Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any members who served during the Malayan Emergency who think the period of PJM should be backdated?

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Seeing the news about Hong Kong today, makes me think how things might have been for Malaya and Singapore, without the help of commonwealth troops during the Malayan Emergency before Independence 1957. When I visited Singapore 2009, the Museum had a large walk through feature about Merdeka, including the earlier Japanese occupation. When back in UK, I did write in response, as I wasn't happy to have seen how "We shall never surrender...", was featured as if our government had let them down as a colony.
Records indicate 519 commonwealth troops killed during the 'Emergency'. Once again, the PJM medal could easily be backdated, as unlike our UK medals, there is no effigy on the commemorative PJM defining a period. Just too mean to issue it?

Last edited:
I was 35 days or so short of the qualifying period at the other end, so missed out on receiving a PJM.
Maybe extend the qualifying period by say 36 days, then I could apply.

Snot fair, snot fair, snot fair.
Boo hoo hoo.
They already did that once, =)
The criterion passed to the Malaysian government was for the end eligibility to coincide with the end date of clasp 'Borneo'; and for RAF & RN clasp 'Malay Peninsula' (the army qualifying period for that clasp had ended a year earlier)
However, there was some unhappiness at this so the PJM qualifying period was later extended by four and a half months to 31 Dec 66, to include those who didn't have enough time in.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
To save a lot of snot and tears the criteria should be changed to include everyone.
It'd cover the NDM and CWW wailing too.

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
To save a lot of snot and tears the criteria should be changed to include everyone.
It'd cover the NDM and CWW wailing too.
The so called wailing (and snot fair etc) for the National Defence Medal NDM, and is it 'Cold War Medal' CWW? are different IMO to the Pingat Jasa Malaysia PJM medal. I can find no proposed definite period of eligibility or a date for the start or finish for the NDM or CWM. The Malayan Emergency on the other hand, has a definite period of activity and entailed defined requirements of 'risk and rigour'. Yes, the GSM clasp malaya came to me through the post (when back home in UK 1956), but now since 2011, recent UK TV news coverage and daily papers have showed Malaya (Malaysia) veterans who qualify, being lined up and awarded the PJM.
It's just that in time (once more again IMO), history might well record the PJM as covering the period of the Malayan Emergency! yes.....'snot fair!

Last edited:
The so called wailing (and snot fair etc) for the National Defence Medal NDM, and is it 'Cold War Medal' CWW? are different IMO to the Pingat Jasa Malaysia PJM medal. I can find no proposed definite period of eligibility or a date for the start or finish for the NDM or CWM. The Malayan Emergency on the other hand, has a definite period of activity and entailed defined requirements of 'risk and rigour'. Yes, the GSM clasp malaya came to me through the post (when back home in UK 1956), but now since 2011, recent UK TV news coverage and daily papers have showed Malaya (Malaysia) veterans who qualify, being lined up and awarded the PJM.
It's just that in time (once more again IMO), history might well record the PJM as covering the period of the Malayan Emergency! yes.....'snot fair!

I rather think, in the general way of the Worlds' vagaries, the fact the Malaysian Government did not include those who served in the Colony of Malaya during the 'Emergency' (that is pre-Independence) as eligible for the PJM will not even merit a hint of a footnote in history.

Mind you I'm still furious 1KOSB only received the Radfan clasp to their GSM 1962 for their operational tour in S.Arabia in 1964... the bloody Royal Scots (among others) got Radfan AND S.Arabia!!
Once again... 1KOSB, having completed an operational tour in Malaysia 1965-66 (yeah.. we got around) only received the clasp Borneo... yet the damn Argylls were also awarded the clasp Malay Penninsula... presumably for defending the Brit' Club in Singapore (at least they were successful that time)!;).

