Any Ipad Iowners out there?

P

PrinceAlbert

I have acquired an Ipad. Are there any other users out there?

If so, what apps can you all recommend? Any "must haves", also and "absolute shiite" apps too please.

Free ones are all well and good, but I don't want to fork out for gash ones.

Thanks in advance

The only one I really bother with are the bbc, google maps and this tv guide.

I don't really do apple products much tbh, but this was a gift so it sits around on my coffee table doing little but providing a quick reference for what's on the box. I'll keep an eye here, maybe I'm missing out on the point of this thing...

iThoughtsHD is a great mind mapping piece of kit - if you do mindmapping that is.

Don't forget you can save web pages as desktop icons and so basically have a 'webapp' - linkedin, C4 News and arrse all work well like this.

Worth the six quid for 'pages' and 'numbers'

UK Traffic HD is tempting but the live 'traffic flow' feed you get on the native maps app is missing - so stick with that.

Wikihood and Discover both good if you are a wiki fan.

Sketchbook is featured on the TV ads; great but complicated.

IMDB is a good free movie app.

P

PrinceAlbert

I have the TV guide already, and the Sky+ app is great (if you have sky+) as you can set your box to recored TV from wherever you may be.

IMDB is great for settling those pub arguments on who starred in what etc

pocket pond is fun :D like having a koi pond, when you touch the water the fish scatter, and you can knock dragonflies in to feed 'em!!

P

PrinceAlbert

Tower Madness HD is a great "tower defence" game that has kept me interested for a long time. Can be challenging too.

If you have kids that are 4 or older, they'll love things like Talking Tom. Come to think of it, have not seen my iPad in weeks... It's amazing how kids cannot read or write but can use an iPad, clever bid of kit that is.

Agreed, star walk is pretty impressive, you have to use it to appreciate how innovative it really is. Edited to add, you put the iPad up to the sky and as you move around it displays the night sky you should be seeing, very impressive.

Air video is also good, it streams your media across your wifi home network so you can watch anything on your iPad that's on your pc, I think it was free too.

Wikipanion is a wiki client that's worth having.

Amazons kindle software, which is free, for reading digital books, well recommended.

I think everyone must have heard of shazam, more usefull on the iPhone, but it can recognize any music I've tried it with so far.

World clock if you need to know the time of day in multiple time zones/cities around the world.

iswifter, allows flash movies/games to be played on ipad

Filmon - UK and International TV

eBay app, prefer it over windows based pc use

Opera browser - like the look, fell and inprivate browsing

Games: Tribez, Tcrisis2,gardens,
Apps, Tuneinradio, Kindle, 4odcatchup, goskywatch is a free star map, and not bad. Plus there are some weather apps.

Prey (called Prey Anti-theft on the app store) is pretty useful if it ever gets stolen- it locks the iPad, and displays a message announcing to all and sundry that it's been stolen, and to contact you. Also shows its location on a map. It's also free, and works for laptops and phones as well.

Here's their website for more info: http://preyproject.com/

Have a look at 5-0 Radio - its a US Police/Fire Department scanner........... good for a laugh. Other than that, Kindle, Sky News, Sky+, Netflix, Met Office, IMDb, Metro. There are too many games to mention, but lately Ive been playing Breitling Air Races which is good.

walkyrie

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
AppShopper - like iTunes Store, but with much better searching tools. I've got my filters permanently set to "Games - Price Drop - Free" to take advantage of any short term discounts.

PhoneDrive - Turns your iPad into a Wifi hard drive basically. Incredibly useful since Apple removed the plug-n-play external hard drive options from its latest generation tech.

Trip Advisor - Incredibly useful when away from home. As you'd expect, it'll find your location and bring up suggestions for restaurants, things to do etc etc. I've never bought a guidebook since.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Arte_et_Marte Mobile Phones 10
No_Duff Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets 67
KyleH Films, Music and All Things Artsy 4