Any spare kit for cadets

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Harry Paget Flashman, Feb 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ladies and Gentlemen of ARRSE.

I am appealing for donations of any spare kit that may be of use to my Army Cadet Force Detachment.

As you may know, Army Cadets are issued a very basic scale of clothing. They do not get boots (these have to be purchased by the individual), gloves, socks or (in many cases) fleeces.

As regards equipment, each unit (in my local area) is issued 10 sets of OG PLCE complete with bergen. However, in a unit of 40 or so cadets, this doesn't go very far so we make it up with old '58 Pattern CEMO. All the '58 Pattern has now been written off and cannot be replaced through the system and this is now getting close to becoming beyond its useful life.

We are also a Corps of Drums and wear No.1 Dress for ceremonial occasions, although all of this has to be begged, stolen or borrowed.

If any of you have anything that you would like to donate to my cadets, please send me a PM.

Basically, if we can't use it, we will offer it to neighbouring units or sell it to raise funds to buy more equipment.

I thank you for reading.
  2. :soldier:
    think yourself lucky that you get 10 sets issued mate, we get nothing except some mess tins and maybe some water bottles. Everything else we have to beg borrow or steal.
    I currently have 8 sets of very tatty '58 webbing and 10 all arms bergans between 33 cadets, ive been looking for some PLCE but nowhere seems to have any in stock anymore. so the hunt goes on............
    Not having a direct go at you, this is as good a place as any to look for spare kit, I just think its disgraceful how the MOD sells surplus kit off to the highest bidder but wont supply it to a youth organisation that it sponsors. :cry:
  3. Might be an idea if you get the cadets to raise a few quid for H4H or another, a few members on this site might be more forthcoming with some buckshee kit that way
  4. You're quite right old chap. I've bought many items from my own pocket, but times are getting harder with finances hence my appeal on here.
  5. We already have and will continue to raise money for H4H and other ex-service organisations. The drummers perform for free in support of service events.
  6. Promote that fact on here then, I think Ive seen a few threads where some kind souls have chucked some kit the ACF way when a dontation has been made. Hols for heroes might be a good starting point since its closely associated with ARRSE.
  7. I think you just promoted it for me. Thanks for the suggestion.
  8. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

I think the stores situation is better over here in NI,While they dont get boot's,they get a full issue of S-95 kit,waterbottles & other goodies.
  9. I think the sit in NI is because of the home serve battalions my old unit got most of 3 R Irish store a few years back.
  10. Cant understand why all E0 kit goes back to field textiles, when a lot of it could be utilised by the cadets.
  11. Harry, are you familiar with Field Textiles policy re Cadet Forces?

Although they are a wholesaler, you can deal with them directly, and if you collect and sort your own order, the savings are massive.
  12. I am thank you (and I have dealt with them from previous units).

My problem is that we have almost no funds within the unit and this will take time to build - time I don't have really as Annual Camp looms. We've been very successful at recruiting and lack the ability to equip all our cadets for camp.
  13. Currently the only EO kit that is sent back to Field Textiles is that which is no longer servicable!

PLCE, Sleeping systems, smocks etc are re-conditioned as can most items then re-issued. However most kit i receive back in is trashed anyway!

From what i have heard Field textiles shelfs are thinning out!
  14. Bump :)

I'll post one set of websters kit next week (made up webbing, grab-bag, mess-tin, water-bottle, steel mug and camelbak).

(none of it is on my flick before any fucker asks :D )
  15. That is the biggest CON I ever did see. I spoke to a QM about it and I feel someone is pocketing a tidy wage packet of it.