Like you I can barely sleep at night for the injustice of it all... denied the glory because we weren't there at the right time, missing it by... a few weeks... months... the odd year., I share your anger and frustration!:rolleyes:
Then again I DO have the PJM to console me.....:p

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Ah... It still makes me laugh at remembering how another National Service guy back in Uk after many months in Malaya and prior to demob.... Loudly moaned how he had suffered leaches, dhobi itch, endured 'pot permang' on his private parts and bouts in BMH with 'dhengi', yet for all those months " I haven't yet received my b.....y medal."

You're such a tease.... Why not a drone pilots gong?
No way, Jose. That trial balloon was floated over here and the din from the PBI on the ground was a deafening NO! Drone pilots often aren't even in the same location as where the drone is flying, and they certainly don't suffer the same kind of stress that ground troops do right in the thick of things.

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
No way, Jose. That trial balloon was floated over here and the din from the PBI on the ground was a deafening NO! Drone pilots often aren't even in the same location as where the drone is flying, and they certainly don't suffer the same kind of stress that ground troops do right in the thick of things.
Talking about the PBI, my generation in the 40/50s was IMO treated as PBY (youths) called up for National Service to fulfil overseas national commitments expected by America. Korea, Malaya, then, Suez, Cyprus, Aden...... Incidentally, the 'pot permang' went on for sweat rash, purple around the goolies!!

Last edited:
Mind you I'm still furious 1KOSB only received the Radfan clasp to their GSM 1962 for their operational tour in S.Arabia in 1964... the bloody Royal Scots (among others) got Radfan AND S.Arabia!!
My guess is that 1KOSB were even more unfortunate than 1RS as they must have gotten precious little warning of their return to Aden, due to the secrecy of the Radfan planning.

Re 'The Clasp'

I'm happy to be corrected on this but my recollection is that 3rd Green Jackets (Rifle Brigade) were one of a small number of UK- or HK- based battalions who did qualify for the clasp 'Malay Peninsula' simply by virtue of attending pre-Borneo jungle training at Johore Bahru during the qualifying period of the clasp.
Still, good luck to them, they qualified under the rules.
The clasp was mainly a response to Indonesian army sea- and air-borne incursions into mainland Malaysia starting mid-64. These were small scale and were quickly mopped-up by Peninsula-based troops including the Malaysian Army.
There was a lot of patrolling by the RN and RAF looking for raiders mainly from Sumatra. I recall travelling up the mainland to Prai by that notorious slow moving train and each tunnel had a small guard from the Royal Malay Regiment encamped at the mouths, guarding against sabotage from infiltrators and possibly home grown CTs
After a year, the threat was lifted and the qualifying period for the army ended although the the RN and RAF continued to qualify for another year, the end date coinciding with the end date for the Borneo clasp.

Links
Indo incursions into W.Malaysia

The MacDonald House Bombing

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
My guess is that 1KOSB were even more unfortunate than 1RS as they must have gotten precious little warning of their return to Aden, due to the secrecy of the Radfan planning.

Re 'The Clasp'

I'm happy to be corrected on this but my recollection is that 3rd Green Jackets (Rifle Brigade) were one of a small number of UK- or HK- based battalions who did qualify for the clasp 'Malay Peninsula' simply by virtue of attending pre-Borneo jungle training at Johore Bahru during the qualifying period of the clasp.
Still, good luck to them, they qualified under the rules.
The clasp was mainly a response to Indonesian army sea- and air-borne incursions into mainland Malaysia starting mid-64. These were small scale and were quickly mopped-up by Peninsula-based troops including the Malaysian Army.
There was a lot of patrolling by the RN and RAF looking for raiders mainly from Sumatra. I recall travelling up the mainland to Prai by that notorious slow moving train and each tunnel had a small guard from the Royal Malay Regiment encamped at the mouths, guarding against sabotage from infiltrators and possibly home grown CTs
After a year, the threat was lifted and the qualifying period for the army ended although the the RN and RAF continued to qualify for another year, the end date coinciding with the end date for the Borneo clasp.

