Any Rail Enthusiasts out there?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by pongo6863, Dec 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know I'm at the risk of a lot of abuse here but there isn't a Rail Enthusiasts/Trainspotters forum anywhere.

OK, my problem is that I've been asked by a friend to build a stand-alone Windows program for Rail Enthusiasts. It's proposed that it be similar in function to PC Tops but with refinements. I am not a Rail Enthusiast/Trainspotter so I've no inside knowledge and must therefore rely on help and input from those who are.

My questions are:
    1. Is this a viable proposition?
    2. Would it sell?
    3. If this is your hobby what would you like to be incorporated?
    If you want to PM me fine, but I'm really in need of some encouragement before I spend a year of my time, and probably around £200, programming a product that is only of interest to one man.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Why would you think you would get any abuse here? Of course you wont. Trains are the best thing since bicycles.
  3. Oh, crikey, time to dig out the Anorak, Duffle Bag and Scotch plaid Flask.

45504 Royal Signals, 45528 REME, 46130 The West Yorkshire Regiment.

See, there is life in East Anglia.......go for it but get the Flack Jkt ready, for

there will definately be 'incoming'
  4. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

5. Ah, a Streak wor059.jpg
  6. Nothing wrong with trains. Proper toys for proper boys. All those who do not agree, are puffs. Or RAF.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Or RN.

Attached Files:

8. Or RCT.

Attached Files:

9. Has nobody actually read my original post?
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Or, even worse, riggies. Now they are real woofters, let met tell you all that!

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pssst, I've still got two Nameplates up for sale, they both fell off A1's.

Offers over £25k........each, that is!
  12. My Dad would love it.
    I would have to buy him a PC, though!
    I think a lot of rail freaks would love it. Looking at the ammount of merchandise on sale in the trainspotters' shops (on and off line), it would make money.
    But, hey, I am no expert on this matter.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. petit_anjou.jpg

Le Petit Anjou - a preserved railway.

My man would be interested in assisting with the development of your programme and asks that you PM me.
  14. Thanks, the first answer to my questions!
  15. Yes, mate, there will be lots of interest, there are still lots of 'Gricers' about.
    I think you could struggle to find something new but if you can you will be onto
    a winner, check out the number of Preserved Steam Railways and the Visitors to
    A visit to W H Smiths, looking for Rail Magazines....loads available, shows just
    how much interest there still is out there.

I have an extensive Library of Steam publications, right back to bound Volumes
    of 'Trains Illustrated' from the 50's and 60's, if you need any help, I'm up for it!

Why don't you start a new group on here?...check out
    the previous Topics/Posts, there is definately interest.