Any light dragoons?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by adam2012, Aug 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there any currently serving light dragoons on here, if there is could you please PM me.
  2. I've met a few heavy dragoons. Do they count?
  3. Go to Wales, there be dragons.

Oh, you said Dragoons, must have been the accent that confused me. I'll get my coat
  4. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Ex 15/19H and therefore member of the Light Dragoons Association. The Regimental Secretary is an old friend of mine. Can I help?
  5. I just wanted to know a bit about what you do on a daily basis in the regiment and if somebody from leeds would fit in?
  6. Was on Herrick 10 with them, great bunch. However, their officers can be pretty intolerable at times.
  7. AlienFTM

What we did in our day was "as little as possible," but that was 30 years ago. I don't think much has changed.

First parade followed by a quick check of the vehicles and any planned maintenance.
    Choose from:
    Occasionally get dicked for fatigues (keep your nose clean and others might get dicked ahead of you). Stops when you get a promotion.
    Training sometimes. Sit and watch films (if they are still relevant, being 30-50 years old makes no difference, so expect to see 3-ton Bedfords, olive green combats, etc). I don't know if Nuclear, Biological and Chemical training gets the coverage it did in the Cold War.
    Day at the ranges converting live rounds into empty cases.
    Prep for exercise / exercise / post-exercise admin.
    Stop for NAAFI break (pie and a brew).
    Repeat above until lunchtime.

Repeat above until knock-off.

Evening meal.
    Own time: convert beer tokens into piss (through the beer stage).

Guard duty a couple of times a month. Typically "12 hours (ish)" during the week, 24 hours at weekend.

Note that these days alcohol is not as well tolerated as it was back in the day.

They are currently in theatre (mercifully the TV and the CO's monthly newsletters have reported only one major injury and no deaths so far, touch wood, unlike Op Panther's Claw last time out). With the Afghanistan run-down, I wouldn't personally bet too much on your getting a tour, but I could be wrong.

I think the above is fairly universal, only the equipment being operated varies.

As for coming from Leeds. I assume Leeds is South, not West Yorkshire, in which case you are smack in the southern recruiting area (but I honestly imagine that if you are just outside the area, it isn't an issue. Recruiting areas are a guideline, not an iron curtain. If recce is your business, LD ("England's Northern Cavalry") are a no-brainer for anyone in Leeds. With the small number of recce regiments to choose from, there'll be plenty of people from further afield. Expect to take stick from the Geordie Mafia for being a Cockney, but in truth it's universal: Geordies hate Mackems and vice versa, but in my experience the Regiment trumps local feuds.

I hope this is helpful, but let me stress again that it's thirty years this week since I left, so I stand to be corrected by those closer to the pulse.
  8. AlienFTM

Then there are course, either career-enhancing (crew skills upgrade - driving, radio, gunnery - Forward Air Controller, sniper) or good fun like rock climbing, parachuting.

And there'll be focus on fitness. No lazy idle skivers any more.
  9. Prepare to be fleeced by the PRI shop. They were absolute bellends when I spent my final few months there. Down town breaking windows, walking into petrol stations and pissing over everything in the shop. This of course after being warned off by the RSM to not **** up at the weekend.
  10. This.