any ideas what knocked this tank out..... not a very big hol

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by scouse_security, May 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. /www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/coppermine/displayimage/meta=lastalb/cat=2/pos=2.html

2. Sabot round?

3. didnt know a sabot left such a small hole. thourght it would be a bit bigger like......... could very well be thou

4. I'm not an expert on these things, but the shape of the wound suggests either that a scab has come off the outside (indicating that this is an exit wound) or a hole has been pushed through the armour following an initial explosion on the surface. I tend toward the exit wound, suggesting that an AP round of some sort has cooked off inside the tank.

5. oppppppppps bet they want that to happen. any way tar lads i was just woundering ....

6. In my experience, sabot often leaves very neat and tidy holes in armour; it's generally a very clean kill. I'm not discounting Putteesinmyhand exit wound theory, but I am wondering if it's not a hit with a tank round, but some kind of a GW long rod penetrator hit. Either way, it certainly the kind of thing viewed best from the outside and with hindsight.

I'll ask my mate Gunners for an expert opinion.

7. thanks m8. could it be a round from an A10, u have gopt me thinking now

8. The scarring around the hole suggests that it was a HEAT round. The larger damage was probably caused by over-pressure being forced back out of the entry hole.

9. It's been caused by a fin round going in. The insides will look dreadful. It's not A10 strike - they leave very different holes in weak armour like this.

10. thank you DD. lol just been reading about the faceparty walts lmfao

11. Hi S_S,

I've just heard from my mate whose opinion is that it's the result of a hit by a HEAT round.

"It's certainly not any main armament round we'd use.

Thinking about it, it could very well be a gobbly-wobbly of some sort, as there are gangs of them out there.

When I first looked at it however, I automatically thought it was the result of a hit by a HEAT round,with the breach being caused by the distance tubing.

Not anything we'd use as I said,but we were always really the odd ones out in going for HESH,as just about everyone else used HEAT."

I'll leave the gunnery world in Gunners's capable hands now and pop back over my side of the turret, empty his p*ss can, get the BV on for a brew, get him a Carly out of the bag charge bins and make some processed cheese and jam sandwiches - making sure of course to add the trademark oily thumbprint!

12. there was me thinking it was just a bog standerd tank round

13. I'm thinking shaped charge round as well. Sabot strikes have a bit of raising around the hole (which is about the right size), but I've never seen a gouge out like that before. I wonder if it mightn't have been a TOW missile? That's got a good enough bang to it, but will still leave a small hole.

"Abrahms?" Why can nobody spell Abrams right? It's only six letters.

The STAFF round never entered production. Current rounds are Sabot, HEAT (Going out of service), MPAT, HE-OR, Cannister. That last one is probably fun.

NTM

14. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Much as the description of the STAFF round took my breath away (and then I see it never entered production), it didn't change my immediate feeling that it was from a HEAT round. The penetration wasn't exactly vertical as described, was it?