Any personal DAB radio & MP3 players suggestions ?

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Troy, Sep 6, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I tried searching ARRSE for this one with no luck...

Does anyone have any experience of using a personal Dab radio and MP3 player combination gadget?

I'm considering getting one and would welcome some advice on what makes/models are regarded as a good choice.

Are they even worth it? and what features should I look out for?
  2. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

I've had 2 of the little logik dax ones (first one got squashed) which have a gb of space and take 1 AA battery. which does the job but like all digital radios the fewer batteries it takes the more interference you can pick up so its a trial and error job. harder to find now but they turn up on ebay.

the two battery ones are better at holding a signal and usually take an sd card but might be limited to 2gb, haven't tried one with mp3 but the radio on 2 player is a tad better at keeping signal.

they seem to be made only by one of two factories then rebadged and modelled to brand so there is little difference

all dabs eat batteries but the mp3 player function will work long after the dab doesn't. life wise the 1 cell version stays on longer even with rechargables.

with data plans what they are now a smart phone with a radio app might be an erstwhile option.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Cheers for your helpful reply Grumble.
  4. I tried one and it was a disaster as reception was so bad.
    Ended up with a Pure One Elite, not that portable but very good!
  5. Grumblegrunt

lots of complaints about london with the tall buildings blocking the signals, they were supposed to have ramped it up after the shut down of terrestrial telly but if anything my signals have got worse since the switch over.

the older three battery models by ferguson/bush etc.. are still good and with decent rechargeable batteries can go for 6 hours or so but 2-3 hours is the norm. I've had one from very early on which is battered but still going and along with a separate mp3 player kept me going.

if you listen to a lot of talky radio to keep you sane then a dab is essential imo and its nice to find localised stations like bfbs every now and again.
  6. They're all the ******* same. They all play in 320kbps. You're just paying for the memory.
  7. What about an iPod touch and some decent Bluetooth speakers/a dock? Won't have DAB, but you'll able to listen to all DAB stations online anyway (loads of free Internet radio apps), plus online stations that are not on DAB (like the awesome Soma FM), plus listen to MP3s.
  8. Grumblegrunt

considering the human ear cant tell the difference I've recoded everything to 48kps wma for years. I used to send loads of AA battery 1gb iriver and samsung mp3 players out to sandy places and very handy they are too.

I got my missus listening to which is internet radion so she does it through her iphone thing.
  9. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

You're compressing to 48kbps and you can't tell the difference from a high quality recording, eg. 256 or above mp3? You are either deaf or listening on a very basic system. The difference at that level of compression is really dramatic.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  10. Grumblegrunt

not on a set of earbuds out in the average day with plenty of background noise, riding a motorbike or working in a factory. when the aim is to cram plenty onto a limited memory then you take what you can.

mind you growing up with early walkmans with a handfull of tapes and crackly vinyl means you aren't so picky. 48kps is comparable to listening to the radio or an internet stream.

I had mp3s on laptops before the players came along, then I used iomega clik players before starting on mp3 players. I've been happy with 32kps when it meant I could fit more tunes on and wma makes them smaller.
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Absolutely disagree along with any discussion of compression algorithms that I can find online. Also show me an internet music stream that would compromise to that extent. Not easy to find I would imagine.

48kbps works for voice but is not suitable for music unless you're using it for ringtones or a mobile phone speaker. Through ear buds it should be noticeably distorted and absolutely lifeless.

Well off topic though so I'll shut up now!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  12. I fully charged it this morning and left it running non-stop for over 9 hours with the screen off. I used the in-built speaker (which'll probably use more power than if I'd used headphones) and turned the volume up to 2/3 of the maximum. Tuned it in to Magic at 128kbps.

After over 9 hours, the battery gauge is showing just under 50%, so I guess you could easily squeeze around 16-18 hours' listening from a single full charge.
  13. Grumblegrunt

not so off topic as if the OP gets a dab/mp3 then it will have a memory limit of some form or another and in those circumstances quantity rules - when internet radio and streaming first kicked off it was dial up and low bandwidth, standard streams are 64 for good and 40kbs for low quality. they seem to stream in he-aac now which is the nero codec rather than the choices of mp3, wma and aac (winamp) depending on how you were accessing the stream. he-aac took over from 64kbs wma only recently. back must be 14 years at least when I started listening to coded music I would recode half a dozen times in different formats to find the minimum acceptable and could get an album down to 18-32mb ish. windows 98 plus pack had a decent reencoder in it or I used a freeware program called cdex to rip my cds and edit the tracks.

personally I found wma sounds as good as mp3s twice the bit rate and four times the size. mind you I did use a proper rifle with yellow ear plugs.

Trance on Digitally Imported - Digitally Imported - addictive electronic music
  14. ignore all the pretentious pseudo-techie shite above this.

Pure Pocket DAB 2000 does a decent enough job in my experience. Costs about £75 plays MP3s and allows you to record, pause and rewind the DAB radio too.