ANY RHODESIAN IN THE BRITISH ARMY

Even though when I left Rhodesian and ran for SA I was only a child,I am still proud to call myself a Rhodesian,was just wondering if there was any more in the British Army proud to call themselves Rhodesian

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I can think of a couple of Rhodies, but there are more Zimbos.

Well I know for a fact that there are plenty of South Africans in the British Army at the moment, South Africa being the 2nd highest recruiting area outside Britain itself. I am sure there are a few of our Zimbo cuzzies in HM forces as well. :)

Most are Zimbos by birth now , it was 28 years ago after all.

I joined in 1980 did 27 years and then left but am still a Rhodie by birth.

Even with my 3 birth certificates S.Rhodesia, Rhodesia and Zimbabwe .

I was in from 1990 to 1999.

3 from my little Boarding School in Zimbabwe when I went through RMAS. Good strike rate or we just weren't much good for anything else.

I met a Signals bloke a couple of years ago on a course, he had the Selous Scouts Badge tattooed on him:

I said to him " Selous Scouts Mate?"

He shook my arm out of its socket, telling me I was the first person to know what it was as everyone thinks its a Nazi Eagle!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Barrack Room Lawyer said:
I met a Signals bloke a couple of years ago on a course, he had the Selous Scouts Badge tattooed on him:

I said to him " Selous Scouts Mate?"

He shook my arm out of its socket, telling me I was the first person to know what it was as everyone thinks its a Nazi Eagle!
Did he infer he was an opr ?

No, he was miles too young, his old man was in them, I mentioned I had read "No mean Soldier" by Pete Macaleese, he said "Fcuk him, he badmouthed my old man in that book" I left it at that!

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I did TA PCBC with a bloke who was ex-Grey's Scouts. Good man but he earned himself an interview without coffee with the Chief Instructort for 'shooting' prisoners on ex. Greek name.

There was another one in 2 Wessex in the early 90's, my enduring memory of him was when he posted a thunderflash into a postbox in Oakhampton, cant remember his name, top bloke though:
"I'll put the fcuking jiji on you Mr Fcuker" or words to that affect!

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
No, he was miles too young, his old man was in them, I mentioned I had read "No mean Soldier" by Pete Macaleese, he said "Fcuk him, he badmouthed my old man in that book" I left it at that!
If you want a good book on the Scouts, find a copy of Only My Friends Call Me "Crouks" by Dennis Croukamp.
It's as true an account as you're ever likely to hear, incuding the six day hot E&E.

Zulu_w said:

3 from my little Boarding School in Zimbabwe when I went through RMAS. Good strike rate or we just weren't much good for anything else.
Which boarding school?

Stewi said:
Zulu_w said:

Which boarding school?
Falcon College. Posh like.

I had the privilege to meet Ron Reid-Daly in October - he was over for the dedication of the RLI Troopie at Hatfield House. I met him at a book launch at RMP Rochester Row - check out the gallery at www.30degreessouth.co.uk - toppers guy - hard as nails.

The padre at Chicksands is ex Selous Scouts - lovely guy

Bloke who lived opposite me until a year or two back was ex-Greys Scouts; he showd me a book about them complete with a pic of him dismounting and remounting a horse at what looked like a rather rapid rate of knots - he looked like he was pooping himself...

I was a recruit in the early nineties.

One of our lads was fiercely proud of being Rhodesian.

He was a good lad,would love to meet up with him for a beer sometime.....

Served with a WO who was ex RLI and had served during the "Independence War" ( had a nasty looking GSW scar!), good oke and well clued up always got on well with him may well have been a Southern Africa thing.