Any Gym Queens here?

Yes, I've seen quite a few of Alan Thrall's youtubes already (I just didn't know the name); I thought he was a student of Rips?
He was an advocate of Rip yea, however switched allegiances to Barbell Medicine (among others) as he realizes the former is becoming ever more dogmatic and resistant to new ideas.

Nothing wrong with bombing out on a new RM attempt. I'd be more embarrassed getting trapped under a loaded barbell without safeties as it's ****ing dangerous.

I once did something to my right shoulder benching and dropped 85kg into the safeties - big jarring metallic crash, pub goes quiet, but much better than dropping it on your neck

I've never really followed one person or regime but felt I have been plateauing the last few months with my strength, although I have increased upper muscle mass, so I flicked around Youtube to find some more advice. Jeff Nippard is quite informative.

He's a young Cannuck, not a world class BB. He looks at training by exploring published studies, so he's dipping into science to explore training techniques. Tidy girlfriend who appears in his vid too :cool:

I'm hoping to maintain a
Day 1: Push
Day 2: Pull
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Rest
But I'm so busy at work I can't maintain the momentum to get home, then get to the gym

I've never really followed one person or regime but felt I have been plateauing the last few months with my strength, although I have increased upper muscle mass, so I flicked around Youtube to find some more advice. Jeff Nippard is quite informative.

He's a young Cannuck, not a world class BB. He looks at training by exploring published studies, so he's dipping into science to explore training techniques. Tidy girlfriend who appears in his vid too :cool:

I'm hoping to maintain a
Day 1: Push
Day 2: Pull
Day 3: Legs
Day 4: Rest
But I'm so busy at work I can't maintain the momentum to get home, then get to the gym
Can't you go straight to the gym instead of going home first?

I'm fairly settled into my the 'Bigger, Leaner, Stronger' program. It took me about three weeks to find the weights to use to work within a 4 to 6 rep range on the various exercises, though I am thinking about using a 6 to 8 rep range for certain exercises.

I print off a week's worth of workouts (five-day-a-week program) and when I go to do chest (for example), I look at what I did last time and aim to add 1 rep, to the first bench press than I did the week previous. Once I hit the upper limit of the rep range (6 reps in my case), I add a little weight.

Today was arms day. On the tricep dip, last week, I managed to finish with 4 reps x 30kg (on a dip belt). Today I did 3 sets of 5 x reps with 2 min rest between each set. Next week I'll go for 6 reps with 30kg and if I can, I'll add 5kg and will probably be back down to 4 reps with the new heavier weight. Then I'll try for 5 reps the week after. Hopefully 6 reps the week after that and the addition of another 5 kg.

It's the first time I've lifted in such a methodical manner and it's really working. Every time I go to the gym I'm either adding a rep, here or there, or a little bit of weight.

And the beauty of working in a low rep range is that I can either do it, or I can't. With a higher rep range I'm unsure if I've went to technical failure, or just gave in early.

You're making it too complicated
It seems very simple to me. Work within 4 to 6 reps, add weight when you hit 6 reps. It's pretty much old school strength training.

There's more complicated ways of doing it which includes periodising your training by using different intensities and rep ranges, either over time or within the same workout.

If you want something simple the 5 x 5 Stronglifts app is quite good.
I think my program is loosely based around that, but split up over five days. It always starts off with heavy compound lifting, but usually ends with some isolation exercises. It's also like a bro-split (one body part exercised every 5 to 7 days) which often have a bad reputation, but I think works if programmed in the right order.

The thing is with full body workouts is that, whatever you start with, you're going to do best at. So if you start with squats, you'll do well at. But by the time you get to the shoulder press you'll be feeling less energetic. So I like some kind of split. And I have time to get in the gym most days, so for me, I like something I can do at least five times a week.

I think 5 x 5 programs are a good way to start off though. I've also done the standard push, pull, legs. But I'm seeing how the BSL program (a bit like a bro split) can work well too.

I've set myself some modest strength/Fitness goals to reach and then maintain - all a multiple of my body weight.

Squat x 1.5
Deadlift x 2.0
Bench Press x 1.0
Strict Overhead Press x 0.6
Bent Over Row x 1.0

10km/6miles - under 60 minutes.

Nothing crazy but just turned 50, so if can get to and keep on top of these, I should keep myself in reasonable shape.

The running is fine and I hit my first strength one today on Deadlift. Managed the x2 for 3 reps - was only going for one but it felt quite comfortable so did two more. That was enough for today.

A bit away on the others but getting there slowly - overhead press is miles away.

Get on the Tren Ace and Test E.

I've set myself some modest strength/Fitness goals to reach and then maintain - all a multiple of my body weight.

Squat x 1.5
Deadlift x 2.0
Bench Press x 1.0
Strict Overhead Press x 0.6
Bent Over Row x 1.0

10km/6miles - under 60 minutes.

Nothing crazy but just turned 50, so if can get to and keep on top of these, I should keep myself in reasonable shape.

The running is fine and I hit my first strength one today on Deadlift. Managed the x2 for 3 reps - was only going for one but it felt quite comfortable so did two more. That was enough for today.

A bit away on the others but getting there slowly - overhead press is miles away.
Backsnaps (deadlifts) and barbell rows are my weakness. The small of my back feels 'tight' - not painful - just tight, and I don't want to knack anything, so I'm being cautious.

I'm still doing RDLs, deadlifts and bent over rows, but I'm using a light weight, not going to failure, and gradually building up reps and adding weight.

I'm hoping that'll iron out the back problem. If not, by the time the progressive overload starts challenging me, I'll stop and re-think. I'm stretching too.

