Any info on these rations?

No they're not. This guy reviews (and eats) them regularly and is very informative - Steve1989MREInfo
He must have a cast iron constitution .... I have watched some of his YouTube videos ... he opens and eats rations going back to WW1 and earlier including the American Civil War .

cap174

Swinger
He must have a cast iron constitution .... I have watched some of his YouTube videos ... he opens and eats rations going back to WW1 and earlier including the American Civil War .
Some things still get him...

IIRC he got botulism from a modern Ukrainian ration, and being a yank he had to pay for all the treatment...

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

I'm friends with steve! I mostly mean British rations, Forces80 is the only site with good pictures of pre 1990 British rations, the rest are all grainy photos in black and white.

Thank you for this!

Thank you for this! Do you have any more info on the arcitc rations?
no.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Where'd you get that? Looks pretty good!

I have this ration, is it the same thing you guys got issued? From 1955.

All well and good, but if you're on a motorway, how are you going to turn?

We were issued them (or some thing very similar) for combat survival training on RoCo, with very clear instructions NEVER to open them.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk
So it went in the pouch with your Hamster - the ultimate ration accessory. You must have been emotionally and mentally scared by RoCo!

We had Arctic rations in training- apparently there were loads left after the Falklands war.
I was in junior leaders in 87 and we were issued them a lot on ex. Hated them as you had to actually use your mess tins to cook them in and they made a right mess for far too much effort.
All dehydrated foods, and this was back in the day when the army had silly ideas like you could get by on a couple of pints of water a day, so really dug into your 'ration' of water if you were nowhere near a water source.

Last edited:

cap174

Swinger
I've got another question - about biscuits. When did they (oatmeal block, biscuits brown and biscuits fruit) stop coming in paper and start coming in foil? Where there any differences between types of biscuits browns? How many of each did you get in a 24hr ration? And were biscuits fruits packs green or pink? Thank you!

So it went in the pouch with your Hamster - the ultimate ration accessory. You must have been emotionally and mentally scared by RoCo!
T'were a rabbit in my day...and wasn't everyone?

Although it (and specifically, passing it) might have been the best thing that ever happened to me...

I've got another question - about biscuits. When did they (oatmeal block, biscuits brown and biscuits fruit) stop coming in paper and start coming in foil? Where there any differences between types of biscuits browns? How many of each did you get in a 24hr ration? And were biscuits fruits packs green or pink? Thank you!

Certainly in foil by the late 70's. There were 'Biscuits, AB' and 'Biscuits, Brown, AB'. IIRC there two packets of AB and one of fruit. I think 5 per pack but not 100% sure.

Blogg

LE
Some things still get him...

IIRC he got botulism from a modern Ukrainian ration, and being a yank he had to pay for all the treatment...

He hasn't posted any Vid's for a while...

I recall one where somebody (maybe him) was opening a WWI era meaty ration can outdoors standing upwind in full Biohazard kit with an improvised propane incinerator on full chat nearby.

It wasn't pretty.

cap174

Swinger
He hasn't posted any Vid's for a while...

I recall one where somebody (maybe him) was opening a WWI era meaty ration can outdoors standing upwind in full Biohazard kit with an improvised propane incinerator on full chat nearby.

It wasn't pretty.
He's still around, working on a really big project.

To make it even worse, that can wasn't ww1, it was Boer war.

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
The 12 hr rat packs in Afghan were interesting. So many carbs in such a small box.

RAOC used to monitor the production/issue/expiry dates of rations to make sure perishables did not go off prior to issue. I remember one session in the supply depot, Lisburn Garrison, where for a week or two all the depot lads worked their day job and then an evening shift on top. They had to open and re-seal rat boxes after taking out and replacing the included rotting Mars bar.

French rations were,and are still very nice indeed, cordon bleu in comparison to most. I used to get them from a Belgian para who was a mate, yes the Belgies pick up French rations too. The word from the Belgies was that the foreign currency exchange rate for French rations was one American camp cot (from visiting US troops) for three, or four, French ration packs.

Latest Threads