Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any members who served during the Malayan Emergency who think the period of PJM should be backdated?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Aye back in the day when you could accuse people of being child touchers without fear of ROPs, resulting in meltdowns and the occasional disturbing confession, it was much funnier.
It's prohibition makes one wonder who didn't want to risk breaking down and confessing.

@KnockKnock

I'm trying to think of a precedent for what you're suggesting and cannot, because there isn't one - and for good reason. It's a bit like asking for an independence medal because you served in the Bongoland Protectorate three years before they got their own flag and theme tune.

Tbh, the PJM is not a particularly attractive medal. I'd be more than content with the GSM18.
I always thought that it was strange that Rhodesian soldiers serving in 1980 were awarded the 'Zimbabwe Independence Medal, when they had spent the last 15 years inflicting violence on those wanting Independence.

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
Good luck to anyone who has the PJM, wear it with pride.

But I am familiar with the story of all the bowing, scraping, badgering and cajoling to the Malaysian government and the slagging-off of the British government by a small number of British full-time ex-servicemen who never qualified for a GSM, for a medal that was neither created for Confrontation nor the Emergency, nor was it created for anyone other than the Malaysian Armed Services.
So it's not for me, I'm happy with the clasps that HMG have given me.

KnockKnock,
Don't get too wrapped up in something that will never, indeed could not happen.
I enjoyed your posts about leave in Singapore, you must have stories to share about Malaya, please share some of those with us instead
'...wrapped up......'! Look at it this way, this morning before starting my thread, I was a humble two medal 'clanker', now I have been granted an extra 'arrse' medal and have become an 'Old Salt'. Much better, I didn't like 'clanker' too much like ...ker. Now perhaps my posts might be viewed as having more relevance?

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
I always thought that it was strange that Rhodesian soldiers serving in 1980 were awarded the 'Zimbabwe Independence Medal, when they had spent the last 15 years inflicting violence on those wanting Independence.
It's all wheels within wheels, we had a strong rumour in 1956 that a Sultan of one of the Federated States was going to institute a commemorative medal, then perhaps they thought let's wait until Independence? Look online at how many medals they dish out, but not one for the mainly teenage National Service troops, that served before Independence on active service.

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
He was the Chief Minister in '56 and the Federation of Malaya was under colonial administration. Why would he have his effigy on a medal?
T.A.R had enough going for him to offer an Amnesty to the CT's in 1955, later (so I have in my notes) withdrawn 5 months later.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Rhodesia was independent, your Harold Wilson was only "following orders" of his superiors.
I know very few veterans of that Soviet war who actually wear the bauble.

Other than those real soldiers, you have a kakhiusvol of clowns who think they're part of the struggle because they've run the London marathon.

I was 35 days or so short of the qualifying period at the other end, so missed out on receiving a PJM.
Maybe extend the qualifying period by say 36 days, then I could apply.

Snot fair, snot fair, snot fair.
Boo hoo hoo.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
I was 35 days or so short of the qualifying period at the other end, so missed out on receiving a PJM.
Maybe extend the qualifying period by say 36 days, then I could apply.

Snot fair, snot fair, snot fair.
Boo hoo hoo.
I wasn't there but have eaten mie goreng, can I have one too ?

Its not me that started the quest for a medal more the NMBVA when I was a member (no longer);-
'A campaign was started to obtain award in the form of a medal for those who saw service during the Malayan Emergency, the Borneo/indonesian Confrontation and the Japanese Occupation of Malaya and Singapore.' ?

Better not let the NMBVA see this recent press release from the Malaysian Government then:

""The Defence Ministry, he said, also agreed to speed up the second phase of allowance payments for Pingat Jasa Malaysia (PJM) holders, which is a one-off payment of RM500.
The payment has been brought forward to the last week of March, which will be distributed to 40,000 recipients involving an allocation of RM20mil.
"The total allocation is RM35mil that will be paid to 70,000 qualified recipients.
"Some 30,000 recipients have already received the payment on March 12, worth RM15mil," he explained.""
(my bold)
Source: PJM Payouts
Now of course, the context for this is that it relates to Covid-19 and Malaysian citizens and that how most rational folk will read it.
However, an organisation (NMBVA) that had so much internal strife over a campaign for the award of a rosette on pre- independence awarded GSMs as compensation for missing out on the PJM may not grasp that; the 'me too and the 'gizzit' lure may be just too great.

dlrg

LE
@KnockKnock

I'm trying to think of a precedent for what you're suggesting and cannot, because there isn't one - and for good reason. It's a bit like asking for an independence medal because you served in the Bongoland Protectorate three years before they got their own flag and theme tune.

Tbh, the PJM is not a particularly attractive medal. I'd be more than content with the GSM18.

The Aussies have form for this sort of thing. In this case, retrospectively issuing/awarding medals from a country that no longer exists (South Vietman).
Here's an example: So long as you fulfill the qualifying critera, you can apply for one of these. 'The Republic of Vietman Campaign Medal'. Originally issued by South Vietnam - now issued by the Australian Government.

1596021844485.png

Last edited:
Yes, but those who retrospectively apply for that qualify for it under the established regs, It's just they didn't bother to apply for it at the time - like WW2 medals over here. The Australian government are merely the de facto issuing authority in lieu of the defunct SV equivalent. They haven't shifted the goalposts for eligibility. Don't start me off on Aussie retro issues.

dlrg

LE
Yes, but those who retrospectively apply for that qualify for it under the established regs, It's just they didn't bother to apply for it at the time - like WW2 medals over here. The Australian government are merely the de facto issuing authority in lieu of the defunct SV equivalent. They haven't shifted the goalposts for eligibility. Don't start me off on Aussie retro issues.
Oh, I quite agree Buck. This is just an example of an issue that still raises eybrows.

I won't mention anything about 'The Vietnam End of War List' nor the issuing of Gallantry awards that didn't exist at the time of the action.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
My Dad was has the GSM/Malay Peninsula and I successfully applied for a PJM for him - which was nice

KnockKnock

On ROPS
On ROPs
My Dad was has the GSM/Malay Peninsula and I successfully applied for a PJM for him - which was nice
Well done, and it seems to me to underline that old guys like me are perhaps not so inclined to be online. This IMO is why when there was the campaign to wear the PJM, this was mainly a slightly younger generation who had already applied and received the PJM, also the GSM clasp Malay Peninsula. Ours was the clasp Malaya (equal widths on the ribbon).

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Polishing my PJM :)
Something I've just found out while looking up Malaysian gongs is that many, though not all, entitle the awardee to post nominals.

Best you revise your handle now, Gungythree P.J.M.

Latest Threads