Any recommendations ?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by **CuNnInG StUnT **, Jan 4, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone recommend any books to read which give a realistic portrayal of the life as a platoon commander ?

Much obliged !

2. Maybe try 'The Junior Officer's Reading Club' by Patrick Hennessey

• Like Like x 1
  3. Yeah read that one , not a bad read at all ! Also read 'faces of war' and 'bugles and a tiger'... Looking for something recent and exciting !

4. How about SAS Autobiographies? I'm just reading it now and it's pretty good but has nothing in it to do with being a platoon commander if that's just what you're looking for.

5. Callsign Hades is probably the best one I have read.

6. I'd agree with siz87 callsign hades, though i've never been a platoon commander so it might be a bag of arrse. I've been a platoon sgt and from my experience the bloke in question does a decent job of motivating his blokes and keeping up moral.

7. Try "Ears For Souvenirs - Baldwin, my part in his downfall" by Yusuf Salah ad-Din.
    Enlightening.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I've heard pretty strong reviews about 'call sign hades' , I'll get that one next ! 'ears for souvenirs' also sounds like a pretty compelling read .

Reading ranulph fiennes's autobiography 'mad bad and dangerous ' at the moment . Well worth a read if you happen to see it on the shelf !

9. Not a book, but try watching "A Serbian Film" Great portrayal of the "Balkan Conflict". You will be enlightened.

10. "Carry on up the Kyber" is really good!

• Like Like x 1
  11. 'Nine Lives' by Alan Deere - his account of his time as a Spitfire pilot from '39-45.
    Amazing scrapes he survived somehow.

Obviously - a bit removed from infantry work! But as an example of mental fortitude and grit, its excellent.

12. I quite enjoyed "Extreme Risk" by Major Chris Hunter.... he discusses his time at Sandhurst, his time as a platoon commander and then he moves into EOD so discusses all the tests involved, the boredom, the excitement etc...

Ive just read that you wanted a realistic portrayal... this might not be the book... but its pretty interesting none the less...

13. platoon commander! aim high... Mein Kampf!

14. 'Bullet Magnet' by Mick Flynn is a pretty good read, really interesting to hear war stories from a guy who's served in both the Falklands and Afghanistan.

15. I met him prior to going into MQ in 2006. The lads from HCR loved him...top man!