Any place for a bookish sort in the IntCorps?

Cicero63

Swinger
Hi all,

I'm a current final year undergraduate, reading for a degree in what is effectively History and Classics. One option I've been looking at post-graduation is having a crack at applying to be an officer, with the intention of having a go at IntCorps selection assuming I get that far. I'll be the first to admit that my degree is hardly technical, and I'm definitely more academic than practical as a rule, having the general physique of a stick insect (though this is something I'm very much working on!). Obviously, the enemy won't be overly fearful of my in-depth knowledge of the political situation at Rome in 63 BC, but I do flatter myself to think that I've developed some skills of source analysis and evaluation, the processing and summarising of information etc, and I like to think that I'm fairly clued up on current affairs. Would these be the sorts of attributes -more general desirable officer characteristics notwithstanding- that would put me in good stead so far as my application is concerned, or would they be more after language (again, not sure Latin counts) or science types?

Thanks

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
Nothing you've said there would rule you out, and your analytical background would be a positive.

Give it a bash. What's to lose? And if you don't succeed in the officer route, you might find your skillset useful as an operator.

Any particular reason you're set on the officer route? Most of the soldiers in the Corps probably have degrees, and more than a smattering of Masters etc. You might wish to consider whether you primarily want to be a "doer" or a "manager".

And don't knock your knowledge of ancient Rome. In a while, @Sarastro will pop in to tell you how useful some of those "15th of March 44BC" skills could prove in the Intelligence Corps :D

Cicero63

Swinger
Nothing you've said there would rule you out, and your analytical background would be a positive.

Give it a bash. What's to lose? And if you don't succeed in the officer route, you might find your skillset useful as an operator.

Any particular reason you're set on the officer route? Most of the soldiers in the Corps probably have degrees, and more than a smattering of Masters etc. You might wish to consider whether you primarily want to be a "doer" or a "manager".

And don't knock your knowledge of ancient Rome. In a while, @Sarastro will pop in to tell you how useful some of those "15th of March 44BC" skills could prove in the Intelligence Corps :D
Thanks for you help- to be honest, one of the things which does genuinely appeal to me is the manager aspect. It's not snobbery that's causing me to veer away from the solider route, but more the sorts of things I'd assume I'd be getting up to. I'll be sure to keep in mind the key take away from the Ides of March; never trust someone with a bloody silly name like 'Brutus'.

Cicero63

Swinger
Anything in particular?
I should rephrase. I'm doing my best to think in terms, given how competitive I understand both soldier and officer selection to be, of what I can offer the army, rather than what I want out of them. As it stands, my strengths are in, as I said above, analysis and evaluation. I would also add that my degree effectively revolves around the process of drawing together various strands of evidence, and producing something vaguely coherent at the other end. Owing to the nature of teaching at my university, I am then required to present my argument directly to often quite senior academics, and defend it if necessary. I also spent quite a bit of time performing a student representative role, which aside from being a complete waste of time, forced me to appear credible before the head of my faculty. From my reading of the literature, these sorts of things (allowing of course for the fact that the circumstances would be rather different) would seem to point me in the direction of officer roles, especially if -being realistic- I end up somewhere other than the IntCorps. When one adds in the management aspect, which does appeal to me, the soldier route comes up short, though that isn't to say it would not be a fantastic career for those suited to it.

CRmeansCeilingReached

ADC
I should rephrase. I'm doing my best to think in terms, given how competitive I understand both soldier and officer selection to be, of what I can offer the army, rather than what I want out of them. As it stands, my strengths are in, as I said above, analysis and evaluation. I would also add that my degree effectively revolves around the process of drawing together various strands of evidence, and producing something vaguely coherent at the other end. Owing to the nature of teaching at my university, I am then required to present my argument directly to often quite senior academics, and defend it if necessary. I also spent quite a bit of time performing a student representative role, which aside from being a complete waste of time, forced me to appear credible before the head of my faculty. From my reading of the literature, these sorts of things (allowing of course for the fact that the circumstances would be rather different) would seem to point me in the direction of officer roles, especially if -being realistic- I end up somewhere other than the IntCorps. When one adds in the management aspect, which does appeal to me, the soldier route comes up short, though that isn't to say it would not be a fantastic career for those suited to it.
Sounds like your preference is, in order: 1) Int Corps officer 2) other officer

IMHO your skillset and earlier description might indicate suitability of: 1) Int Corps officer 2) Int Corps soldier 3) other officer.

Just a thought. (and management is not only done by officers)

Cicero63

Swinger
Sounds like your preference is, in order: 1) Int Corps officer 2) other officer

IMHO your skillset and earlier description might indicate suitability of: 1) Int Corps officer 2) Int Corps soldier 3) other officer.

