any non grads joining?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Knowlesy, Oct 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I originally started my app as a musician, but after some serious thinking Ive decided to give the officer route a go as I have all the qualifications needed.

I'm going to go to the afco on Thursday and see if it's possible, but I'm just a little excited about the prospect :)

I'm hopefully going in as a pilot, I know I'm going to be working hard from here on in, but it's going to worth it

so basically I just wanted to say hi, and see who else is starting their apps and how everyone is getting on really, especially the younger ones who didn't go to uni, as this applies to me lol

2. Although the majority of officers nowadays are graduates, that should not put you off applying as a non-grad.

Just be aware that joining the main stream army as an officer is a very different prospect to becoming an army musician. Also you should appreciate that the Army Air Corps (into which you would commission in order to become a pilot) is one of the more competitive corps to get into.

None of this should put you off though. Go along to the recruiting office and ask. Just remember that to be selected for officer training you need more than just the requisite academic qualifications.

3. Hello,

fellow non grad! Got the main board in January. Go for it, keep me posted.

Stripe

4. It' good to know there are others on here :)

what are your chosen regiments/corps? and good luck I'm sure you'll be great, let us know how you get on :)

and thanks brav_coward, I can appreciate everything that your saying, and I know that the air corps will be a long shot, but I'm willing to fight for it and to give it my best, I'm going to go for it, and if I get in great, if i don't then i know that i'l have done my best and that the officer job isnt for me, but i dont want to think what if some time down the line jut because i didnt the gut to go for it :)

5. Would you bin your application if you don't pass the AAC stringent tests? You do know (I hope) that the AAC do not require you to be an officer to fly (the RAF do and I think the Navy do as well).

-OCS-

6. Non grad here off to Sandhurst in Jan. Plenty of us mongs about I'm afraid!

7. No, I think passing mainboard would be an achievement in itself, and I wouldn't want to pass the opportunity of going to Sandhurst up, the air corps would be my first choice, but if I don't manage that, then I'd like to try the RMP, I've still need to look at the other job choices and find which one would be best for my third choice.

I'd love to be an officer, just the extra responsibility and chance to make a positive impact and a sense of pride whilst doing my job. Id give anything a go really,

8. Good man, go for it!