I'm 50 too (in a couple of months), but in good nick otherwise.

Backsnaps (deadlifts) and barbell rows are my weakness. The small of my back feels 'tight' - not painful - just tight, and I don't want to knack anything, so I'm being cautious.

I'm still doing RDLs, deadlifts and bent over rows, but I'm using a light weight, not going to failure, and gradually building up reps and adding weight.

I'm hoping that'll iron out the back problem. If not, by the time the progressive overload starts challenging me, I'll stop and re-think. I'm stretching too.

I'm 50 too (in a couple of months), but in good nick otherwise.
If your gym has one, give Trap Bar Deadlifts a try. Much safer than conventional barbell deadlifts, as the weight is centred rather than in front of your body. Very popular with professional athletes who want to get stronger but can't risk back injuries.

It's been a while, but I went through an extended period of low rep strength training previously. The weights you're on at 5 reps should be relatively close to your max so if you're at the right weight then it should be pretty hard graft to get the final set pushed out. It won't feel quite as much of a full body destruction as perhaps you're used to but the body part you've been training should feel sore at least the next day.

You talk about doing cardio as well to make it feel like you've done some work, but what you're on isn't a cardio programme so you shouldn't expect to feel exhausted afterwards in quite the same way. There are ways to boost strength and cardio simultaneously (think CrossFit) but you're on a pure strength programme. If you want to do cardio as well then that's great for you, but maybe treat it as a separate session.

If it makes you feel better about the programme, serious Olympic lifters will push out sessions with very few total reps involved. I know an oly lifter who works a 12 x 1 rep session every now and again. That's all he does that day - 12 lifts and a warmup/cooldown.
Agreed. There was a study a few years back during which three groups of Rugby players performed both strength and cardiovascular training.

Group 1 did cardio training immediately after strength training.

Group 2 did cardio six hours after strength training.

Group 3 did cardio and strength training on separate days.

The third group made the biggest improvements in both strength and cardiovascular fitness.

Last edited:
Chest day today; my fav.

This is my fifth chest day on the BLS program (so I tend to do chest once every five-or-six days).

When I started my reps/sets/weight looked like this:

26 Jul

1 set = 80 kg x 6
2 set = 85 kg x 4
3 set = 85 kg x 4

Today's set looked like this:

1 set = 92.5 kg x 4
2 set = 92.5 kg x 4
3 set = 92.5 kg x 4

I count the bar as 20kg and don't add the collars because they're very light wire ones. I also did 95 kg last week, but it was shakey arm time so used 2 x 1.25 kg plates to make the weight 92.5kg with the bar. Once I hit 6 reps, I add a little weight.

I've also moved onto the 40kg dumbells on the flat dumbell press, which starts after 2 x 3 sets of barbell bench press (flat and incline), and they're the heaviest we have. I was feeling like a big boy (I'm 50 in a couple of months and weigh 84 kg).

So I'm pleased with the progress. This is the first time I've worked in such a methodical progressive manner, and it works.

Hin
Chest day today; my fav.

This is my fifth chest day on the BLS program (so I tend to do chest once every five-or-six days).

When I started my reps/sets/weight looked like this:

26 Jul

1 set = 80 kg x 6
2 set = 85 kg x 4
3 set = 85 kg x 4

Today's set looked like this:

1 set = 92.5 kg x 4
2 set = 92.5 kg x 4
3 set = 92.5 kg x 4

I count the bar as 20kg and don't add the collars because they're very light wire ones. I also did 95 kg last week, but it was shakey arm time so used 2 x 1.25 kg plates to make the weight 92.5kg with the bar. Once I hit 6 reps, I add a little weight.

I've also moved onto the 40kg dumbells on the flat dumbell press, which starts after 2 x 3 sets of barbell bench press (flat and incline), and they're the heaviest we have. I was feeling like a big boy (I'm 50 in a couple of months and weigh 84 kg).

So I'm pleased with the progress. This is the first time I've worked in such a methodical progressive manner, and it works.
Honestly it's that. Focus on the big compound lifts first, use a periodization scheme that provides regular challenge and adequate recovery time, go heavy, you'll get strong.

I'm fairly settled into my the 'Bigger, Leaner, Stronger' program. It took me about three weeks to find the weights to use to work within a 4 to 6 rep range on the various exercises, though I am thinking about using a 6 to 8 rep range for certain exercises.

I print off a week's worth of workouts (five-day-a-week program) and when I go to do chest (for example), I look at what I did last time and aim to add 1 rep, to the first bench press than I did the week previous. Once I hit the upper limit of the rep range (6 reps in my case), I add a little weight.

Today was arms day. On the tricep dip, last week, I managed to finish with 4 reps x 30kg (on a dip belt). Today I did 3 sets of 5 x reps with 2 min rest between each set. Next week I'll go for 6 reps with 30kg and if I can, I'll add 5kg and will probably be back down to 4 reps with the new heavier weight. Then I'll try for 5 reps the week after. Hopefully 6 reps the week after that and the addition of another 5 kg.

It's the first time I've lifted in such a methodical manner and it's really working. Every time I go to the gym I'm either adding a rep, here or there, or a little bit of weight.

And the beauty of working in a low rep range is that I can either do it, or I can't. With a higher rep range I'm unsure if I've went to technical failure, or just gave in early.
Is this the book Bigger Leaner Stronger you're on about ? I've just had a quick look on Amazon books.
Reckon it's worth a buy then ?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
bombdr2494 Waltenkommando 39
Gashtestdummie The NAAFI Bar 35
the_guru Current Affairs, News and Analysis 1

Latest Threads