Any Micks About?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Provost, Apr 11, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to get some info on 3rd Btn Irish Guards during WW2. I contacted the Guards Museum with my request. I received a very prompt, polite but not terribly helpful reply from the curator informing me that the museum does not hold any archives.

I find this a little strange as it calls itself a 'museum' and even has its own 'curator'. However, I suspect that like some military museums, it is more of a merchandise shop where a visitors are encouraged to part with wads of their cash in exchange for regimental pencil sharpeners, baseball caps, cuddly toys, diaries and fudge.

Anyway, gripe over.

Is anyone able to furnish me with an email contact for RHQ?

Thanks

2. Snail mail address only, I'm afraid:

RHQ Irish Guards
    Wellington Barracks
    LONDON
    SW1E-6HQ

3. Perhaps a little Google (other search engines are available) would have saved you a bit of time (it took me 1 minute to find below)

The Guards Museum - Family Research

Increasing numbers of people are undertaking major research to find out more about their relations who have served in The Guards regiments. Many of these people ring the museum to ask us to search the archives for details about these former soldiers. Unfortunately, we do not hold any service records on individuals as these are still maintained by the Regimental Headquarters (RHQ) of each regiment. Regimental photographs are also held by the RHQs.

Please do not write to us or call as we cannot assist you.

Those seeking information should write to the relevant RHQ directly. All five RHQs are based in Wellington Barracks the address of which is as follows:

Wellington Barracks
    Birdcage Walk
    London SW1E 6HQ

Alternatively you can ring them on:
    [TABLE="width: 274"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Grenadier Guards
    [/TD]
    [TD]020 7414 3284
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Coldstream Guards
    [/TD]
    [TD]020 7414 3246
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Scots Guards
    [/TD]
    [TD]020 7414 3324
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Irish Guards
    [/TD]
    [TD]020 7414 3297
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [TR]
    [TD]Welsh Guards
    [/TD]
    [TD]020 7414 3291
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Please understand that Regimental Archivists work on a voluntary basis and are therefore a limited resource. A written application might prove a more effective approach.

4. Thanks for the responses. Johnnyboyzzz, you will notice that I specifically asked if there was anyone who had an email contact. There is a reason for this (and my particular enquiry does not relate to service records).

I'll give the RHQ a bell, anyway.

Thanks again.

5. Good luck with your query. I have a friend who is an historian, specifically, WW2. He's fairly knowledgeable on the various roles of the Guards Divs during that period.
    Should you not have much joy with your line of enquiry, pm me your query and I'll see what he can come up with.