotainment.
Well it's too late now isn't it? Mitsubishi super price great vehicles,pity they didn't make our tanks.

After my VW T4 that I had 'day vanned' decided to break down on Sunday (on the way back from Devon). I decided that although it had been a great van for 8 years, it was time for it to go.
I have sold it already to a mate so once it it fixed, all I will have is my motorbike.

However I have just got off the phone from agreeing a business lease for a Nissan Navara Tekna. It will be the first new vehicle that I have ever...'owned' so i'm quite excited.

Time to go full Red Neck.

:)

I'm looking for a 7 seater. The problem is it can't be too wide, as the drive down the side of the house to the garage may best be described as "snug". So something like a Tourneo is out, especially as the height of such a vehicle would also not fit in the garage.

Absolute maximum width would be 1.8m (6') to stop me scraping it down the side of the house or wrecking next doors fence, with the same height, so it can fit in the garage without hitting the up and over door.

Any suggestion please? Budget of around £15k. Thanks in advance and no, I don't want to buy your old banger. :)

I'm looking for a 7 seater. The problem is it can't be too wide, as the drive down the side of the house to the garage may best be described as "snug". So something like a Tourneo is out, especially as the height of such a vehicle would also not fit in the garage.

Absolute maximum width would be 1.8m (6') to stop me scraping it down the side of the house or wrecking next doors fence, with the same height, so it can fit in the garage without hitting the up and over door.

Any suggestion please? Budget of around £15k. Thanks in advance and no, I don't want to buy your old banger. :)
Thinnest I can see so far is a Mitsubishi Outlander at 1810mm
Most SUV's seem to be 1850-1900mm

Saved Adverts

However it looks like that is the width of the car, not the wing mirrors so I think you may be screwed on that front.

Height's not a problem. Width for a 7 seater (SUV or MPV) would probably not be achievable.
This site allows you to look at cars by individual dimensions which might help:

Car Dimensions

Bought right a proper full fat RRover with the jag v8 is worth a look.
I get 33 to the gal on a run, it’s the thing to be in if someone wants to involve you in their accident.
And to be honest getting into most of what has been described in the previous pages is like getting into a 1970s Japanese car trim wise in comparison.
Downside is due to Gordon browns tax hikes post 07 VED is a bit salty (£500 a year) but it doesn’t know when it’s got 3 tonne on the ball hitch, seats 5 like a cathedral, and after 10 secs to drop the seats it’s still a cavernous estate.
£10 k gets you a good 10 plate, stay away from the drug dealer bling, stock looks old money, and remember your here for a good time not a long time.!!.

I'm really not sure about Nissan/Renault, I don't think I could recommend their stuff, especially the diesels and the Navara.
Nissan diesel 4x4s used to be durable AF, nowadays? Not so much.
Isuzus are the ones to get apparently.

Last edited:

4(T)

LE

Its worth thinking out of the box, and checking dimensions - appearances can be deceptive!

My Ford Transit Mk6 van is actually narrower than my Freelander 2 (1.76m vs 1.91m). Some of the van-based multi-seaters have a smaller footprint than modern car SUVs.

Is it door opening that is a problem? Is so, thought of slide door models?

Thanks for the replies chaps, all very helpful. There's a tiny bit of fat on the overall width including wing mirrors, as next door's drive is about 400mm lower than ours, so I can overhang a bit on that side when going in/out.

On the other hand, there's a couple of fall pipes and grates on the house wall side, so it's really tight. I've caught the passengers door mirror on one of the pipes a few times over the years and the offside front bumper/wing on one of the neighbours fence posts. There's also a very slight turn that needs to be made to get the motor into the garage, coupled with the garage being a bit less than a cars length from the end of the house. If only the builder had built the houses 6 inches further apart all those years ago...

@Skunkmeister - concur on the widths, the few I've looked at seem to be in that range and often 3-500mm longer than a "normal" saloon car. Had a measure at the headroom under the garage door, after stopping off at a Citroen dealer on the way to pick SWMBO up today to see if a Berlingo XL would fit - it might. Just. Not sure I'd buy one on the chance it would though. The salesman was all, "It's got this gadget and that gadget on it sir". But my budget is restricted to secondhand, so I don't care what the new stuff has, I'll take whatever the secondhand one comes with, won't I! FFS.

@thegimp - door opening isn't a problem, there's plenty of room at the start of the drive to get in/out. At the end of the drive where the garage is, with VERY careful stopping, SWMBO can get out of the passenger door of the current motor but I have to pull forward a few inches so she can open the garage door.

Based on the dimensions I've found online so far, it's looking very much like something might JUST fit down the drive and into the garage but on a dark, rainy night, with the mirrors covered in raindrops, it'd be asking for either an expensive scrape on the nearside or dropping a wheel over the wall into the neighbours drive. The later would be fun and games to sort. Looks like I'm restricted to getting an estate version of a normal car - hey-ho. Thanks once again.

The Toyota Prius+ looks to be the right size but the ones in my price range all have daft amounts of mileage on them.

There's also the Dacia Lodgy, which seems very compact - but they don't sell them in the UK.

Latest Threads