Any recommendations ?

How about SAS Autobiographies? I'm just reading it now and it's pretty good but has nothing in it to do with being a platoon commander if that's just what you're looking for.

I'd agree with siz87 callsign hades, though i've never been a platoon commander so it might be a bag of arrse. I've been a platoon sgt and from my experience the bloke in question does a decent job of motivating his blokes and keeping up moral.

Try "Ears For Souvenirs - Baldwin, my part in his downfall" by Yusuf Salah ad-Din.
Enlightening.

I've heard pretty strong reviews about 'call sign hades' , I'll get that one next ! 'ears for souvenirs' also sounds like a pretty compelling read .

Reading ranulph fiennes's autobiography 'mad bad and dangerous ' at the moment . Well worth a read if you happen to see it on the shelf !

Not a book, but try watching "A Serbian Film" Great portrayal of the "Balkan Conflict". You will be enlightened.

'Nine Lives' by Alan Deere - his account of his time as a Spitfire pilot from '39-45.
Amazing scrapes he survived somehow.

Obviously - a bit removed from infantry work! But as an example of mental fortitude and grit, its excellent.

I quite enjoyed "Extreme Risk" by Major Chris Hunter.... he discusses his time at Sandhurst, his time as a platoon commander and then he moves into EOD so discusses all the tests involved, the boredom, the excitement etc...

Ive just read that you wanted a realistic portrayal... this might not be the book... but its pretty interesting none the less...

18 Platoon-Sydney Jary.

Totally agree with TARA. 18 Platoon is a really good read and gives you an insight as to what is expected of you as a platoon commander in the most horrific conditions/situations possible. It also gives you an understanding about the importance of the relationship between platoon commander and his men. That golden phrase of 'selfless commitment' rings true here. Also, there is a healthy amount of infantry tactics in here which we would all do well to put into practice. A MUST for all aspiring OCdts.

Callsign Hades is another which has been mentioned. A real page turner from the modern era which captivates the reader. You can actually imagine what it would be like to be there. Recommended.

Although not entirely about platoon commanders, I can recommend Dead Men Risen by Toby Harnden. It has the account of the death of Lt Mark Evison, 1st Battalion Welsh Guards in there. The account of his life and death is quite moving. He was in impeccable youg officer and it really shows by the tributes left by his soldiers and commanding officers alike. You can also get hold of his journal online which is a very interesting read as well.

Sorry for the ramble chaps

Totally agree with TARA. 18 Platoon is a really good read and gives you an insight as to what is expected of you as a platoon commander in the most horrific conditions/situations possible. It also gives you an understanding about the importance of the relationship between platoon commander and his men. That golden phrase of 'selfless commitment' rings true here. Also, there is a healthy amount of infantry tactics in here which we would all do well to put into practice. A MUST for all aspiring OCdts.

Callsign Hades is another which has been mentioned. A real page turner from the modern era which captivates the reader. You can actually imagine what it would be like to be there. Recommended.

Although not entirely about platoon commanders, I can recommend Dead Men Risen by Toby Harnden. It has the account of the death of Lt Mark Evison, 1st Battalion Welsh Guards in there. The account of his life and death is quite moving. He was in impeccable youg officer and it really shows by the tributes left by his soldiers and commanding officers alike. You can also get hold of his journal online which is a very interesting read as well.

Sorry for the ramble chaps
My only issue with dead men risen is it's obvious bias. Is it not a bit funny that everyone killed was impeccable and had never put a foot wrong? I also have issues with the criticism of a particular officer in the book.

Never read call sign hades, so can't comment but 18 Platoon is on the reading list at Sandhurst.

I would also recommend Dusty Warriors by Richard Holmes as well as soldiers by the same author.

The junior officers reading club is written in an annoying stream of consciousness style and IMHO the author is a bit of a belter.

Read Flashman, relevant for certain parts of the world.

My only issue with dead men risen is it's obvious bias. Is it not a bit funny that everyone killed was impeccable and had never put a foot wrong? I also have issues with the criticism of a particular officer in the book.

Never read call sign hades, so can't comment but 18 Platoon is on the reading list at Sandhurst.

I would also recommend Dusty Warriors by Richard Holmes as well as soldiers by the same author.

The junior officers reading club is written in an annoying stream of consciousness style and IMHO the author is a bit of a belter.

Read Flashman, relevant for certain parts of the world.
What makes you say that?