Any Gym Queens here?

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm still on 8 pull ups.

I think this is God's way of saying lose a stone.
Hangboards are God's way of saying lose a stone. Even if you weigh only a stone.

I've knacked meself on that machine where you squeeze your knees together (Wor Lass calls it the 'Yes/No Machine').

I always thought that was a girly exercise so never used it, but since I'm resting my knees I thought I'd try some different ways of exercising my legs; hence the 'Yes/No machine'.

I didn't think I over did it, but I have, and to make things worse I also used it to stretch my inner thighs, which in hindsight wasn't the best idea in the world.

The upshot is my inner thighs have been knacking me since Wednesday and I can't even sleep in my usual position.

You live, you learn...

I've knacked meself on that machine where you squeeze your knees together (Wor Lass calls it the 'Yes/No Machine').

I always thought that was a girly exercise so never used it, but since I'm resting my knees I thought I'd try some different ways of exercising my legs; hence the 'Yes/No machine'.

I didn't think I over did it, but I have, and to make things worse I also used it to stretch my inner thighs, which in hindsight wasn't the best idea in the world.

The upshot is my inner thighs have been knacking me since Wednesday and I can't even sleep in my usual position.

You live, you learn...
All the little adductor muscles are brutal if you get them tweaked - they never really sort them selves out afterwards.

I've one top mid right thigh, always there to say hi when you think everything is going great.

It's been over a year since the lockdown/restrictions ended and gyms opened back up.

And I've been ultra-consistent for a whole year in getting to the gym 4 or 5 times a week; usually 5. This is good for me.

Sometimes I can even surprise myself.

I've been putting a lot more emphasis on general fitness (cardio) for the past six-weeks or so. More running and lots and lots of heavy bag work. I'm getting quite nifty on the bags; I really do enjoy it.

Still working on pull ups, but not getting anywhere with them; not sure why? Maybe I'm not eating enough? Maybe the cardio is preventing strength improvement?

Tuesdays I do a 'heavy' pull up session (just using bodyweight) and do 5 sets of pull ups.

Fridays I do a lighter pull up session, higher reps, and do 5 sets of banded pull ups (big elastic band to take some of my weight).

And each week there's no improvement, or very little, compared with the week before. Some weeks I'm worse than the week before.

It's been over a year since the lockdown/restrictions ended and gyms opened back up.

And I've been ultra-consistent for a whole year in getting to the gym 4 or 5 times a week; usually 5. This is good for me.

I've been putting a lot more emphasis on general fitness (cardio) for the past six-weeks or so. More running and lots and lots of heavy bag work. I'm getting quite nifty on the bags; I really do enjoy it.

Still working on pull ups, but not getting anywhere with them; not sure why? Maybe I'm not eating enough? Maybe the cardio is preventing strength improvement?

Tuesdays I do a 'heavy' pull up session (just using bodyweight) and do 5 sets of pull ups.

Fridays I do a lighter pull up session, higher reps, and do 5 sets of banded pull ups (big elastic band to take some of my weight).

And each week there's no improvement, or very little, compared with the week before. Some weeks I'm worse than the week before.
I share your pain with pull ups. I can do a fair few body weight ones now but cant get over 5 or 6 with a 10kg plate. If I go on holuday etc for a week or so then I literally half the numbers I can do.
I think that the bottom line is that they are hard to do!
In terms of improving have you tried getting a spotter to slightly assist by supporting your feet?
With me it was a case of having to overcome the mental block and just give it max effort

Try, "Greasing the Groove" with pull-ups. Set up a pull up bar in your home. Do small amounts of pull ups, multiple times a day.

Pull-ups are one of those exercises that respond best to fairly high volume. You can increase your bench, squat etc by training them a couple of times a week, but pull-ups need more reps.

I share your pain with pull ups. I can do a fair few body weight ones now but cant get over 5 or 6 with a 10kg plate. If I go on holuday etc for a week or so then I literally half the numbers I can do.
I think that the bottom line is that they are hard to do!
In terms of improving have you tried getting a spotter to slightly assist by supporting your feet?
With me it was a case of having to overcome the mental block and just give it max effort
I too share the pain on pull ups, by which I assume you mean chins or heaves to the bar / beam.

Back in the day during my times in the Shot in the 80's I could whack out 50 over grasp heaves to the beam, maybe 60 with hands in the under grasp position.

Today it would be a struggle to do 2 or 3 in either grasp position.

The problem with pull ups, or heaves as I prefer to call them, is that the exercise relies upon technique, combined with co-ordination of a wide range of supporting muscles. Believe it or not, strength is not the determining factor.

Muscles involved include:-

Deltoids, Lats, Trapezius, Biceps, Triceps, Pecs, just to name a few. It doesn't matter how much weight you can bench press, the only way to get better at doing heaves is to do lots of them as often as possible. This is very similar to doing press ups, it is strength but combined with technique and co-ordination.

But of course this doesn't help if you can only do 2 or 3 to begin with. So you have to adapt the exercise so that you are still using all of the above muscles, but not pulling the full body weight. Stand on a box or a bench so you are closer to the bar or beam. Use your legs to assist the action, and over a long period of time decrease the assistance from the legs incrementally.

Once a week test your max reps without the box, all the while continuing your other strength work.

Last edited:
Very likely to be teaching people here to suck eggs, however if full over hand pull ups are an issue, perhaps focus more on doing negative ones, that focus more on eccentric loading. It helped me no end in improving mine.

As others have said, little and often (a couple pull ups two/three times a day, not a max out) is one way of improving pull ups strength more generally. Still need to do your 'big' pull up sessions too, though.

