Any info on these rations?

cap174

Swinger
Hi everyone! I'm trying to find info on these rations, I thought you guys could help.
  1. Gurkha rations - did anyone eat any? Does anyone have any pictures, or even still have any?
  2. Compo rations - What were yours like? What was the difference between bacon grill and bacon burgers?
  3. Emergency rations - when did you stop getting issued these? Where they just chocolate, or did they have other things in them as well?
  4. 24hr rations - What did they look like before 1980? Were there any prototypes or different varieties you were issued?
  5. 2 man rations - when were these issued? Did they come in metal or cardboard boxes?
  6. International rations - what were rations like for the French, Germans, Italians, Canadians etc?
  7. I've heard stories about units in the 60s and 70s getting rations from WW2 and even WW1 - is this true? Were they still good? What was in them?
  8. Info and pictures of old rations are very hard to find. Do you have any pictures of old rations (say, before 2000), or even newer rations (excluding the new British ORPs, I know quite a bit about them).
  9. Lastly - Do you have any old rations or compo rations you would be willing to sell/ give away? I collect and restore old rations, and old rations are getting harder to find every year.
Thank you for helping me out!

Emergency rations - when did you stop getting issued these? Where they just chocolate, or did they have other things in them as well?

I still have 2 tins of emergency chocolate rations, in their sealed containers, dated 1964, issued to me in 1979, I did open another one in 1980 while out on exercise in BAOR, and the 4 slabs were rock hard, and turning white, they tasted awful then, god knows what the state of the remaining two are now.

Just_plain_you

War Hero
- Do you have any old rations or compo rations you would be willing to sell/ give away? I collect and restore old rations, and old rations are getting harder to find every year.
A man's got to have a hobby....

cap174

Swinger
I still have 2 tins of emergency chocolate rations, in their sealed containers, dated 1964, issued to me in 1979, I did open another one in 1980 while out on exercise in BAOR, and the 4 slabs were rock hard, and turning white, they tasted awful then, god knows what the state of the remaining two are now.
Got any pics?

Got any pics?

I honestly don't know how to do that, I have been told I need a smart phone, something I do not own. The tins are 1oz tobacco tin size, same shape, gold coloured, with a sealed copper band around the outside. Printer on the lid is:-

SURVIVAL RATION CHOCOLATE.
(Individual)
Purpose of contents.
To be consumed only when no other rations
of any kind are procurable

TO OPEN
Strip of band, insert coin in corner groove
and turn.

C. Ltd
Pkd 7/64

offog

LE
Hi everyone! I'm trying to find info on these rations, I thought you guys could help.
  1. Gurkha rations - did anyone eat any? Gurkhas I would imagine.
  2. Compo rations - What were yours like? All depended on your tastes, I liked pilchards, some got upset when they changed out the salmond and the chicken in brown was better than the chicken supreme. What was the difference between bacon grill and bacon burgers? One came as five burgers the other as a slab you cut up.
  3. Emergency rations - when did you stop getting issued these? Where they just chocolate, or did they have other things in them as well? Never issued them but if you are talking about the RAF survival ration, they were rabbit brains!
  4. 24hr rations - What did they look like before 1980? Were there any prototypes or different varieties you were issued? Came in tins and very similar to the older ones with tubs of jam and milk unless they were arctic and they were dehydrated in plastic bags.
  5. 2 man rations - when were these issued? Never heard of them and not sure why you would have them.
  6. International rations - what were rations like for the French, Germans, Italians, Canadians etc?
  7. I've heard stories about units in the 60s and 70s getting rations from WW2 and even WW1 - is this true? Were they still good? What was in them? RAOC would regularly check quality and edibility. Ration were turned over regularly and operational stocks would move to training stocks. On occasions item would be removed if they were found to be a problem with them. Even as a cadet in the70s WW2 ration were not issued and WW1 would have been used up in WW2.
  8. Info and pictures of old rations are very hard to find. Do you have any pictures of old rations (say, before 2000), or even newer rations (excluding the new British ORPs, I know quite a bit about them).
  9. Lastly - Do you have any old rations or compo rations you would be willing to sell/ give away? I collect and restore old rations, and old rations are getting harder to find every year.
See text in blue

Theres a dedicated website somewhere that answers nearly all the questions, and many more, complete with photos.

