Any Gym Queens here?

crazy_chester

Old-Salt
I am going to try and read this thread this evening, but have a question about strength training. During the lockdown I have purchased some weights with the intention of getting into strongman competitions...a bit like Worlds Strongest Man that used to be on TV back in the day. I am currently putting myself through a self designed program, and am pretty much starting from scratch as have never bothered with weights before, having been very much into competitive running. Any advice on strong man competitions (not body building - posing in swimming trunks type thing) would be much appreciated.

I am going to try and read this thread this evening, but have a question about strength training. During the lockdown I have purchased some weights with the intention of getting into strongman competitions...a bit like Worlds Strongest Man that used to be on TV back in the day. I am currently putting myself through a self designed program, and am pretty much starting from scratch as have never bothered with weights before, having been very much into competitive running. Any advice on strong man competitions (not body building - posing in swimming trunks type thing) would be much appreciated.
Check out social media for your nearest strongman training hub. I use Instagram purely to follow the big personalities such as the Stoltmans, Hall, Hicks, Bishop etc plus other blokes across the globe.

If you're totally new to strength training google 'novice linear progression' (such as grey skull, stronglifts or even startingstrength) to get your big three up quickly with what you have. You can purchase a squat/ power rack fairly cheap, though StrengthShop, Rogue, Titan for a more expensive hobby, as well as a rubber mat (dead lifts). StrengthShop sell training logs (and various other strongman implements), lifting straps, sleeves, chalk etc as well.

crazy_chester

Old-Salt
Check out social media for your nearest strongman training hub. I use Instagram purely to follow the big personalities such as the Stoltmans, Hall, Hicks, Bishop etc plus other blokes across the globe.

If you're totally new to strength training google 'novice linear progression' (such as grey skull, stronglifts or even startingstrength) to get your big three up quickly with what you have. You can purchase a squat/ power rack fairly cheap, though StrengthShop, Rogue, Titan for a more expensive hobby, as well as a rubber mat (dead lifts). StrengthShop sell training logs (and various other strongman implements), lifting straps, sleeves, chalk etc as well.
Thanks very much - really appreciated. I will get on to that now.

Jonnynoname

On ROPS
On ROPs

Good post. Yes a Lot of the old timers started off with heavy Lifts, powerlifting. I did a Füll body blast today Just compound Lifts. I actually like full body. Gets my old pumper working.

Good post. Yes a Lot of the old timers started off with heavy Lifts, powerlifting. I did a Füll body blast today Just compound Lifts. I actually like full body. Gets my old pumper working.
Likewise; Monday for me was back squat, bench press and Romanian dead lift. Squat push pull. Takes ages to work through!

Enigma266

War Hero
Had a cheeky little workout this morning than involved me sweating my norks off. Set 1 BO rows, press ups. Set 2 Med ball squat cleans, med ball squats and med ball slams, set 3 KB DL, DB clean and sit ups. Lots of reps and sets.

As expected my instant move to high volume didn't quite work out and I got a twinge in left elbow on the push stuff - so had to scale it back - seems to be working.

Gentle run/bimble up the road for twenty mins, then 4x5 sprints of different speeds, bimble back
Pull Day - 5 variations of Pull Ups as before. Pyramid up to 5 and back again - 25 of each, 125 in total.
Push day - 5 variations of push. Pyramid up to 6 (now) and back again - 36 of each, 180 in total
Rest Day
Start again.

3 days on, 1 day off, extra rest day if I feel a bit tight anywhere.

Jonnynoname

On ROPS
On ROPs
As expected my instant move to high volume didn't quite work out and I got a twinge in left elbow on the push stuff - so had to scale it back - seems to be working.

Gentle run/bimble up the road for twenty mins, then 4x5 sprints of different speeds, bimble back
Pull Day - 5 variations of Pull Ups as before. Pyramid up to 5 and back again - 25 of each, 125 in total.
Push day - 5 variations of push. Pyramid up to 6 (now) and back again - 36 of each, 180 in total
Rest Day
Start again.

3 days on, 1 day off, extra rest day if I feel a bit tight anywhere.
mate watch some videos from John Heart. Guy is a bit extreme in some ways but he´s correct about training intense, recovery time as we get older & even for younger guys.