Any Gym Queens here?

Sore knees have meant I'm giving leg day a miss.

I think I might've been a bellend and have been lifting too heavy, too regularly and my knees are rebelling.

I'm 52-and-a-half.

I'm going lighter and higher reps. Not always, but mostly now.

You live, you learn.

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt

I think I might've been a bellend and have been lifting too heavy, too regularly and my knees are rebelling.

I'm 52-and-a-half.

You live, you learn.
What about turning it on its head and lift heavy or as near as for fewer reps?

Fishsoxs

Old-Salt
I think mostly lighter and higher volume is the safer way to go. Say 10-15 rep range.

And occasionally, like once a week, do as you suggest, for a single set; say 4 to 6 rep range.
Just as aside, do you wear footwear when squatting and dead lifting? If so have you tried without?

Just socks.

My form's pretty good with squats; it's not that.

The only deadlifting I do is the Romanian ones.

I would suggest that you will achieve far more stability while squating by wearing footwear.
Hard soles not squishy trainers.
Romanian deadlifts are what keep physios and chiropractors in bread and cheese unless using very very light weights indeed.
Again using stable footwear, an excellent compound excersize is clean and press.

While squat and deadlift are both compound excersizes it is a great finisher to a session.

Socks is fine; I don't have any stability issues.

It's my knees...

OK.
The wearing of stable footwear when squating may assist your knees.
It is all about angles and how your hips are pitched.
Try a 10 rep set in socks.
Then a 10 rep set in boots, as in work boots.
See what feels good. Do this at 50% of your max lift.
Hopefully you will feel a difference.

With dead lifts,the use of socks or dead lifting slippers is fine.
It allows you closer to the bar and reduces the attack angle.

I'm 52-and-a-half.

You live, you learn.

Yea I make the same mistakes as well benching; elbow tendinopathy 2-3 times a year being silly not rotating through rep ranges properly session to session. Oddly, since wearing knee sleeves I haven't had any tendinopathy in my knees. I can't be arsed with elbow sleeves yet.

I seldom dead lift too and I'm also a fan of RDLs, nice slow eccentrics, really hits the posterior chain.

I also like the 'top set' you advocate, usually once every week or two, a heavy-ish set with 1-3 reps left in the tank.

How's the bench 1RM progress going?

Thanks, GJ.

No improvement on the 1 rep max, because I'm stupid. It was 115 kg x 1 rep, but I'd entered it into my log as 125 kg (it's on my phone). And since the 30th March I've been confused as to why I can't get close to it.

I've even trapped myself on the safety pins and had to shimmy out from under the bar because I put too much weight on it; thinking my PB was 125 kg.

I've only just worked out the problem by going back though this post.

I'm sure I'm getting a touch of early onset Alzheimer's, but Wor Lass reckons I've always been a f***wit.

I'll have another go on Monday and report back.

Not well.

30 March I did 115kg x 1 rep max.

Tried this afternoon to do 117.5 kg x 1 rep max; I warmed up for four sets, with a single rep of 110 kg (which on reflection may have been too heavy for a warm up), then added 7.5 kg to the bar and had to be assisted to get it up.

I'm going to give the very heavy stuff a break, so 115kg will have to stay as my max for now.

I didn't know that. I do go lighter on these; they feel less dodgy than regular deadlifts, but I understand that feelings aren't facts.

If you're looking for a relatively low risk Deadlift variation, try using a Trap Bar. Very easy to learn and because the weight is centred rather than in front, much less likely to cause lower back injuries.

If you're looking for a relatively low risk Deadlift variation, try using a Trap Bar. Very easy to learn and because the weight is centred rather than in front, much less likely to cause lower back injuries.

Mark Ripitoe ('sets of fahv' guy) rips these apart. He reckons they're okay if you're going light, but heavy, no.

Makes no odds to me; my gym doesn't have one.

Mark Ripitoe ('sets of fahv' guy) rips these apart. He reckons they're okay if you're going light, but heavy, no.

Makes no odds to me; my gym doesn't have one.

Mark, "HIP DRAHVE!" Riptoe is very good at what he does: teaching basic squat, bench and deadlift technique to complete beginners. But his knowledge outside that specific area is limited, to say the least.

Trap bar deadlifts are used extensively by professional athletes such as NFL/NBA players, because it' allows them to get stronger with a low risk of injury.

But of course, all this is moot if your gym doesn't have one in the first place.

Strongman Robert Oberst has an interesting thought on deadlifts. After 1min 20seconds it goes off onto other things.

I saw that a while back.

I think weight lifting systems are a bit like dieting systems as in there's no 'one best way'; they all work though some might be more effective than others, but the most effective one is the one you stick to.

Rippetoe hates trapbars but plenty of others say you should do the deadlift variation that suits you. As to the knees, I would watch whether you're tracking - i.e. if you drew a line through the centre of the kneecap, does it point through your toes all the way down? you don't ever want sideways/twisting force on the knee. that's what you have hips and ankles for.

Rippetoe hates trapbars but plenty of others say you should do the deadlift variation that suits you. As to the knees, I would watch whether you're tracking - i.e. if you drew a line through the centre of the kneecap, does it point through your toes all the way down? you don't ever want sideways/twisting force on the knee. that's what you have hips and ankles for.

If by tracking, you mean my knees collapsing inwards; they don't. I have a bit of 'butt wink' if I go too low so I tend to go no lower than slightly below parallel.

When no-one's around in the gym, I'm sad enough to have video'd my squats, to check form.