any ideas ..

friend asked me if I could help ...she is trying to put together a memory box of her dad ..she has got loads of gear ,but one thing stumps her..she says " On my Dad's service records it says he was issued in 1944 with 4 bar service chevrons " he was in the sherwood foresters ,did 15 years got the LS&GC rank on discharge was Private..all I can think of is the chevrons of a Drummy ,which he definitely wasnt ,or could they have been good conduct stripes?anyone help? and any pics of what she is after
Ta muchly

friend asked me if I could help ...she is trying to put together a memory box of her dad ..she has got loads of gear ,but one thing stumps her..she says " On my Dad's service records it says he was issued in 1944 with 4 bar service chevrons " he was in the sherwood foresters ,did 15 years got the LS&GC rank on discharge was Private..all I can think of is the chevrons of a Drummy ,which he definitely wasnt ,or could they have been good conduct stripes?anyone help? and any pics of what she is after
Ta muchly

Not sure that this is an Arrsepedia matter but here...

The Good-Conduct stripe was a British Army award for good conduct during service in the Regular Army by an enlisted man. The insignia was a points-up chevron of NCO's lace worn on the lower sleeve of the uniform jacket. It was given to Privates and Lance Corporals for 2, 6, 12, or 18 years' service without being subject to formal discipline. A further stripe was awarded for every 5 years of good service after the 18th (23-, 28-, 33-, 38-, 43-, or 48 years).​
If the soldier had never had their name written in the Regimental Conduct Book, they earned the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th stripes after 16-, 21-, 26-, and 32 years respectively.​
1594070354001.jpeg
With no regimental entries, the 4th stripe was awarded in year 16.​

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Bugle Major?

Ta muchly
Most likely war service chevrons. These were issued for each year of service during the war.

Last edited:
If the soldier had never had their name written in the Regimental Conduct Book, they earned the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th stripes after 16-, 21-, 26-, and 32 years respectively.
:confused:That's me buggered then.

Unlikely... you lot get good conduct stripes just for turning up the next day. To go with the medals you get for turning up on the right day.

This rack was for getting through basic.

View attachment 487749
Hey! I'll have you to know basic training was rough! It was 9 weeks of dry as a desert hell with nary a canteen break. I earned every medal I got (except for those Squid and Jarhead merit badges - they can have those back.)

Dwarf

LE

Latest Threads