Any Royal Northumberland Fusiliers out there?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by dropshortjock, Nov 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. All

A quick request that if anyone was a Royal Northumberland Fusilier (Fighting Fifth), could they drop me a PM? I am trying to do some background work on tracing someone who served with my grandfather (5th Fusiliers) in around 1959 - 1960.

If any of you are out there - please drop me a line! Thank you very much.

(MODs - posted in both Infantry and Old 'n' Bold - please delete one if double post is unhelpful).

DSJ

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Not me but some of mine were. All them films about Changi and Bridge Over The River Kwai didnt ring right because they never had Geordie accents.

Maybe take a walk up Alnwick Castle? Theres a museum there. Not the best museum in the world, but the Castle is worth a look.

Or if you want to understand the Fifth from an armchair, do a Google on The Fusiliers Museum of Northumberland. They are dead helpful. Ask them if they have found my Uncle Cecils watch?

He had it stashed somewhere warm and safe when he went in the bag, and the family would like it back.

Good luck.

3. Thanks very much - I've fired off emails to them and RHQ of the RRF will also be contacted. I'm in the process of emailing the Legion in Northumberland, too - see if I get any joy from that. But thought that ARRSE might well come up trumps and was worth a try.

4. My Great Grandad was Northumberland Fusiliers in WW1, doesn't help you but thought I'd mention it anyway.

5. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Contact The Asst Regt Sec at RHQ (ie The Tower of London). I've spoken to him a couple of times on a similar matter and he is incredibly helpful. Your best bet is to phone during office hours.

6. Thanks to all once more. All sorts of letters/emails now being fired off so with a bit of luck success will be imminent!

7. The 'Fighting Fifth' were a superb regiment. I think they raised more Bns in WW1 than there are in the present day British Army. A Great Great Uncle won an MC with the NFs in WW1 a Great Uncle also served with them and died at the hands of the Japs after the fall of Singapore.

Good luck.

8. I served in the R.N.F. from 1958 - 1964. Stationed in Hong Kong and Lemgo Germany.
    I should know your Grandad.
    Brian Wilson

9. Hi Brian,

Did you ever do the UN Honour Guard duty in Korea?

I didn't (a bit before my time!)but I recall an article about the RNFs doing the duty and it sticks in my mind as it was the only time I've come across a formation sign ('Honor Guard') worn on No1 dress.

Does anyone know when this duty for the resident infantry bns in Hong Kong stopped?

10. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I might add that my uncle joined the Northumberland Hussars in September 1939, his squadron promptly became a cadre for a Light Anti-Aircraft Artillery battery and he drove across three invasion beaches (Sicily, Italy and Normandy) on respective D-Days but it would be even less help. I only found out from his eulogy and it made me unbelievably proud of the very quiet man I had known.