any one interested in old photographs ?

Daughters of Kaiser Wilhelm II.

The bird in the Pickelhaube is Duchess Cecilie of Mecklenburg-Schwerin, wife of Crown Prince Wilhelm and sister in law of Victoria Louise. Presumably she was also Honorary Colonel of some Prussian outfit.

Edited to add that as a matter of interest Cecilie's eldest son was fatally wounded during the invasion of France in 1940.

Last edited:

LAC E Turner paints the 65th 'raid completed' symbol onto the nose of "Dante's Daughter", a Lancaster B Mark III, of No. 166 Squadron RAF at Kirmington, Lincolnshire, folowing the aircraft's return from a raid on Berlin on the night of 15/16 February 1944. The artwork also shows a DFC awarded to the pilot and three ice creams among the bomb symbols, indicating raids on Italian targets. "Dante's Daughter" was lost on a raid on Berlin on the night of 24/25 March 1944.

Kittyhawk Mark I fighter with the RAF 112 Squadron taxiing through the scrub of the Libyan desert, 2 April 1942. The crewman on the wing is helping guide the pilot whose view is obscured by the aircraft’s raised nose.

warhistoryonline via Tumblr

My daughter has gone apeshit on this ancestry thing.

My great grandfathers brother Alexander Henry Robert Tedsson (last bit ain’t kosher), 1878-1949.
829D11E4-203E-4637-8D75-B2B4EA91A6AC.jpeg

I assume the uniform is WW I but would be happy to stand corrected. He would have been 36 in 1914. My grandfather joined up in 1918 but luckily never actually saw action, apart from getting pissed in Germany and beating up pikeys in Norfolk.

He seems to be channelling General Melchett with that tache.

Last edited:

ugly

LE

My great grandfather, Alexander Henry Robert Tedsson (last bit ain’t kosher), 1878-1949.
View attachment 342426

I assume the uniform is WW I but would be happy to stand corrected. He would have been 36 in 1914. My grandfather joined up in 1918 but luckily never actually saw action, apart from getting pissed in Germany and beating up pikeys in Norfolk.

Sounds like a grand way to spend a war at that age!

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Members of the 24th Regiment Rorkes Drift Victoria Cross holders taken at the Regimental Depot Brecon about 1900. For those that know the barracks, they are standing or sitting with their backs to what was the NAFFI in recent times; now the Royal Welsh Museum. I am not entirely sure of who they all are, but I think Hook VC is standing centre at the back, The one at the right rear is wearing only a DCM, could that be C/Sgt Bourne.
RW-046.jpg
museum.

Last edited:

Colourised photo of WW1 munitions workers.

thewartoendwars via tumblr

The sign on the railway carriage in the background indicates that the photo was taken in National Shell Filling Factory No.6 at Chilwell. Nottinghamshire.

Members of the 24th Regiment Rorkes Drift Victoria Cross holders taken at the Regimental Depot Brecon about 1900. For those that know the barracks, they are standing or sitting with their backs to what was the NAFFI in recent times; now the Royal Welsh Museum. I am not entirely sure of who they all are, but I think Hook VC is standing centre at the back, The one at the right rear is wearing only a DCM, could that be C/Sgt Bourne. View attachment 343718 museum.
A Google image search turned up this photo on the site below. The men in the photo are;

Back Row (L-R) Pte Robert Jones VC, Pte Alfred Hook VC, Pte William Jones VC.
Front Row (L-R) Pte David Bell VC, Col E S Brown VC, Pte Fred Hitch VC, Pte John Fielding VC.

William Jones isn't wearing his VC because he had pawned it.

The photo was taken on the occasion of the unveiling of the Anglo-Zulu War Memorial Plaque in Brecon in 1898.

An interesting point is that they are not all Rorke's Drift VCs. Bell won his VC in 1867 and Browne's was awarded for his actions at the Battle of Kambula River in March 1879.

Edited to add that another interesting point is that the wall is built in Flemish Bond. :D

Mole's Genealogy Blog: Souvenir Saturday: Anglo-Zulu War - rare photo of 7 VCs at Brecon

Last edited:
The girl front and centre is probably the most accurately coloured.

None of them are wearing gloves so they must have had blinding headaches handling the materials.

My great grandfathers brother Alexander Henry Robert Tedsson (last bit ain’t kosher), 1878-1949.
View attachment 342426

I assume the uniform is WW I but would be happy to stand corrected. He would have been 36 in 1914.
I have a photo somewhere of my wife's grandfather who was in 9th KRRC 1915-1918 with that style of ammunition pouch so I don't see why not.

Legion Etrangere 1953 .Sahara desert.

Judging by the footprints alles uber den platz the bloke out in front is an officer with a map... ;-)

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
A Google image search turned up this photo on the site below. The men in the photo are;

Front Row (L-R) Pte David Bell VC, Col E S Brown VC, Pte Fred Hitch VC, Pte John Fielding VC.

The photo was taken on the occasion of the unveiling of the Anglo-Zulu War Memorial Plaque in Brecon in 1898.

An interesting point is that they are not all Rorke's Drift VCs. Bell won his VC in 1867 and Browne's was awarded for his actions at the Battle of Kambula River in March 1879.

Mole's Genealogy Blog: Souvenir Saturday: Anglo-Zulu War - rare photo of 7 VCs at Brecon
Thank you Gary, very good info!

View attachment 342426

But would have been 22 in 1900 to go to the Boer War? That said, he does look closer to 36 than 22 in the photogragh, though a B&W photo and the slug-balancing act make it more difficult to tell.

Edited to add that another interesting point is that the wall is built in Flemish Bond. :D

Of the 11 VC's won at Rorke's Drift, only six survived until 1898, and of those, Private Robert Jones VC, 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment of Foot, would also die in 1898, after committing suicide by shooting himself. The remainder in order of seniority were

Surgeon Captain (later Lieutenant Colonel) James Henry Reynolds, VC, Army Medical Department, died 1932 aged 88
Private Frederick Hitch, VC , B Coy, 24th Foot, illiterate when he joined the Army, Hitch died of Pneumonia in 1913. aged 56
Private Alfred Henry (Harry) Hook, VC, B Coy, 24th Foot, Hospital Cook, died 1905. aged 55.
Private William Jones, VC, B Coy, 24th Foot, died 1910. aged 69
Private John Williams, VC, B Coy, 24h Foot (real name was Fielding, but enlisted as Williams, died 1932 aged 75 shortly after Surgeon Lt Col James Henry Reynolds.

The other VC winners were:

Lieutenant (later Colonel) John Rouse Merriott Chard, VC, 5th Company Royal Engineers, Officer Commanding Rorkes Drift Detachment, died November 1897 (aged 49)
Lieutenant (later Major) Gonville Bromhead, VC, Temporary Company Commander, B Company, 2nd Battalion, 24th Regiment of Foot. died February 1891 in India.
Assistant Commissary James Langley Dalton, VC, late 85th Foot, Commissariat and Transport Department (later Army Service Corps). died 1887 aged 53.
Corporal William Wilson Allen, VC, B Coy, 24th Foot. died 1890 aged 49.
Corporal Christian Ferdinand Schiess, VC, Natal Native Contingent, died 1879 after the battle, aged 28 in passage to England.

Although the 24th Regiment of Foot would later become the South Wales Borderers, only a percentage of men in the Battalion were actually Welsh, the remainder being recruited in England.