Any interest in working in Forestry?

It does vary depending on how productive you are, how many tickets and experience you have. As an example I get £200 a day felling the oversized trees that the machine can't handle, but all my costs come out of that. On a piece rate it can be from £8 a ton felled and stacked in decent wood to £15 a ton in not so decent.

I have to make clear that I'm not looking to employ anyone, cutters usually work in pairs ( both being self employed subcontractors)nowadays due to health and safety requirements, although some places I can still get away with lone working.

Good reply .

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
So am I right in saying you're basically looking for someone to neighbour up with so you can do the dual working jobs without being stuck with a fanny?

Makes sense, but the prerequisites of quals etc may limit it a fair bit for a lot of service leavers or ex-forces types. Different if you were a company hiring and training, you'd probably find the sort you were after.

Good luck though, a very down to earth and honest post.

P.S - We have lazy mongs too. Beware.

My best mate did 9 years in the Army , left , spent 4 years bumming around the world. Including working as a lumberjack in Canada as well as a tree feller in Australia.
Returning to the UK went to Hartpury University to get a degree be come a Arboriculturist. That included his tickets for chainsaw and recovery, first aid.

Now like me he’s an old git so not much tree climbing but is well respected with contracts with the local council , woodland trust and National trust.

aim for the sky .

My best mate did 9 years in the Army , left , spent 4 years bumming around the world. Including working as a lumberjack in Canada as well as a tree feller in Australia.
Returning to the UK went to Hartpury University to get a degree be come a Arboriculturist. That included his tickets for chainsaw and recovery, first aid.

Now like me he’s an old git so not much tree climbing but is well respected with contracts with the local council , woodland trust and National trust.

aim for the sky .

So am I right in saying you're basically looking for someone to neighbour up with so you can do the dual working jobs without being stuck with a fanny?

Makes sense, but the prerequisites of quals etc may limit it a fair bit for a lot of service leavers or ex-forces types. Different if you were a company hiring and training, you'd probably find the sort you were after.

You're spot on, I was just thinking if any lads were thinking of this as a career and were doing the tickets or planning to and live in Wiltshire we could possibly sort something out. It might even plant the seed if some were unsure of what they wanted to do with their lives after leaving. In either case drop me a message!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

The Scottish School of Forestry is in Inverness
Several different courses available.

Obviously training and powertools are not two words that you normally associate with each other! :)

Used to do this job when I was living in Wales after I'd decided that working in Education any further was not a healthy option for me.

Loved it, hard graft, dangerous, noisy machinery, decent money, outdoors and just me and the Dawgs on site for most of the time. Got trained up pretty quickly as I was a decent climber already.

My 17 year old started college last year on a blacksmith course. This year he's changed direction to forestry because the job prospects are better. (Blacksmithing was going to be two back to back one year courses rather than a two year course he's dropped, so he's got some quals and hasn't wasted his time)
He is absolutely loving it. Outdoors. Machines. Hard graft. It's great to see.
I suspect he's got half an eye on Canada.

Latest Threads