Any Medal Spotters out there?

Discussion in 'Medals' started by civvynow, Apr 22, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. gday all, brand spanking new here, as I thought one of you may be able to ID some of these medals and where they come from !! for a friend who thought as I was ex pongo I would know??? I think not
    Any help appreciated. Sorry for crap Phots!
    IMG_0462.jpg IMG_0463.jpg IMG_0464.jpg
  2. Ex 'pongo' eh? Were you Mobile Infantry? How many bugs did you kill?
  3. No medals that I can see.

A couple of old RA/RE collar dogs, an old (WW2?) REME badge and what looks like a drummers badge.
  4. An ex-pongo refering to themselves as such! **** me I think a pig just flew past my window!
    Look more like beret badges to me.
  5. REME, the one with REME written on it........Drummer, the Drum, one RA collar dog and one RE collar dog
  6. Thanks, I should have been a bit less quick on the keyboard, of course not medals, cap badges/collar dogs etc I meant. Yeah could see the obvious REME and Drum etc, but does anyone know from what era they come from, or Battalion even ?
  7. Apart from the REME badge which is Corps Specific, the other RA/RE collar dogs were generic to those regiments as a whole.
    The drummers badge was also generic to qualified drummers of any regiment that used them.

They all look like they are made of brass so I would put them in the 1920s-1960s time bracket with the exception of the REME badge which I think changed to its current shape after WW2.
  8. I think what you have there is a rare set. It would appear to be the insignia for a member of the Workshop Drums Platoon of 501st (Atmospheric Music and Light) Regiment the Royal Artillery Engineers. A little known outfit they, unremarked, produced much of the drama and tension for the Second World War. They played Beethoven's Fifth on D Day, performed Colonel Bogey for prisoners in Burma and went on to reprise some of The Doors and Animals stuff in Vietnam.

As an ex pongo I am shocked you have not heard of them.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Wash your mouth out with soap!

RE and RA grenades are NOT the same. Different number of flames
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Where did I say that RA and RE grenades were the same?

There are 2 types shown hence my RA/RE comment.
  11. Cheers people, I knew they may be a few experts in here, thankfully. My farmer mate who found these things over the years will be happy !!! He will probably try and give them to the right units historical people. So I can guess my next post in a few days time will be , who has any links to the right places for these to go too.
  12. I used to have a drum badge like the one shown that belonged to a chap who was in during WWI, and was de-mobbed soon after the end, so that one at least could be WWI vintage.
  13. Your 'Farmer mate' found them? On his freshly ploughed field near ATR cap badge land?
    I call wah - ******* sock puppet, wmhc?
  14. Actually Mick no "wah" at all. His farm had Soldiers training on it through WW1 and WW2, As did a shed loads of farms in Yorkshire, even the bloody Romans had a turn here, so yeah bits and pieces do turn up when he plows fields. He is not a ebay guy either, but between him and his Dad they had a tin full of things and would like to know what they are, and what is wrong with that FFS.