Any idea what this is?

Hi all,

I’ve recently moved into a house, dating from 1818, in the Charente Maritime with barn and stables on the property.

I was clearing out the barn and found the gun in the photos seemingly ‘’hidden’’ against the back wall. I’ve cleaned it up, there are no manufacturers markings or proof stamp.

Given the muzzle, could it be a blunderbus? We’re seriously out in the sticks here, one wonders whether any nefarious goings-on may have been facilitated by this item.

Anyone got any info?

Edit: Before you lot start, I know it’s a ‘’gun’’ :)
4CDDC371-D2B4-4FE8-88EE-816DE2F0D3C0.jpeg
9452B63A-E0A6-436C-A557-616584E3F939.jpeg
451B147F-D268-44E6-B85B-C250A1746C27.jpeg
5E9FA511-2A8D-4819-A6AA-29D30B1B39C7.jpeg

Looks like a C18th carriage blunderbuss. Carried by coachmen to ward off attacks from highwaymen and the like.

Depending on condition (and my 'identification by internet photo' being accurate), it could worth a fair few beer tokens.

Looks like a C18th carriage blunderbuss. Carried by coachmen to ward off attacks from highwaymen and the like.

Depending on condition (and my 'identification by internet photo' being accurate), it could worth a fair few beer tokens.
Thanks for that @Sadurian much appreciated. If only inanimate objects could tell us their story. It‘s definitely going on the wall above my desk

ugly

LE
A few reproductions were sold over the years, if it’s a non shooting repro then it might have large holes in the barrel under the furniture!

A few reproductions were sold over the years, if it’s a non shooting repro then it might have large holes in the barrel under the furniture!
Good info, thanks Tim, I’ll see if I can take a look

ugly

LE
Good info, thanks Tim, I’ll see if I can take a look
If it’s a repro many were sold as kits, the markings if present may be raised rather than stamped and discretely under the metal work

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Might be worth taking advice from a local registered firearms dealer as a first step before making an official declaration to the Gendarmerie. Although unregistered weapons and family handmedowns are rife in France, attitudes and procedures are changing. The authorities are about to launch a new web site for registration to avoid the drama and inconsistencies of doing things through the Prefecture.

Declaring it shouldn’t mean that it will be taken off you. Failure to do so could be be very expensive if anyone ever bubbles you.

Plenty of advice and contacts available on the FB Strictly Legal France forum if you use a few appropriate search terms.

Ned.

Notifying the authorities is a wise move to avoid doubts, but as a vintage black powder weapon there are few problems in owning an old blunderbuss as it would be a Category D firearm (i.e. no licence required to own - just don't take it down the bank).

Might be worth taking advice from a local registered firearms dealer as a first step before making an official declaration to the Gendarmerie. Although unregistered weapons and family handmedowns are rife in France, attitudes and procedures are changing. The authorities are about to launch a new web site for registration to avoid the drama and inconsistencies of doing things through the Prefecture.

Declaring it shouldn’t mean that it will be taken off you. Failure to do so could be be very expensive if anyone ever bubbles you.

Plenty of advice and contacts available on the FB Strictly Legal France forum if you use a few appropriate search terms.

Ned.
Many thanks for that info, much appreciated

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
Many thanks for that info, much appreciated
Just an afterthought and do ignore if you are already aware. Take photos not the weapon to the RFD. Even if you already hold a French Firearms Certificate it is an offence to transport any weapon unless it is detailed on your certificate. So, depending on his/her view of what it is, it might be necessary for the RFD to collect and then store it for you until your ownership is “regularised”.

PS. I am envious. All my barn has yielded is a rusty wheelbarrow and a 1920s push lawnmower.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I’ve recently moved into a house, dating from 1818, in the Charente Maritime with barn and stables on the property.

I was clearing out the barn and found the gun in the photos seemingly ‘’hidden’’ against the back wall. I’ve cleaned it up, there are no manufacturers markings or proof stamp.

Given the muzzle, could it be a blunderbus? We’re seriously out in the sticks here, one wonders whether any nefarious goings-on may have been facilitated by this item.

Anyone got any info?

Edit: Before you lot start, I know it’s a ‘’gun’’ :)View attachment 674691View attachment 674692View attachment 674693View attachment 674694
Looks kind of decorative, a mock-up? though more realistic than plaster ducks in flight when hung on a wall.