Any ideas what this horsey thing is?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by alloydog, Nov 30, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Other than a "horsey thing"...

It's seems to be hollow, cast brass, painted very dark green

I bought it in a second-hand shop in Ipswich about 20 years back. It looked interesting and only cost a couple quid. No one I know has a clue as to what it is or where it came from. Also, as far as I know, there isn't a trail of corpses where ever it goes - well no one I know has mysteriously died since I got it, so I doubt it's one of these bizarre cursed things that make many a corny movie.

I figured if there was ever an educated, well travelled, cultured, know-it-all bunch of folk who would know, then this surely must be the place...

Attached Files:

2. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Never seen owt remotely like it. Local museums are good for this sort of thing, or I know a couple of friendly dealers in London if you want?

Edit - is it a horse? That gob looks dog-like.
  3. Keep us posted if you ever find out what it is and where it came from. Hopefully you've struck gold, mate.
  4. I would have to wonder whether it is West African in origin. My Grandfather brought back some pieces from Nigeria and the syle is similar to a couple of those do dads.

I would agree about the local museum angle too.
  5. I doubt it's worth much, just bugged me as to what it is. as for local museums & such, I no longer live in the UK and don't reckon I'll be setting foot there for quite a few years to come...

I'm still wait for Google to do their "image search" where you up load a picture and it finds similar stuff - was touted a few years, but never heard much after that.
  6. My mum has loads of stuff like that from Hong Kong. They called it 'mouldy bronze' over there, she has a chinese war-horse, a buddha and a big temple bell....just ornamental stuff.
  7. I think it is commonly known as junk.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. A thalidomide horse
    • Like Like x 3
  9. It's one of Tropper's chariot horses. Circa 200 AD.
  10. At a guess I would say an Etruscan (Pre Roman Italy) Bronze replica....

Similar hairdo and markings...

Attached Files:

• etru.jpg
      File size:
      20.2 KB
  11. TheIronDuke

Google Chrome. Go to Images and click the camera icon in the search box. I just did it. Nothing remotely close but it did throw up this gem...

• Like Like x 5
  12. I always thought the muzzle was more like a dog, but I haven't seem too many dogs with a Mohican hair do - OK, OK, a quick google will turn up a few thousand, so no need to post 'em.
  13. TheIronDuke

I'm with tuffy52 - getting Etruscan / Mesopotamian maybe? Dogs face, horses hooves. Its an interesting beast.
  14. I'd guess Persian.
  15. Trojan Horse for small Greeks.