Any room for a convict in the ranks?

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by SMiller, Aug 22, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. G'day lads,

If you can't tell by the title and the strange greeting. I'm an Aussie, and I'm looking to join up! But who to join? I'm not sure about that yet. I'm still tossing up between the Para's and the Royal Marines (I know its Navy, but I'll have to come to terms with that eventually).

I'm just looking for some advice (bias accepted) on where's the place to go and why.

Also, is there a difference in BMI allowed for the units? I was told 26 by recruiting, and that it doesn't matter if you're fit or not. I'm currently 85kg and 170cm, so I'm closer to the 30's with my BMI, but I'm pretty solid, definately not a porky pie!

Anyway, on with the comments!

2. Are you currently RAR, if you dont mind me asking?

3. Not at all mate.

No, I'm not in the ADF in any way shape or form at the moment, the closest I do is as an Army Cadet.

I'm still looking at the ADF, but I want to go to the UK so I can join an unit that will give me more options further along in my career, and fight for a country that fights, instead of sending SF to do the Infantry's job.

All our grunts have done recently is peace-keeping and some SecDet work in Iraq, I mean, yes, its an important job, but if I wanted to do security work, I'd do ExecProtection and earn a couple hundred thousand a year.

Sam

4. I am aware of aussies that have joined the RLC in the last few years, and REME also. If you are looking towards inf, have a look at the WFR.

5. WFR? May we ask why?

6. Only as I have family links, area links etc. Then again, I have both with REME, RLC (RAOC), RTR, Guards & more.

7. Join the Corps...it has all it's Units in Holiday resorts...as for the Navy you will never come to terms with it and don't need to any way.

We used to have a fair amount of South Africans of the bleached type...never saw an Aus apart from exchange.

I am surprised you do not have the RAF Regiment on your shopping list as well...I heard they are pretty good in their own minds.

Chris

8. Sorry guys, I don't know the abbreviations, why can't you just number them like the rest of us!

If the RAF Regiment is anything like the ADG's back here, they're just wannabe special forces.

But seriously, career wise, who do you think is on top, RM's or Paras?

9. I can think of Aussies in quite a few infantry regiments including, offhand, Royal Anglians, Staffords and Royal Welch. I am sure that there are very many others. If you can't visit them to see who you like, then go somewhere where you already have friends or someone you know. If you can't do either of these, look at where units are posted (and going to be posted) to see what takes your fancy. You will end up proud of whatever mob you join.

10. I just got off the phone with the RM recruiter, and I've got to say, I'm intimidated.

I should be receiving my Prelim. package within 10 days, then I'll be invited over for a chat by an Officer, then will go onto the 3 Day Prelim course, which I've just found out is 50Miles in 8Hrs with marching order. I knew it would be hard, but this is super-human, it'll be a new look me by the time I leave!

So, if anyone could direct me to a RM mate of theirs, or just someone who'd love to help out a wannabe like myself in getting prepared for what looks like the hardest course I'll ever do, I'd be much obliged!

Cheers lads,
    Sam

11. RM's are tough and so is the course, but not impossible. i recently recommended the Booties over the Para's as i consider them to be, on average, brighter. Both units are, for all intents and purposes, of equal value in a fight.

If you are still interested in the Infantry though, do not worry, there are Aussies in almost every regiment. as a fellow colonial i can assure you that it will no probs. Also, don't limit yourself, if you've got any professional skill (assume you must as your an old git), why not think of one of the Corps or the Gunners? (why i have a very good friend whose a Gunner!!) As they have both a Para and a RM unit.

Head into an Army Recruiting office (if you can find one).

ARMY

BE DEPRESSED

12. Old git? I'm 17 mate.

13. sorry, sorry, just looked over your original email and you mentioned you were in your 30's, but you meant BMI (whatever the feck that is?????)

anyway, info still stands

14. .......Bootnecks brighter than Para's 8O the only people who believe that are the Marines :lol: You might be better off trying here http://www.militaryforums.co.uk/forums instead, full of wanabee booties, Para's, SAS and SBS.

[/b]

15. Haha, yes mate. But those are wannabe's that are content to be arm-chair Generals! Those that would dare walk into a recruiting office are few and far between (on that forum anyway).

BMI?
    BMI is your Body Mass Index, its a height to weight ratio. I'm 170cm and 190lbs at this stage, for the para's that's apparently a little extreme, for the RM's, dunno, the recruiter didn't know what I was on about either!

Sam