any one interested in old photographs ?

Hundred round drums, though rare, were made for the Bren. Forgotten Weapons informs.

HE117

LE
Are you sure it wasnt a Vickers-Berthier, used by the Indian Army and hadthe normal Bren magazine but could also use a 100-round drum. The Vickers GO,as used by the RAF in flexible mounts, was basically the same gun.
Nope Vickers Berthier had a shorter flash hider and a tangent sight.. That has the drum sight of a MK 1 BREN..

Are you sure it wasnt a Vickers-Berthier, used by the Indian Army and hadthe normal Bren magazine but could also use a 100-round drum. The Vickers GO,as used by the RAF in flexible mounts, was basically the same gun.
I'm quoting whoever originally posted the photo. I wouldn't know enough about the subject to offer an opinion.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
For those of you interested in early aviation, this chap has a wonderful archive on Flickr, the amazing variety of mad designs for aircraft is astounding, it must have taken the world by storm
if you have an hour or so peer in here

Clearly a Bren Mk I or II by the stainless steel combination flash hider and gas block

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The National Library of Scotland has an online archive of nearly 2,000 high quality photographs from the Great War
a wide range of subjects end every one worth looking at

If you were trying to trace a relative from one of the fine old Scottish regiments here would be a useful place to look

A nice image just popped up along with a mixture of Naval and holiday pics
any one ID him or the medals
An RN officer below the rank of Commander (no braid on the peak of his cap): the medals are (L to R) - 1915 Star, British War Medal, Victory Medal (all WWI), 1939-45 Star, what is probably the Atlantic Star with France and Germany clasp, War Medal (all WWII), finally RN LS and GC (thus commissioned from the ranks).

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I Found this image on Flickr, the chap has an amazing collection of Civil War images, amongst them I noticed this, a Canvas boat, with what looks like a collapsible wooden framework
I have often wondered how far back the military used such craft for fording rivers

and here timber framed and timber skinned pontoon boats in use at the same time

HE117

LE
I Found this image on Flickr, the chap has an amazing collection of Civil War images, amongst them I noticed this, a Canvas boat, with what looks like a collapsible wooden framework
I have often wondered how far back the military used such craft for fording rivers

I would think the Romans would have had them at the very least...

ericferret

War Hero

I wonder if they are pontoons for bridging as they are not particularly streamlined and without engines they would be a handfull.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

Well done Joshua, some good stuff!, a late night for some of us again tonight!

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Well done Joshua, some good stuff!, a late night for some of us again tonight!
Some of the details in those civil war images are stunning, considering the equipment they used and the conditions, this must have been shortly after tintype
you enlarge the images and so many small details are apparent

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I wonder if they are pontoons for bridging as they are not particularly streamlined and without engines they would be a handfull.
I presume man power, as engines at that time would have been steam and far too heavy, perhaps a strong swimmer took a line across

HE117

LE
Some of the details in those civil war images are stunning, considering the equipment they used and the conditions, this must have been shortly after tintype
you enlarge the images and so many small details are apparent
Large lenses, big negatives and looong exposure times make for fine grain negatives...

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would think the Romans would have had them at the very least...
Alexander the great was using them before the Romans

HE117

LE
Alexander the great was using them before the Romans
For sure..

Was it the Hittites that crossed the Bospherous on inflated skins and sexy hairdos?