Any recommandation for books on the Special Operations Executive ?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by fantassin, Jun 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's all in the title...which ones would you recommend on the mass of books available on the subject ? Any book by MRD Foot to start with ?

Thank you...

2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Norwegian Resistance: 1940-1945

Author
    Tore Gjelsvik
    Excellant book and very informative, tells you more about SOE ops on the ground than many other so called SOE disclosure titles.

3. Anything by MRD Foot is good IMHO - try 'SOE in France' part of the Official History.

• Like Like x 2
  4. MRD Foot (1999) SOE: An Outline History of the Special Operations Executive. Third Edition. London:pimlico

Truly excellent. Available here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0712665854/?tag=armrumser-21 It seems to be available in most branches of Waterstones at most times. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. "A Quiet Courage" by Liane Jones
    "Women who lived for danger" by Marcus Binney

FANY (PRVC) - Princess Royal's Volunteer Corps - Bibliography any off this list
    "My war in SOE" by Harry Verlander
    "Secret Agent" by David Stafford
    "Gubbins and SOE" by Peter Wilkinson and Joan Bright Astley
    "Churchill's Secret Agent" by Josephine Butler

is there a particular area you are interested in?

6. Thank you all for your suggestions.

To answer your question, yes, I would be more interested by the Op carried out in France (F and RF sections).

For those who are interested in SOE history, a French publishing company has started a series of books on SOE equipment. The first was released last year (radio equipment) and the next should be coming out pretty soon I reckon.

Attached Files:

• SOE.jpg
      SOE.jpg
      File size:
      40.3 KB
      Views:
  7. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

I think its now out of print, but 'Resistance: European Resistance to Nazism:- 1940-1945' by MRD Foot is a good read. It covers techniques, personalities and results.

Wordsmith

8. A Life in Secrets: Vera Atkins and the Missing Agents of WWII
    by Sarah Helm

Turncoat: The Strange Case of British Sergeant Harold Cole, the Worst Traitor of the War
    by Brendan Murphy

9. Leo Marks' book, "Between Silk and Cyanide", is well worth reading.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Probably not what you're looking for but if you want a good read about some amazing men (Norwegian and sort of attached to SOE) then read 'The Shetland Bus' by David Howarth.

Leif Larsen was one of the skippers on the Shetland Bus operations and ended up as the most highly decorated allied naval officer of WW2 (DSO, DSC, CGM, DSM & Bar plus Norwegian gallantry medals)

Leif Larsen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 2
  11. MI9: by the late Professor MRD Foot & J M Langley

The Women Who Lived For Danger : Marcus Binney

Sabotage and Subversion : The SOE And OSS At War : Ian Dear

12. Thanks again to all; "SOE in France" by MRD FOOT in the CASS edition and "Shetland Bus" in soft cover ordered....

13. 'The Secret History of SOE,' the official history published by St Ermins Press.

14. Seconded. Outstanding book.

15. "Churchill's Secret Agent" by Josephine Butler really good