Any Spitfire Fans?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by dhgrainger1, Aug 4, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just a couple of pics of the RIAT that never happened this year. They're not the best, but we were pitching tents at the time, and I didn't have time to get a decent camera out.

Attached Files:

2. Me,Me,me im a huge fan of the Spit, and the Hurricane, oh and the B-17 Sally-B which im a supporter of, though of course never forget men who flew them, being the dogs nuts as well. :)

3. A couple of guys at work mentioned the lastest Top Gear episode, apparently the chaps went to Germany to challenge a German version of the same show.

They landed in 2 seater Spit's to take on the opposition. I was at work, does anyone have a linky please !

4. 3 Spits actually!!!! Not sure about linky!

Edit: best i can do being a computer mong!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/halfbyte/2607246050/

5. Got as far as the Stig being clobbered and it all ended.

6. Have you tried the BBCIplayer? Jut google it.

7. A statue of Mitchell should be placed on the plinth in Trafalgar Square instead of that pregnant Spacca! What a machine! English engineering at it's best!

8. 100% Agreed

Shame he didn't survive to see what the machine he'd created could do to a swarm of angry Messerschmitts

9. Cad,

His statue is in Brooklands and depicts him in a flying helmet climbing upon a globe.

10. This pretty much sums it up;

Last para says it all really.

To put it into perspective, current Tornado has a service ceilling of 50,000'. Slightly unfair I know but interesting non the less.

If anyone has a leaning towards this, here are some original trial reports from A&AEE Boscombe; Spitfire Trial Reports

11. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

There you are

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00cv2s3//b00cv2qp

12. JINGO

JINGO War Hero Book Reviewer

Any Englishman who is not moved by the sight of a Spitfire in flight does not have the right to refer to himself as such! They are quite possibly the most beautiful machines ever created. They are what modern art should be.

13. Story of my boyhood 'drawing career' was trying to capture that elusive wing shape accurately... engineering and beauty we won't see again?