Links
Indo incursions into W.Malaysia

The MacDonald House Bombing
Those guys that went across the Straits for training must have come within the criteria for a GSM (wide green middle stripe) and clasp 'Malay Peninsula', and why not! Perhaps the difference as I see it, 'raiders' then, but before 1957 independence, it was CT's and the GSM clasp 'Malaya' (equal widths of medal ribbon). I'm never going to be allowed to apply for a commemorative PJM (pre independence) but it just seems to me it would be a thank you!

Those guys that went across the Straits for training must have come within the criteria for a GSM (wide green middle stripe) and clasp 'Malay Peninsula', and why not! Perhaps the difference as I see it, 'raiders' then, but before 1957 independence, it was CT's and the GSM clasp 'Malaya' (equal widths of medal ribbon). I'm never going to be allowed to apply for a commemorative PJM (pre independence) but it just seems to me it would be a thank you!
Not necessary to cross the Straits as Singapore was included in the criteria for Malay Peninsula - I wonder though if soldiers sent from Borneo to serve time in the Far East Detention Centre at RAF Changi qualified for the clasp. I expect not but I've never seen anything expressly excluding SUS from receiving campaign medals; I expect it may depend on interpretation of the published criteria which usually states something like 'for operational service......between....and....

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Not necessary to cross the Straits as Singapore was included in the criteria for Malay Peninsula - I wonder though if soldiers sent from Borneo to serve time in the Far East Detention Centre at RAF Changi qualified for the clasp. I expect not but I've never seen anything expressly excluding SUS from receiving campaign medals; I expect it may depend on interpretation of the published criteria which usually states something like 'for operational service......between....and....
Sent to this place in the pic? Not a pleasant thought
DSC02122.JPG

DSC02122.JPG

Actually, my memory might be at fault because I recall now that the Corrective Training Centre was at Tanglin and staffed by Military Provost Staff Corps, and not RAF Changi

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Actually, my memory might be at fault because I recall now that the Corrective Training Centre was at Tanglin and staffed by Military Provost Staff Corps, and not RAF Changi
Guessed as much! The army one was (HMP?) Kinrara (I'm thinking somewhere near KL)

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
For about a month, and just to see if there are any names I might remember, I've been looking at the many GSM clasp Malaya medals for sale on ebay,

To underline my point about backdating the PJM commemorative medal, the 1918 GSM clasp Malaya medals listed for sale include many of Regiments/Corps sent to Malaya 1948 -1962 and the details on the medals that I have found for sale include;-
Seaforth Highlanders, The Queens Royal Regt, East Yorks Regt, RAF, ACC, Royal Artillery, K,D,G, N.R.R, REME, QUARANC, Medical Corp, RASC, W.Yorks, E.Yorks, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Kings Own Scottish Borderers. There are obviously others (during my time there I met guys in the Int Corp).

Those who served after August 1957, might by now either have the PJM, or can apply for it. It's just those official words allowing the PJM to be worn here '.....in recognition of service given in the difficult years leading up to and following Malaysian Independence.....

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
For about a month, and just to see if there are any names I might remember, I've been looking at the many GSM clasp Malaya medals for sale on ebay,

To underline my point about backdating the PJM commemorative medal, the 1918 GSM clasp Malaya medals listed for sale include many of Regiments/Corps sent to Malaya 1948 -1962 and the details on the medals that I have found for sale include;-
Seaforth Highlanders, The Queens Royal Regt, East Yorks Regt, RAF, ACC, Royal Artillery, K,D,G, N.R.R, REME, QUARANC, Medical Corp, RASC, W.Yorks, E.Yorks, Royal Scots Fusiliers, Kings Own Scottish Borderers. There are obviously others (during my time there I met guys in the Int Corp).

Those who served after August 1957, might by now either have the PJM, or can apply for it. It just those official words allowing the PJM to be worn here '.....in recognition of service given in the difficult years leading up to and following Malaysian Independence.....
Please refresh my memory, have you sent a written request to the Malaysian government reference backdating the period of elegibility ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Without checking my file, I wrote to (I believe it was the Malaysian Defence Minister), many years ago.
Thanks.
Do you have a copy of his reply ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Latest Threads