As others have said, little and often (a couple pull ups two/three times a day, not a max out) is one way of improving pull ups strength more generally. Still need to do your 'big' pull up sessions too, though.

What I've done is keep my 'heavy' pull day on Monday, and then every other day of the week till Friday, do 3 to 5 sets of easy band assisted pull ups.

I started out with 5 x reps x 3 sets of band assisted pull ups last week and increased it to reps of 6 this week. Next week I'll increase the reps to 7. Once it starts getting too hard, I'll stop increasing the reps and add another set.

So I'm kind of greasing the groove.

I've tried greasing the groove before with one of those door pull up bars, but after I initially used it Wor Lass got narky because it damaged the plaster above the door, and then I stopped using it. But I'm in the gym mon-to-fri, so I'm best just adding in a few sets there each day.

Sat and Sun are rest days from the gym.

I'm hoping for nine good form pull ups on Monday.

As Alan Thrall said - wanna get better at pull ups? Lose weight...

Seriously though - after putting on weight since last autumn thanks to medication which has since stopped - I've been doing a gentle 500 calorie a day deficit for a while now and been steadily losing half a kg a week - who'd have though that would work...

So the twice weekly gym sessions have been measured heart rate stuff on the treadmill, augmented with general bimbling around the hills, but also doing bodyweight stuff at home at least three times a week as well.

Currently at this for each session;

Pull Ups - 4x9
Ring Dips - 4x9
Chin Ups - 4x9
Ring Push Ups - 4x13
Ring Rows - 4x15
30 second static holds - 4x

Those numbers don't look particularly high, but the ring stuff is basically full time under tension for the whole set - brutal to do properly, slow and in control - love it, get's a connection like nothing else. Also, I'm in a foody deficit so it's more for muscle retention than building. Pulls & chins are strict full motion, chest to bar, full extension at the bottom. have to say, I get a much better all over pump doing the above than I ever have from a gym session doing free weights. Something sweet about controlling your own body through space too. Have to admit it would have been good to have gotten into calisthenics back in the day. Good functional strength.

I'm probably not far off a month away from the weight I want to get to - just another few kgs - then I'll start ramping the food up again and bring back squats, deadlifts & overhead press on the gym days.

Well I think you have inspired me with this talk of pull-ups. I have not done any since the early 80s because I didn't like them then (a bit like "core" work!) and I shall see if I like them now. Over hand or under hand?

I am sidelined from running with a mensicus tear so having to do leg strengthening work and spending a bit longer in the gym trying to stop any other muscular decline due to lack of running. If anyone has any exercises that they have used to "cure" a meniscus tear I would like to hear them. Currently it is leg press, forward lunges, clam (?) thing, squats, and single leg squats. Was going really well and definitely improving but at 6 weeks now it seems t have stalled a bit. Physio did say 8 weeks before whining again.

What I've done is keep my 'heavy' pull day on Monday, and then every other day of the week till Friday, do 3 to 5 sets of easy band assisted pull ups.

I started out with 5 x reps x 3 sets of band assisted pull ups last week and increased it to reps of 6 this week. Next week I'll increase the reps to 7. Once it starts getting too hard, I'll stop increasing the reps and add another set.

So I'm kind of greasing the groove.

I've tried greasing the groove before with one of those door pull up bars, but after I initially used it Wor Lass got narky because it damaged the plaster above the door, and then I stopped using it. But I'm in the gym mon-to-fri, so I'm best just adding in a few sets there each day.

Sat and Sun are rest days from the gym.

I'm hoping for nine good form pull ups on Monday.
Can’t remember exactly who it was now, someone on Joe Rogan podcast, if I remember correctly, mentioned that even one rep, multiple times daily for things like pull ups and burpees were good for overall improvement. It was as beneficial to do one rep twenty times a day as it was to do twenty in one set. I’ll try and dig it out.

Can’t remember exactly who it was now, someone on Joe Rogan podcast, if I remember correctly, mentioned that even one rep, multiple times daily for things like pull ups and burpees were good for overall improvement. It was as beneficial to do one rep twenty times a day as it was to do twenty in one set. I’ll try and dig it out.

Yeah, I mentioned that. Pavel, the Kettlebell guy, calls it Greasing the Groove. Find something in your home you can use for chin ups/pull ups and do small amounts of reps multiple times throughout the day.

Well I think you have inspired me with this talk of pull-ups. I have not done any since the early 80s because I didn't like them then (a bit like "core" work!) and I shall see if I like them now. Over hand or under hand?

I am sidelined from running with a mensicus tear so having to do leg strengthening work and spending a bit longer in the gym trying to stop any other muscular decline due to lack of running. If anyone has any exercises that they have used to "cure" a meniscus tear I would like to hear them. Currently it is leg press, forward lunges, clam (?) thing, squats, and single leg squats. Was going really well and definitely improving but at 6 weeks now it seems t have stalled a bit. Physio did say 8 weeks before whining again.

Under hand grip is usually called Chin Ups, as opposed to Pull Ups when the palms are facing away from the body. Chin ups are slightly easier, as the biceps can be used more than in Pull Ups.

And I feel your pain: I injured my knee in April, and the bloody thing still isn't completely healed. :mad::evil:

A muscular bloke in my gym recommends swapping around the grip on different sets. Underhand, overhand, wide grip, close grip, and mixed grip.

But I mainly do pull ups (overhand grip).

I'm liking them more than the lat pull down machine and pull ups involves more core too, so it's not just back 'n' biceps.