Any ideas what this horsey thing is?

Other than a "horsey thing"...

It's seems to be hollow, cast brass, painted very dark green

I bought it in a second-hand shop in Ipswich about 20 years back. It looked interesting and only cost a couple quid. No one I know has a clue as to what it is or where it came from. Also, as far as I know, there isn't a trail of corpses where ever it goes - well no one I know has mysteriously died since I got it, so I doubt it's one of these bizarre cursed things that make many a corny movie.

I figured if there was ever an educated, well travelled, cultured, know-it-all bunch of folk who would know, then this surely must be the place...

Attachments

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Never seen owt remotely like it. Local museums are good for this sort of thing, or I know a couple of friendly dealers in London if you want?

Edit - is it a horse? That gob looks dog-like.

I would have to wonder whether it is West African in origin. My Grandfather brought back some pieces from Nigeria and the syle is similar to a couple of those do dads.

I would agree about the local museum angle too.

I doubt it's worth much, just bugged me as to what it is. as for local museums & such, I no longer live in the UK and don't reckon I'll be setting foot there for quite a few years to come...

I'm still wait for Google to do their "image search" where you up load a picture and it finds similar stuff - was touted a few years, but never heard much after that.

My mum has loads of stuff like that from Hong Kong. They called it 'mouldy bronze' over there, she has a chinese war-horse, a buddha and a big temple bell....just ornamental stuff.

A thalidomide horse

At a guess I would say an Etruscan (Pre Roman Italy) Bronze replica....

Similar hairdo and markings...

Attachments

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm still wait for Google to do their "image search" where you up load a picture and it finds similar stuff - was touted a few years, but never heard much after that.
Google Chrome. Go to Images and click the camera icon in the search box. I just did it. Nothing remotely close but it did throw up this gem...

eye-of-the-hurricane-006.jpg

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'm with tuffy52 - getting Etruscan / Mesopotamian maybe? Dogs face, horses hooves. Its an interesting beast.

Other than a "horsey thing"...

It's seems to be hollow, cast brass, painted very dark green

I bought it in a second-hand shop in Ipswich about 20 years back. It looked interesting and only cost a couple quid. No one I know has a clue as to what it is or where it came from. Also, as far as I know, there isn't a trail of corpses where ever it goes - well no one I know has mysteriously died since I got it, so I doubt it's one of these bizarre cursed things that make many a corny movie.

I figured if there was ever an educated, well travelled, cultured, know-it-all bunch of folk who would know, then this surely must be the place...
Trojan Horse for small Greeks.

Google Chrome. Go to Images and click the camera icon in the search box. I just did it. Nothing remotely close but it did throw up this gem...
Sweet, I didn't know that. Just tried it out. Not much close, but along with the shitting mutt, there was a nice pair mittens... I added "bronze horse sculpture" to the description and got this:

Attachments

Not Mesopotamian,they were far more sophisticated.However it is a recognized Etruscan style namely,,, turquoise verde patinated bronze.
It would appear that it is not catalogued..Take it to a dealer or museum..but let us know.

Attachments

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P NOW That's What I Call ARRSE 1 98
C Army Reserve 20
E Current Affairs, News and Analysis 13