Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Any Gym Queens here?

Have a look at Bigger, Stronger, Leaner by Michael Matthews.

In short you go heavy, focus on compound exercises, rep range 4 to 6, and do one muscle group a week.

In practise you kinda hit two muscle groups a week because you work arms on one day and then on another when you work back, you're doing bicep. Similar for chest days, you also work tricep.

I'm 50 and it means you can smash your legs doing squats and you get six-days to recover before you smash them again which means - hopefully - you can add a little weight or more reps.
Pretty much how I work as I only go to the gym twice a week now (well, not for these two weeks...) and do legs and deadlifts, shrugs & OHP.

Rest of the stuff is at home bodyweight - harder to get pure weight in as it's more down to reps and progressions.

Seem to be keeping on top of things though.

I'm just about back to pre lockdown strength now. See ya running.
160kg deadlift 2x1 reps
140kg squats 6 reps
90kg bench 6 reps
50kg shoulder press 6 reps
Split over a push pull legs.
I've done pplppl a couple of times and feel fucked after. 6 days training probably too much.
Been watching youtube vids of Arnie and Dorian Yates so been shocking the muscles by changing routines and weights.
Muscles duly shocked and can notice results.
My new idea is 1 wk strength 1 wk hypertrophy for about 8 weeks .

Anyone think this will A improve strength B improve muscle growth ?

Those are some decent weights you're lifting. Deadlifts; I've sadly binned those. I can't do them without tweaking my back (I'm 50).

And I binned the weights - just laziness - around October last year, just started back in the spring and lockdown happened.

So I'm waaaay behind still.

I hope to be around where you are in the not so far distant future.

Been watching youtube vids of Arnie and Dorian Yates so been shocking the muscles by changing routines and weights.
Muscles duly shocked and can notice results.

I'd ignore what these guys did because of the amount of drugs they used. Their situation compared with clean Joe Average is radically different.

Simply because of the drugs.

I'd ignore what these guys did because of the amount of drugs they used. Their situation compared with clean Joe Average is radically different.

Simply because of the drugs.
The Dorian Yates programme preaches going to absolute failure which you can only do with a training partner to lift the weight to finish off the negative reps.
As gyms wont let you have a spotter at the moment it cant really be done to absolute failure but I'm close enough.

RTU'd

Old-Salt
Local Gym run by GLL - Better in serious financial trouble for some reason.
But not as bad as the others like David Lloyd or Nuffield who are in serious doo doo.

Since April it's walks in the local park & countryside and workout through working day.
To many coughing/sneezing "Gym Gods" read that as Gym Tossers, Wnakers & Walts.

Local Gym run by GLL - Better in serious financial trouble for some reason.
But not as bad as the others like David Lloyd or Nuffield who are in serious doo doo.

Since April it's walks in the local park & countryside and workout through working day.
To many coughing/sneezing "Gym Gods" read that as Gym Tossers, Wnakers & Walts.

I use the local - nearest - gym to me and it's part funded by the council.

They've not had a single corvid case through the track 'n' trace system yet. And we all have to book our time slots, so they know who we are.

I use the local - nearest - gym to me and it's part funded by the council.

They've not had a single corvid case through the track 'n' trace system yet. And we all have to book our time slots, so they know who we are.

Funny that, despite everything, my local council gym hasn't had any either...maybe the down on gyms isn't that well founded? That said apparently we're using 40 bottles of disinfectant a week between us.

Nothing at our gym as yet but it won't be down to the youngsters taking care - they don't give a shit.

One was happy to sneeze into his hands, squeeze the residue out of his nose, brief wipe on his shorts and carry on Lat Pull Downs, which his three other mates all took turns with.

Funny that, despite everything, my local council gym hasn't had any either...maybe the down on gyms isn't that well founded? That said apparently we're using 40 bottles of disinfectant a week between us.

You'd think they'd be massive transmitters of the plague, especially with the young adults in there; no/little social distancing and they sometimes forget to wipe the equipment down after they finish.

But on their website (Freedom Leisure) they say

1b.jpg

P.O.N.T.I

War Hero
The Dorian Yates programme preaches going to absolute failure which you can only do with a training partner to lift the weight to finish off the negative reps.
As gyms wont let you have a spotter at the moment it cant really be done to absolute failure but I'm close enough.

Once spotters are back in favour try strip sets.

Go to absolute failure, remove 5/10 kilos and continue to fail, strip 5/10 kilos, repeat.
Eventually, you will be down to the 20 kilo bar and struggling. Intense

Once spotters are back in favour try strip sets.

Go to absolute failure, remove 5/10 kilos and continue to fail, strip 5/10 kilos, repeat.
Eventually, you will be down to the 20 kilo bar and struggling. Intense
It's difficult for me to sort out a training partner as I squeeze my phys in at odd hours depending on wife work etc .
Sometimes I'll be booking the slot half an hour in advance.

Gym's to close, which is a bit of a bugger. I was hoping they'd be exempt and classed as an essential business.

It makes sense to close gyms though, especially when you have a disease that dangerous to overweight people.

Just ordered a couple of tall dip bars:

1b.jpg

We've got some dumbells already, and a door pull-up thing.

Hopefully this'll mean the transition back to the gym will be smoother.

I plan to up my running for a bit too.

Just ordered a couple of tall dip bars:

View attachment 516711

We've got some dumbells already, and a door pull-up thing.

Hopefully this'll mean the transition back to the gym will be smoother.

I plan to up my running for a bit too.
May I suggest a set of 30 quid rings to hang off the Pull Up Bar - been my best investment by a long way.

Made more upper-body gains during lockdown thanks to them than the previous three years of gym work.

May I suggest a set of 30 quid rings to hang off the Pull Up Bar - been my best investment by a long way.

Made more upper-body gains during lockdown thanks to them than the previous three years of gym work.

Something like this?