any one interested in old photographs ?

A British officer trying out a German sniper’s mask in September 1917. The mask was made of ½" steel. One suspects that an actual bullet strike on the mask might bring about some ringing in the ears.

French Sauterelle grenade launcher.

It was basically a crossbow that fired an obsolete hand grenade to distances out to 125m and was a stopgap trench weapon to make up for the lack of trench mortars in the French army. The Sauterelle was designed in 1915 by André Broca, a physician and artillery officer.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer

French Sauterelle grenade launcher.

It was basically a crossbow that fired an obsolete hand grenade to distances out to 125m and was a stopgap trench weapon to make up for the lack of trench mortars in the French army. The Sauterelle was designed in 1915 by André Broca, a physician and artillery officer.
You can imagine the fire orders for that weapon. "Add five metres Pierre, then go right five metres" Pierre fires grenade. "Bang on Pierre, we've got his latrine"

This photo has always struck me as odd. It's used in any number of TV programs but why did Barham explode like that? Bear with me. We know Hood did because either 1 or 2 15" projectiles hit the aft Magazines, directly and the Cordite charges went off, but any number of wreck sites have found unexploded propellant after the ship's sunk.
Was Barham struck in a Magazine by the torpedo. But Barham capsized; so were shells fused in the magazines before going to the Hoists?

Was Barham struck in a Magazine by the torpedo. But Barham capsized; so were shells fused in the magazines before going to the Hoists?
Wasn't the magazine explosion ascribed to a fire in the Secondary / AA armament magazine which then spread to the main armament magazine causing the explosion? I may be wrong though. I do find stuff like that fascinating.

This photo has always struck me as odd. It's used in any number of TV programs but why did Barham explode like that? Bear with me. We know Hood did because either 1 or 2 15" projectiles hit the aft Magazines, directly and the Cordite charges went off, but any number of wreck sites have found unexploded propellant after the ship's sunk.

The Admiralty Board of Enquiry concluded that the torpedo strike caused a fire in the 4" magazines, which subsequently detonated, resulting, via chain detonation, the explosion in the adjoining 15" magazine.

A contributory factor (eg destruction of bulkheads) may well have been boiler explosions resulting from seawater pouring into her funnels when she rolled.

Barham had continued on for about a mile following the torpedo strikes, so the filmed detonation was the result of progressive damage, and was not instantaneous.

Wasn't the magazine explosion ascribed to a fire in the Secondary / AA armament magazine which then spread to the main armament magazine causing the explosion? I may be wrong though. I do find stuff like that fascinating.
Thought that was the UP munitions on the upper deck of the Hood. As far as I know Barham was not “in action” at the time of the Torpedoing
The Admiralty Board of Enquiry concluded that the torpedo strike caused a fire in the 4" magazines, which subsequently detonated, resulting, via chain detonation, the explosion in the adjoining 15" magazine.

A contributory factor (eg destruction of bulkheads) may well have been boiler explosions resulting from seawater pouring into her funnels when she rolled.

Barham had continued on for about a mile following the torpedo strikes, so the filmed detonation was the result of progressive damage, and was not instantaneous.
thanks for that, although having seen the specific footage many times, one does not get that impression

I presume that the open hand used in the position of attention, is after their time in The Foreign Legion, or is this customary in the Irish Army?
Royal Navy PTIs and matelots under PE used the straight hand as well. And PTIs never seemed to step off, they half bounced onto the balls of their feet then marched off. :cool:

re-watched it again Last evening, there is a slight wisp of white smoke from the aft superstructure initally ( Possibly from a torpedo hit) and that seems to disappear, copious amounts of smoke from the funnel.

there are some interesting here, some are stereoscope
many date form the Great war and some pre was and some post war
originally the property of a well of French family
also later on a few WW2 images mainly dads army
Australia and Beyond on Glass
Interesting but would be even more interesting viewed through a stereoscope. I just remembered the ViewMaster stereoscopes from the 1970's. Unfortunately the viewing material was somewhat limited.