Any interest in auction of a model ship?

Discussion in 'Charity Auctions' started by Hairy Arrse, Apr 29, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a 1/72 scale model of a warship that I built a few years ago, that I offered to Help for Heroes for them to auction. However they were worried that it would get damaged and so didn't want it - apparently they'd had problems in the past with some donated model aircraft getting wrecked in the post.

I don't really want to keep the model myself, as it will probably get damaged due to me having to move locations pretty regularly. It was stored for a long time after my divorce (and Mrs HA Mk II isn't too keen on it anyway!)

It did raise some interest from the Flower Class Corvette Association, but they have gone quiet now as well so I thought I would ask here if anyone might be interested in having it in exchange for a donation to Help for Heroes?

The model is of HMS Campanula, a WW2 corvette (as in 'The Cruel Sea' - in fact she is the ship that Monsarrat served in). She is big, about 3 feet long, and VERY detailed; the model took me over two years to make.

The model is in a display case and can easily enough be moved by car. I'm in Putney and it would need to be collected from there - although I'd be happy with meeting someone halfway if that's preferable.

Attached Files:

2. YesItsMe

YesItsMe LE Good Egg (charities)

Thank you for offering this wonderful model to Holidays4Heroes, HA. :-D

Let's give it a little 'ship BUMP'. [​IMG]

So, is anyone interested in this and would like to place a bid ? :)

3. what are the dimensions?

4. YesItsMe

Well, it's a 1/72 scale model ... does anyone know the original size ? :)

5. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

£50 to kick things off.

I'll also let the scum on Rumration know about this.

6. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Jane's: 925 tons, length 205 ft overall, beam 33 ft, draught 14'6". Campanula was scrapped in Scotland in 1947.

7. Looks like a very good rendition of the kit which is £50 quid to buy unmade). Proper WA cam and a fair bit of extras by the look of it. Like the deck planking, looks real.
    BTW I was told that Revell who now market the kit won't be re-releasing it for ages, if ever as the moulds are getting rough. It was originally a Matchbox kit of the late 70's with very good detail....Blah blah. I must get out more.

Loads about but not as good as yours Hairy Arse. Now when it's gone are you getting the academy 1/350 warspite kit?

8. YesItsMe

Thank you for your bid, Ravers. :)

And thank you for the information, seaweed. If my calculating isn't complete rubbish, it should be something like 87cm long then.

9. Does it float?

10. Ahem!! ten characters

11. So its taller then this fella wot fell orf his horse

[​IMG]

12. Scum? You live there you bellwhacker.

Bump.

13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I was pretty much referring to you and Jonno when I said that.

Bump.

14. Sorry had lost sight of this thread. Thanks for the bumps (and the bid). No it doesn't float! (Well I don't think so anyway... But feel free to give it a 'float test' if you buy it!)

15. YesItsMe

Still at £50 with Ravers. :)

Can you please give a time limit for the auction, Hairy Arrse ?

Oh, and some helpful information from BONNACON about it: