Any Royal Tank units serve in Bessbrook

Discussion in 'RAC' started by gauis, Feb 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Did any Royal Tank units serve in Bessbrook during the 70's or 80's?

2. I know it is out of your year bracket but X Sqn 3 RTR did from Sept 90 - Feb 91!

3. 2 rtr helped out on a couple of small ops but it was only hours ,flown in and out stuff...77 i think..

4. 4 RTR 1971, lost a guy to a culvert bomb.

5. 1 RTR never went to South Armagh and as there were only 4 RTR's during that time period I think your question has been well and truley answered by the MIB community.

FEAR NAUGHT

6. thanks everyone for there help

7. I think you'll find the reason for that was the fact that Bessbrook was a feeder station for Forkhill and XMG - the two most dangerous outposts in the Empire. For that reason it was always either para/marine, or at best very good line inf regts who did BB.

Not denigrating any RAC regts in that, but RAC have to relearn infantry skills when dismounted. BB wasn't really a suitable posting for us until the end was nigh.

8. That'll be why the QRH/QRIH didnt deploy there then, as they weren't v adaptable at taking on new challenges, whereas 3RTR did. :blowkiss: Albeit, the end was nigh and we amalgamated 2 years later :pissedoff:

9. Well, Good + Good = Better in my honest opinion.

10. Served there as an individual attached to 3 RGJ during that period, in the very early days the Sqn based at St Angelo used to have a troop of Saladin detached there. Any help?

11. Sorry to let the air out of your bag but the QRIH did deploy there.

12. I thought they did, to be fair, so apologies all round

13. Accepted.

14. Well, i will do some checking but i think my old Regiment did (16/5th QRL) early 1970

15. 16/5L served from 1971 - 73 Lisanelly Bks Omagh. Saladins, Saracens, ferrets and an Air Sqn with Souix. Out stations, St Angelo, Belleek, Clogher, and were involved in Motorman.

Hope this helps