Any Ideas?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by PRC-349, Apr 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm having trouble tracking down a book, I do not know the title/author however the plot is: After the war the body of Heinrich Himmler has risen and is killing off people, starting with a woman crucified to a gentlemans front door.

Very vauge i know but I only managed to read the firt chapter before needing to leave in a rush. The book is a blood red paperback featuring a black swastika and eagle.

Any Ideas?

PRC

2. The Spear by James Herbert?

3. Splendid, many thanks to you Mistersoft and intergeri, will be ordering that ASAP. Was quite gripping.

4. It's been a while since I read 'The Spear'. A good read, like all of James Herbert's books.

5. I'm looking forward to it, I currently have a backlog of Dan Brown and Jack Higgins to get through first though. Too many charity shops round here :lol:

6. I still remember the 1st time i read The Rats, I was about 12, scared me sh1tless.
    The Fog is quite good too. Nothing and i repeat nothing like the film of same name.

7. I read it many years ago and it is a good book though without giving too much away, James Herbert knows fcuk all about Gazelles (which do feature in the story) and by Gazelles, I mean the helicopters, not the small antelope that cheetahs seem to consume on a regular basis.

IIRC , there is a reference to a twist throttle and also a pilot is asked to cut his motors. Or am I just being pedantic? :)

8. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I read The Fog whilst ski adventure training in Cyprus 76-77 and loved it. I think I bought Fluke on the back of it and couldn't get into it. Then I read the blurb about the film of The Fog, saw it had been completely Hollywoodised (is that Hollywoodized?) and gave up with the author.

It jogged my memory of the film of The Langoliers, but it turns out that's a Stephen King.

9. Andy_S

Andy_S LE Book Reviewer

Himmler rises from the grave and goes on murder spree? Let me think....we can rule out Tolstoy for a start; I don't think it was Dostoevsky; Amis may be a possibility.

Ah - James Herbert! Classic literature indeed.

Though not quite in the same class as Guy N Smith, author of the (endless) "Night of the Crabs" series in which giant maneating crabs rise from the depths and invade, IIRC, the Scoootish Highlands, South Pacific islands, and sundry other interesting locales.

I believe I have, somewhere, a copy of his acknowledged masterpiece, "The Slime Monster" in which a, er, slimey monster rises from the Fens and kills various people for reasons I don't recall. All jolly good stuff, written with the style and subtley of a bacon butty in a synagogue canteen, and as convincing a story as "Devil's Guard."