Any soldiers/officers with a stammer?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Evol, Jun 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey Guys,

First off would like to say thanks for the wealth of knowledge this site has been for me. I'm currently a 19 year old who's working in IT but thinking of joining the TA or maybe the regular Army.

I'm quite keen on going on the direct to officer course but was wondering if any people on the board have a stammer and if this has hindered their progression in the army.

Mine's not that bad, I think its phasing out at the moment slowly and if you have one you'll know that in a pretty hetic situation ie a battle you completely forget about it.

Do the army have a certain stance on it?

Thanks for reading.

2. N-n-n-n-n-n-no.

:D

3. For what its worth..knew several Officers with stammers and 'stammer' had not affected their carrers..also a soldier who stammered until he had to give a lesson or dj his own disco..and then he was word pefect.so do not look at it as a problem just be your self and you will be judged as such..Good Luck!!

4. Having read your post, you wouldn't notice that you've got a stammer. ;)

Seriously, I find that if I don't think too much about the actual words that I'm going to use, it doesn't happen. I know a lad who stammers a lot - but only in social conversation. When he's getting on with the job, he doesn't think about stammering, so he doesn't.

The worst thing is trying to fight through it. Relax, take a few breaths, then rephrase.

It may be best, though, if you avoid trades where stammering could be a problem - signaller, for instance, where you don't have the option of rephrasing.

5. I had a terrible stammer when I was younger but speach therapy has limited it to when I'm drunk or very excited! People will take the piss but so what? I'm dong fine and I can't think of one example where my stammer has hindered me. However, there have been many times that my in-abilty to shoot out a "witty" one liner (aka drop a total clanger infront of the boss) has saved my arrse!

Now if I'm talking to the the head-shed etc I just take my time and don't rush things. It gives the impression that I know what I'm talking about!

T C

6. If I recall correctly, your Commander in Chief from 1936 until 1952 had a stammer. My recollection of the period is dim but I would doubt very much if anybody criticised his stammer. I do recall the stammer in radio broadcasts but cannot say if they were before his death or recordings.

7. Knew several officers and NCOs with stammers and had no problem with their army careers. Yes they had the piss ripped out of them, but it is the army they were in

8. My CSM had a stammer and a lisp, was hard as nails. Used to brief us up prior to clear lower decks

"If I c-c-c-cant issue the c-c-c-c-ommand to H-H-Halt you c-c-c-c-unts better fef fe fe fe fecking stop yerselves"

9. I've come across both officers and NCOs with stammer, and neither of them seem to have been held back by their stammer. In fact the officer is doing pretty damn well for himself at the moment - just don't butt in when he hasn't finished his sentence yet!
    Amusingly, the officer in question was once an instructor (I'm not sure where) and was DSing an exercise which included the NCO in question, then a very junior and so not very confident Private. Much confusion kicked off:
    Officer: 'w w w what do you think you are doing, private?'
    Pte: 'd d d d digging in s s sir.'
    Officer: 'w w w what!?'
    Pte: 'd d d digging my sh sh shell scrape?'
    Officer: 'Are you t t t taking the piss?'
    Pte: 'N n n o, s s sir!'

etc, etc, until the situation was diffused by someone pointing out that Pte X actually had a stutter and wasn't taking the piss!

10. F.f..f...f..f..****, I wished that I'd f...f..f..f.found this f...f...f..f..f*cking thread f..f..f...f..first.

11. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I think you will find that his stammer occurred before his death, or I could be wrong.

12. Not that it matters but here's a debate on whether Churchill stuttered or had a speech impediment.

http://www.winstonchurchill.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=100

13. That's not a stammer, Biscuits, that's Tourettes.

14. Cool, thanks for the info guys, pretty much made up my mind then.

Thanks again,

15. Another happy customer