Discussion in 'Southern Africa' started by radar712, Nov 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Even though when I left Rhodesian and ran for SA I was only a child,I am still proud to call myself a Rhodesian,was just wondering if there was any more in the British Army proud to call themselves Rhodesian
  2. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I can think of a couple of Rhodies, but there are more Zimbos.
  3. Well I know for a fact that there are plenty of South Africans in the British Army at the moment, South Africa being the 2nd highest recruiting area outside Britain itself. I am sure there are a few of our Zimbo cuzzies in HM forces as well. :)
  4. Most are Zimbos by birth now , it was 28 years ago after all.

I joined in 1980 did 27 years and then left but am still a Rhodie by birth.

Even with my 3 birth certificates S.Rhodesia, Rhodesia and Zimbabwe .
  5. I was in from 1990 to 1999.

3 from my little Boarding School in Zimbabwe when I went through RMAS. Good strike rate or we just weren't much good for anything else.
  6. I met a Signals bloke a couple of years ago on a course, he had the Selous Scouts Badge tattooed on him:

I said to him " Selous Scouts Mate?"

He shook my arm out of its socket, telling me I was the first person to know what it was as everyone thinks its a Nazi Eagle!
  7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Did he infer he was an opr ?
  8. No, he was miles too young, his old man was in them, I mentioned I had read "No mean Soldier" by Pete Macaleese, he said "Fcuk him, he badmouthed my old man in that book" I left it at that!
  9. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I did TA PCBC with a bloke who was ex-Grey's Scouts. Good man but he earned himself an interview without coffee with the Chief Instructort for 'shooting' prisoners on ex. Greek name.
  10. There was another one in 2 Wessex in the early 90's, my enduring memory of him was when he posted a thunderflash into a postbox in Oakhampton, cant remember his name, top bloke though:
    "I'll put the fcuking jiji on you Mr Fcuker" or words to that affect!
  11. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

If you want a good book on the Scouts, find a copy of Only My Friends Call Me "Crouks" by Dennis Croukamp.
    It's as true an account as you're ever likely to hear, incuding the six day hot E&E.
  12. Which boarding school?
  13. Falcon College. Posh like.
  14. I had an ex-Selous Sergeant instructor during a course. Turned out he was in their stores... :( Absolute blinder of a wife, though :lol: