Any gynaes out there?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by SpottyDog, Nov 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. First of all I apologise for talking about intimate female anatomy, and not in a good way.

I applied to join up a year ago, I got medically deferred because there was a dodgy smear test on my RG-8. (Mild abnormality I think). I had another one 6 months after, that too was dodgy so I've since had loop diathermy. That was six months ago, I recently had another smear, hopefully this one will come back normal. Does anyone know what my chances are if I appeal? If I've had the dodgy cells burnt off, surely there isn't a problem? I'm also at a loss as to what the cervix may be used for in basic and Phase 2.

2. This is a wah, right? Right?

It has to be, right?

I mean, she can't think...
  3. Its called sarcasm. you should try it some time!

4. Reverse Wah!!!!!! He shoots, he scores!!
  5. Barstard!!

Come on, how would you feel if you had jock rot or something equally yuk down there. This is a serious question, I mean how can having mildly broken bits affect entry into the Army????
  6. not a Gynae...but I'll have damn good look!

roflmfao :)
  7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

For one thing, there are no gynae facilities in field medical units. This means that anything other than GP-type cases can't be dealt with and the patient invariably has to be evacuated. Starting out with a problem may mean that the likelihood of becoming non-effective is increased, and this may have a bearing on the Army's view on the suitability of a candidate.
  8. Spotty,

1. I sympathise but the Services get very twitchy about initial standards of health. Many years ago, I tried to sign up to the RAF but they turned me down on health grounds and the Sqn Ldr in the Recruiting Centre personally walked me down to the Army desk and introduced me. The Army wasn't bothered about that bit not working and accepted me. I have not looked back (although that wasn't the grounds on which I failed!) and that particular health issue has not bothered me one iota since (everything else has dropped off instead).

2. The Army puts you through a physically and mentally demanding induction period that is, from the Army's perspective, very expensive. If you don't pass, you will have taken a place that someone else could have used. If we break you during your service, and the Medical Board decides that your injury was attributable to your service, however short, you might be eligible for compensation - and the Army cannot afford to pay compensation without impacting on something else (food, bullets, diesel etc).

3. So, the Army will always play safe and not employ you if the doctors think that military service will be injurious to your health, in any way.

4. I regret that this is probably not the best place to find an answer to your question. There will be only a few people in the MOD qualified to comment or make a decision on your health, and it is unlikely that they have even heard of this site, let alone registered! Please go back to your Recruiting Office and discuss it with them. Or, find the letter of rejection and write to the addressee, explaining the situation. Don't do anything, however, until your GP has cleared you.

I hope it goes well for you.

9. Thanks for the replies, particularly for the offer to have a look!

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll get a good test result, then I can reasonably appeal against the decision.
  10. This is not on the basis of being a medical expert, but stuff I've heard from people who eventually served, even though they were turned down (medically) on their first application.

If you get a good report from a civvy doc, keep all of your paperwork, and consider asking the civvy doc to write a letter expressing whether they believe you are fit for service or not (there may be a charge for this). They'll know nothing about the military, but no doc likes to turn around and say that another doctor is wrong (bit like Popes, then).

Anyway SD, good luck.

But seriously, can I have a look?
  11. But seriously, can I have a look? [/quote]

go on then, as long as you give me your professional opinion! :lol:
  12. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

Spotty, get yourself checked by JAGA.

They're very thorough and can give you the lowdown.
  13. Thanks for the tip Cutaway. that scatology stuff just sounds damned unhygienic though!!
  14. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

I wouldn't believe everything that some people add to the Arrsepedia.
  15. Ex QA currently a practice nurse at a GP surgery... do approx 180smears a year!!! Yes Guys i look at womens bits as many times as that. On a serious note... If you have had a loop biopsy then after your initial post treatment test you are closely monitored annually for a total of 5 years. Don't give up. Reapply when you have written proof that your smears are coming back negative post treatment!! Good luck. I served for 13 years before the Army broke me!!