Any info on these rations?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
US Issue: Menu No. 18, Marinara sauce with meatballs.

It has 'The Spoon'.
No, it has "the new spoon."

We received a few of the original MREs, which had a shorter, white, (where have I heard that before,) spoon.
It had a bigger bowl than the later brown ones but was more robust.

We had also acquired some C rations, I imagine from some of the risible attempts by the CIA of following Ops in Angola.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
The Oaty biscuits from Lidl taste remarkably like the oatmeal blocks I remember, except there used to be a sort of milky taste in the Compo Oatmeal blocks.
No idea why, it couldn't be from the milk powder they contained, eh ?

We received a few of the original MREs, which had a shorter, white, (where have I heard that before,) spoon.

We had also acquired some C rations, I imagine from some of the risible attempts by the CIA of following Ops in Angola.
Yeah, but the shorter one's were no good at getting into the corners of deep packets and tin's - I thought everyone wanted the brown one's nowadays.

Apparently they make good shiv's too ;)

Were the C rations part of their sponsorship package for Savimba?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Yeah, but the shorter one's were no good at getting into the corners of deep packets and tin's - I thought everyone wanted the brown one's nowadays.
Most people can open the packets, but I never saw an extra deep one from those MREs and LRRPs.
With you on the tins, at least for the phuthu tins.

Apparently they make good shiv's too ;)

Allegedly.

Were the C rations part of their sponsorship package for Savimba?
Have absolutely no idea, never saw UNITA okes with C's.
The US involvement in southern Africa was/is as flexible as their support for the Kurds, just not as intelligently performed.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As to WW II rations in the US, in 1965-1966 I was eating C Rations that had been canned in 1943 and 1944.
Not all were tasty but I never heard of anyone getting sick from them.
The non-smokers saved their ciggies and when they were issued a pack with the deservedly hated "ham with lima beans" could swap the ciggies with a smoker who had been issued the meal with a can of baked beans and Vienna sausages.
I thought everyone loved "Ham and MotherFuckers."

Pah! Those plastic spoons are shit. The end usually stays down the bottom of the baggie before you've even had the first mouth full.

These are the only spoons worth using for MREs.

ugly

LE
The tea spoons and dessert spoons on Eurostar trains are exceptionally long and robust , made of metal and easily borrowed when travelling business first!

Hi everyone! I'm trying to find info on these rations, I thought you guys could help.
  1. Gurkha rations - did anyone eat any? Does anyone have any pictures, or even still have any?
  2. Compo rations - What were yours like? What was the difference between bacon grill and bacon burgers?
  3. Emergency rations - when did you stop getting issued these? Where they just chocolate, or did they have other things in them as well?
  4. 24hr rations - What did they look like before 1980? Were there any prototypes or different varieties you were issued?
  5. 2 man rations - when were these issued? Did they come in metal or cardboard boxes?
  6. International rations - what were rations like for the French, Germans, Italians, Canadians etc?
  7. I've heard stories about units in the 60s and 70s getting rations from WW2 and even WW1 - is this true? Were they still good? What was in them?
  8. Info and pictures of old rations are very hard to find. Do you have any pictures of old rations (say, before 2000), or even newer rations (excluding the new British ORPs, I know quite a bit about them).
  9. Lastly - Do you have any old rations or compo rations you would be willing to sell/ give away? I collect and restore old rations, and old rations are getting harder to find every year.
Thank you for helping me out!
You should check out Steve1989 on youtube. This guy collects, opens and eats, then rates all ration packs from different eras and countries. The oldest thing he has tried so far is a hard tack biscuit from the American civil war and a tin of emergency ration meat (British) from the Boer war!

I'm friends with steve! I mostly mean British rations, Forces80 is the only site with good pictures of pre 1990 British rations, the rest are all grainy photos in black and white.

Thank you for this!

Thank you for this! Do you have any more info on the arcitc rations?
Love Steve1989! My youngest and I call him the Bob Ross of ration testing. Seems like such a nice guy. 'Ok, lets get this laid out on a tray... NICE!"

On exercise (late 80s) we were repeatedly given the arctic rations. Which wouldn't have been so bad if we hadn't been restricted to just one water bottle a day! You would use up the majority of your water just to re-hydrate the rice and dried peas.

Never was able to find out if the 1 water bottle rule was legit or just the SQMS being lazy.
One of the last Exercises I did produced arctic rations for part of it; well it was in Thetford for a change. Having wangled the role as G10 Norman (seemed that only we full screws were Helibedford pilots that Ex) I didn't partake thanks to regular trips back to camp hot showers and the cookhouse. The next morning all who'd enjoyed the Chicken Supreme were making full use of the turdis' and the medics kept busy, I trucked the remaining arctic rations back to camp for disposal and returned with many Norgies of range stew.

The_Poltroon

Clanker
One particularly delicious item I remember from the ration packs were the small chocolate bars that came in the big tins in the ten man ration packs marked 'Chocolate, Sweets, Matches' before the Yorkie bars (famously printed with 'it's not for civvies' on the wrapper) made an appearance

I remember initially the bars were made by Caxtons (now defunct I believe) and later by a company called OP Chocolate.

The chocolate bars came in three flavours.... milk, plain and raisin and biscuit

I found out OP Chocolate are still going and their factory is in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

I dropped them an email asking if there was anywhere I could buy some of their products but they never replied the Welsh carnts

OneTenner

Old-Salt
We were told by the septics that the kosher MRE's were the better tasting ones - 'captain's chicken' springs to mind.
We may have crushed some of the contents of the heater packs into panda pops and lobbed into open sangar embrasures after a vigorous shaking.... or not.

ETA the company that made the caffeine-laced chocolate for the Luftwaffe is still in existence. Scho-Ka-Kola, 100 g tin can, dark, RED

One particularly delicious item I remember from the ration packs were the small chocolate bars that came in the big tins in the ten man ration packs marked 'Chocolate, Sweets, Matches' before the Yorkie bars (famously printed with 'it's not for civvies' on the wrapper) made an appearance

I remember initially the bars were made by Caxtons (now defunct I believe) and later by a company called OP Chocolate.

The chocolate bars came in three flavours.... milk, plain and raisin and biscuit

I found out OP Chocolate are still going and their factory is in Merthyr Tydfil, South Wales

I dropped them an email asking if there was anywhere I could buy some of their products but they never replied the Welsh carnts
Carsons not Caxtons.... usually came white around the edges having been in storage since... oh... 1943!

It was definitely Caxtons

View attachment 437267
Carsons came in a blue wrapper... came in tins in the old 10 man ration pack., don't know when you served though Carsons disappeared from rations in the mid to late 1960s last I saw a bar was in Libya 1967 - presumably because stocks were exhausted.
Never heard of Caxtons - what years was that brand around?

I'm not a ration buff... I was infantry - just ate them!

Latest Threads