Any info on these rations?

I can remember in the days of Tinned Compo Rations being issued with Hard Tack Biscuits (?) .... not too bad with the tubed condensed milk or tinned cheese processed ... a bit on the hard side but I have always liked Bath Oliver's .

Last edited:
The word from the Belgies was that the foreign currency exchange rate for French rations was one American camp cot (from visiting US troops) for three, or four, French ration packs.
I got 5 AK 47's, for a can of chicken curry and a beret on Op Granby from a spam.

Also, Windy Miller went through all our rat packs and nicked all the apple puddings, the jack twat!

One item not on the OPs list is the UKWMO ration pack.

United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation ration packs were basically reduced calorie versions of the basic 24 hour ration pack. Frankly I can't remember much about them as they were classed as war stocks so were rarely used. I seem to recall that a lot were stored in damp conditions though so went off quite quickly.

The reduced calorie requirement was due to the lack of physical activity required of UKWMO/ROC under the circumstances when the packs would be consumed. However considering how cold and damp many ROC posts were I'm not sure as to the validity of that argument. Frankly I would have thought that it would have been cheaper to issue regular ration packs, even if on a reduced scale.

I can remember in the days of Tinned Compo Rations being issued with Hard Tack Biscuits (?) .... not too bad with the tubed condensed milk or tinned cheese processed ... a bit on the hard side but I have always liked Bath Oliver's .
Oatmeal blocks/biscuits, the round ones. Our shop was tucked away in the supply depot and the supply depot blokes used to come and bribe me with rat pack tin's of 10 of those in exchange for our shiny things.

In Brunei we had Gurkha rations which were very light and seemed to contain noodles as their main course. When not tactical it was supplemented with wild pig caught with fishing hooks and served as a curry - very nice.
A staple in all compo packs (the tin opener) which I have had since 1978 and is still attached to my waterproof.
Serious question: How did catching pigs with fishing hooks work?

cap174

Swinger
Oatmeal blocks/biscuits, the round ones. Our shop was tucked away in the supply depot and the supply depot blokes used to come and bribe me with rat pack tin's of 10 of those in exchange for our shiny things.
Did oatmeal blocks ever come in tins? I've only seen them in paper and foil packets.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

The ones I was referring to were oblong and about the size of what was later called Biscuits AB .

HE117

LE
From the 50s, most ORP was assembled by the Navy Victualling Yard at Botley.. (nothing, as far as I am aware to do with Botulism!). The Navy was the lead service for rations in the post war era as they needed packed rations for the ships. These rations came in several forms:

24 Hour Pack which came in three paper bags packed in a card box. These were designed for NW Europe and were based on tinned items and a mixture of custom and commercial items including tube jam and condensed milk. A Hexi stove was on issue at a scale of one per two rations. Water was needed to create drinks, but not for the main items.

Assault Rations which came in a polythene bag and were based on dehydrated items. These were designed for minimum weight, but required a considerable quantity of water to reconstitute. They were originally developed for operations in Malaya and the Far East where long duration patrolling was the norm.

4 Man Rations were based on larger tinned items and were designed to be shared by the crew of a vehicle.

10 Man Rations were again tinned, but designed for situations where collective feeding was in use.

There was also an additional scale of rations based on large catering size tins which were issued to large collective feeding facilities, base areas, ships and airfields.

The longest shelf lives of ration items that I was aware of were gas packed biscuits in 25lb tins. These were basically Biscuits Brown in paper wraps of five packed in tins filled, I think, with nitrogen. They had a shelf life of 25 years. I tried to palm off a load from the Aldershot Supply Depot to the Vets at Melton, who declared they were not fit for canine consumption.. so there you go!

The only wartime dated ration items I came across was Issue Rum in stoneware bottles in baskets!

The ones I was referring to were oblong and about the size of what was later called Biscuits AB .
Ok, ta.

Did oatmeal blocks ever come in tins? I've only seen them in paper and foil packets.

Yes, tins of 10. The old man used to bring them home for me in the 70's and then later when I was in, as said, I used to receive and scrounge them from the supply depot lads.

I saw the tins of 10 for sale in Blacks too (early 90's), slightly different writing on the tin, but definitely the same old same old.

One item not on the OPs list is the UKWMO ration pack.

United Kingdom Warning and Monitoring Organisation ration packs were basically reduced calorie versions of the basic 24 hour ration pack. Frankly I can't remember much about them as they were classed as war stocks so were rarely used. I seem to recall that a lot were stored in damp conditions though so went off quite quickly.
The reduced calorie requirement was due to the lack of physical activity required of UKWMO/ROC under the circumstances when the packs would be consumed. However considering how cold and damp many ROC posts were I'm not sure as to the validity of that argument. Frankly I would have thought that it would have been cheaper to issue regular ration packs, even if on a reduced scale.
My grandparents in the 1980s where given some sort of tins of government stewed beef from somewhere. It was given out to a lot of the old people and as far as I could tell it was some sort of reserve that needed using up ? I wonder if that's what it was ? Plain tins definitely not commercial stuff. They wouldn't eat it anyway , said they did not need charity!

What's the nearest equivalent to Oatmeal Blocks available today (outside of rat packs)?
Tesco do as their own brand a cheap round coarser Oatmeal Biscuit ... similar but not quite the same ... worth a try .

Last edited:
My grandparents in the 1980s where given some sort of tins of government stewed beef from somewhere. It was given out to a lot of the old people and as far as I could tell it was some sort of reserve that needed using up ? I wonder if that's what it was ? Plain tins definitely not commercial stuff. They wouldn't eat it anyway , said they did not need charity!
Since we were stood down in 1991 (except for Nuclear Reporting Cells, who being housed on military bases would presumably not have required UKWMO rations) then this could well have been the fate of the usable elements of the packs.

I do remember the tubes of jam and tubes of honey. The latter weren't a success as they rapidly went solid.

US Issue: Menu No. 18, Marinara sauce with meatballs.

It has 'The Spoon'.

When's that from? Is it your picture?
Thanks!

Mine, taken in the kitchen, just now. Picked up a box of MRE's a couple of years ago for about $50, they were eaten on the range, I have this one and one other left for curiosity. They all taste like re-constituted cardboard covered in Italian tomato sauce, or tabasco and they make you fart.

cap174

Swinger
Mine, taken in the kitchen, just now. Picked up a box of MRE's a couple of years ago for about $50, they were eaten on the range, I have this one and one other left for curiosity. They all taste like re-constituted cardboard covered in Italian tomato sauce, or tabasco and they make you fart.
Yeh, all the MREs I've had except chili msc, tortellini and maybe a few others were shit. Fancy chemical heater, though.

Latest Threads