And a court martial offence to consume them unless with the permission of an an officer, so we were told.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

cap174

Swinger
No they're not. This guy reviews (and eats) them regularly and is very informative.
I'm friends with steve! I mostly mean British rations, Forces80 is the only site with good pictures of pre 1990 British rations, the rest are all grainy photos in black and white.

I honestly don't know how to do that, I have been told I need a smart phone, something I do not own. The tins are 1oz tobacco tin size, same shape, gold coloured, with a sealed copper band around the outside. Printer on the lid is:-
Thank you for this!

See text in blue
Thank you for this! Do you have any more info on the arcitc rations?

1. Gurkha rations - did anyone eat any? Does anyone have any pictures, or even still have any?
  2. Compo rations - What were yours like? What was the difference between bacon grill and bacon burgers?
  3. Emergency rations - when did you stop getting issued these? Where they just chocolate, or did they have other things in them as well?
  4. 24hr rations - What did they look like before 1980? Were there any prototypes or different varieties you were issued?
  5. 2 man rations - when were these issued? Did they come in metal or cardboard boxes?
  7. I've heard stories about units in the 60s and 70s getting rations from WW2 and even WW1 - is this true? Were they still good? What was in them?
In Brunei we had Gurkha rations which were very light and seemed to contain noodles as their main course. When not tactical it was supplemented with wild pig caught with fishing hooks and served as a curry - very nice.
A staple in all compo packs (the tin opener) which I have had since 1978 and is still attached to my waterproof.

Attachments

Ghurka rations seemed to consist of curry and rice, IIRC. I only remember sampling a main meal. Eye-wateringly hot.

Bacon burgers separated out into burgers. The grill came in one chunk. Both were gopping unless you actually fried them.

Rations pre-1980 came with tubes of jam (invariably apricot) and, more memorably, tubes of condensed ('condemned') milk.

I never saw 2-man rations, only 24, 4-man and 10-man.

Arctic rations had more scoff.

German rations are carp. As are Dutch.

French rations are poncy

Canadian rations are very good & about 50% bigger than Brit ones.

Australian ones came with a Gucci can opener that also has a small racing spoon on the other end.

I was only ever issued emergency rations in 1981. I have no idea what they issue now.

Sent from my S41 using Tapatalk

I was there man!
Wild pigs are notorious for rummaging, so bury hooks on strong lines in the rubbish and then wait for the screams. Said pig was finished off with a sharp trip flare picket.

Where'd you get that? Looks pretty good!

I have this ration, is it the same thing you guys got issued? From 1955.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk
Never saw that as a conventional rat pack item . Could it be an air crew survival tin?

cap174

Swinger
Never saw that as a conventional rat pack item . Could it be an air crew survival tin?
I think it might be a ration either given to soldiers for emergencies, or given to pilots in case of a crash landing. Seller said it was from Borneo, that's all I know.

Sent from my moto g(6) plus using Tapatalk

I'm friends with steve! I mostly mean British rations, Forces80 is the only site with good pictures of pre 1990 British rations, the rest are all grainy photos in black and white.

Thank you for this!

Thank you for this! Do you have any more info on the arcitc rations?
We had Arctic rations in training- apparently there were loads left after the Falklands war.
I don’t remember much about individual items- except apple flakes and rolled oats- but the theme was that everything was dried because obviously in the Arctic there’s loads of snow to reconstitute the stuff. Pretty ******* minging was my other recollection.
AFAIK Bacon Grill and Bacon Burgers were the same meat but that you were supposed to thinly slice the former- like bacon rashers- and thickly slice the latter- like burgers.
I have a vague memory of the burgers either having lines inscribed around the edge as an aid to this procedure, or they had been pre-cut at one stage but had “healed” back into one lump during their incarceration in the tin?

Latest Threads