Just a thought. (and management is not only done by officers)
Hmm, much food for thought- you are most probably correct. I should add that I've also been looking at the Royal Logistics Corps, failing the IntCorps. I'm at something of a crossroads- my parents, lawyers themselves, want me to become a lawyer, which though remunerative sounds utterly dire. I'd personally rather not spend my most physically and mentally agile decades doing legal drafting, which is the single most dreary task known to mankind, but there we are (I've no doubt army life has its fair share of dull paperwork, but at least it, in theory, is for a higher purpose). I'm going to ring my local careers centre tomorrow and try to have a chat with someone about these issues- thanks for all your help!

Cicero63

Swinger
Unless you mean ATO, then I'm not talking to you any more :D

On a completely unconnected note, I want to play football for Liverpool FC. But failing that, Leyton Orient.
Ha! Friend of mine at school had a plan of going for the RLC as an officer, so he could avoid being shot at in WW3 if we all got conscripted (he's convinced it is imminent). I more meant that the big picture stuff that their recruiting material claims they do sounds interesting and the sort of thing an analysis background might be good for- and I'm a pessimist about my own chances. Not sure I'd be any good at bomb disposal- shaky hands in spite of not drinking.

Russ Abbot

Clanker
Hmm, much food for thought- you are most probably correct. I should add that I've also been looking at the Royal Logistics Corps, failing the IntCorps. I'm at something of a crossroads- my parents, lawyers themselves, want me to become a lawyer, which though remunerative sounds utterly dire. I'd personally rather not spend my most physically and mentally agile decades doing legal drafting, which is the single most dreary task known to mankind, but there we are (I've no doubt army life has its fair share of dull paperwork, but at least it, in theory, is for a higher purpose). I'm going to ring my local careers centre tomorrow and try to have a chat with someone about these issues- thanks for all your help!
On the lawyer side of the equation, aim to become a Barrister perhaps instead of just a solicitor ? QC? The potential for management development is very good down that route, plus self employment etc. just a thought...

Cicero63

Swinger
On the lawyer side of the equation, aim to become a Barrister perhaps instead of just a solicitor ? QC? The potential for management development is very good down that route, plus self employment etc. just a thought...
I had thought about it, but it is a jolly lonely job being a barrister (one in the family) + self-employment means less job security, and if you become a QC you have to bugger about in a silly wig. Not very fetching at all.

Hi all,

I'm a current final year undergraduate, reading for a degree in what is effectively History and Classics. One option I've been looking at post-graduation is having a crack at applying to be an officer, with the intention of having a go at IntCorps selection assuming I get that far. I'll be the first to admit that my degree is hardly technical, and I'm definitely more academic than practical as a rule, having the general physique of a stick insect (though this is something I'm very much working on!). Obviously, the enemy won't be overly fearful of my in-depth knowledge of the political situation at Rome in 63 BC,

The enemy will be all around you.
"Et tu, Brute?"

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi all,

I'm a current final year undergraduate, reading for a degree in what is effectively History and Classics. One option I've been looking at post-graduation is having a crack at applying to be an officer, with the intention of having a go at IntCorps selection assuming I get that far. I'll be the first to admit that my degree is hardly technical, and I'm definitely more academic than practical as a rule, having the general physique of a stick insect (though this is something I'm very much working on!). Obviously, the enemy won't be overly fearful of my in-depth knowledge of the political situation at Rome in 63 BC, but I do flatter myself to think that I've developed some skills of source analysis and evaluation, the processing and summarising of information etc, and I like to think that I'm fairly clued up on current affairs. Would these be the sorts of attributes -more general desirable officer characteristics notwithstanding- that would put me in good stead so far as my application is concerned, or would they be more after language (again, not sure Latin counts) or science types?

Thanks

Tell the Army that it's tried everything else so it may as well give your approach a go.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
L Sergius Catalina was framed by a lacklustre consul desperate to big up his time in office.

Your talents would be better deployed in the spook world Cicero63
Or have a look at the BBC.

Cicero63

Swinger
L Sergius Catalina was framed by a lacklustre consul desperate to big up his time in office.

Your talents would be better deployed in the spook world Cicero63
Or have a look at the BBC.
Cheeky sod, L. Sergius Catilina was a rotter who deserved everything he got. Any attacks on the character of M. Tullius Cicero will be met with overwhelming force, in the form of a particularly stodgy essay I had to write this term.

Bardeyai

Old-Salt
Cheeky sod, L. Sergius Catilina was a rotter who deserved everything he got. Any attacks on the character of M. Tullius Cicero will be met with overwhelming force, in the form of a particularly stodgy essay I had to write this term.
That settles it- your talents will wow them at the Beeb.
Edited to add: Andrew Marr’s job is coming up. Go for it!

Latest Threads