any one interested in old photographs ?

That one inspired me to dig out Grandad (3rd from R in front row, late of RHA*, was at Cambrai) in the Cambridge Equestrian team of 1920.
My gran reckoned the Duke of Gloucester is beside him, second son of George V
*Kings Troop, I think

View attachment 407813
I'd say DoG is fourth from the left as we are looking at it front row.

London double decker converted to a mobile pigeon loft. Pernes, 26 June 1918.

Charles being ?
(sorry if I should know)
Well who knows. My great Grandmother' s sister's Husband (AKA a Great Uncle) They are Beaneys and I am in contact with her great niece who is in Australia. she's linked to the Bradleys ( the general from the last lot) and is married to another German.
ETA the only Charles George Stewart I can find is an officer- no guarantees there, from the great war and he was retired then.

London double decker converted to a mobile pigeon loft. Pernes, 26 June 1918.
... on a similar theme ... team from the WW1 German Pigeon Corps ...

WW1 German Pigeon Corps.jpg

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
I remember seeing a Machine Gun company sitting on their Royal Enfield Motorcycles?, They were in 'Review Order' it was taken in mid 1918 and was very impressive. The gunners in the sidecars had there Vickers guns at an angle of 45 degrees. Does any kind soul have a copy to put up here?

Last edited:
Looks half arsed compared to our effort
@Gary Cooper 's photograph is a pigeon loft or homing station " RX " and I think mine is a more forward sending station "TX" from which pigeons would be launched ....hopefully to fly to the correct side ... having said that it does look fairly simplistic and crude however at the time probably looked upon as fairly leading edge P Mail .

Last edited:

HE117

LE
I remember seeing a Machine Gun company sitting on their Royal Enfield Motorcycles?, They were in 'Review Order' it was taken in mid 1918 and was very impressive. The gunners in the sidecars had there Vicars guns at an angle of 45 degrees. Does any kind soul have a copy to put up here?
Have you tried the RAChD? I think they hold the record of Vicars..?

@Gary Cooper 's photograph is a pigeon loft or homing station " RX " and I think mine is a more forward sending station "TX" from which pigeons would be launched ....hopefully to fly to the correct side ... having said that it does look fairly simplistic and crude however at the time probably looked upon as fairly leading edge P Mail .
Probably. The box that the bloke is holding was for carrying the Pigeons into the trenches. They would then hopefully fly back to the mobile loft. Note the length of the grass under the bus indicating it doesn't get moved too often. If it did the pigeons wouldn't find it of course.

Last edited: