Any Gym Queens here?

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
Did legs today... yes i hate legs but has to be done. Ass to Grass squats Baby ! lucky i have a leg extension/ curl bench so Squats, Leg extensions, leg curls, Romanian Deads. Calf raises one legged to failure.

Day 3 - May 50 Challenge Complete!

As you'd expect, a bit sore today (and I expect to get worse for a few more days) but the actual rep frequency was better today.

Can also feel that the different variations are hitting the back really nicely.

Enigma266

War Hero
Ive been trying to source a barbell and bumpers but may as well be looking for hens teeth! I have a few kettle bells and now have some dumbbells on order. Lots of compound exercises are the order of the day and Ive started daily yoga. But Christ, I really miss heavy weights!

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
Ive been trying to source a barbell and bumpers but may as well be looking for hens teeth! I have a few kettle bells and now have some dumbbells on order. Lots of compound exercises are the order of the day and Ive started daily yoga. But Christ, I really miss heavy weights!
you know what i still have old school chest expanders. The old type with real springs & wooden handles. Also the good old Bullworker.

I hear you brother.

Even getting hold of the pull up bar was a hunt - anything decent new is out of stock, or very expensive - just got to keep an eye out for eBay.

I'm finding the same with rings - the ones I want simply aren't available or similar ones are twice the price.

Everything has sold out, every thing is made in China, everything is either not being restocked or it's a very slow process.

Enigma266

War Hero
you know what i still have old school chest expanders. The old type with real springs & wooden handles. Also the good old Bullworker.
Good Lord! Thats showing your age! =D

I hear you brother.

Even getting hold of the pull up bar was a hunt - anything decent new is out of stock, or very expensive - just got to keep an eye out for eBay.

I'm finding the same with rings - the ones I want simply aren't available or similar ones are twice the price.

Everything has sold out, every thing is made in China, everything is either not being restocked or it's a very slow process.
Sister ;-) Im thinking if I can tick over for the next couple of months eBay will be absolutely inundated with the stuff and there will be bargains to be had. I do still have zoom training sessions with my PT so that's good and I get out on my mountain bike.

Good Lord! Thats showing your age! =D

Sister ;-) Im thinking if I can tick over for the next couple of months eBay will be absolutely inundated with the stuff and there will be bargains to be had. I do still have zoom training sessions with my PT so that's good and I get out on my mountain bike.
Sister, apols...

Yeah, I thought that, but I waited a month or so and nothing really changed - and I can't see gyms being anywhere near the top of the list to reopen as they are, no doubt, germ factories. Plus the only half decent one to us is the local leisure centre and has a high fogey count.

Enigma266

War Hero
They will be bottom of the pile. To be honest, anything is going to be cleaner than the one I usually frequent which is a cross fit gym and very spit and sawdust. This has made me think Im going to convert a summerhouse into a lifting room once this is done. I live in the middle of nowhere anyway so it makes sense going forward.

Some of the sites Ive been watching are looking at stock the end of May or June but they cost serious ££

Enigma266

War Hero
Victor Hugo
Forty is the old age of youth, fifty the youth of old age

this is no longer true. Fit to fight any age !
I am in better shape than many women much younger than myself. Also, too many let their 50's and the change in our bodies, be an excuse to let go. There is no excuse and this is the time women certainly should be picking up the weights. I certainly dont feel my age although I can be much slower once a dreaded burpee is thrown into the equation! :-D I bloody hate them with a passion!!!

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
I am in better shape than many women much younger than myself. Also, too many let their 50's and the change in our bodies, be an excuse to let go. There is no excuse and this is the time women certainly should be picking up the weights. I certainly dont feel my age although I can be much slower once a dreaded burpee is thrown into the equation! :-D I bloody hate them with a passion!!!
many women are very strong in squats, deadlifts. i know a few who train in crossfit. I worked in a Gym here in Germany where the owner was a woman. She was an ex Competitive bodybuilder.

Enigma266

War Hero
many women are very strong in squats, deadlifts. i know a few who train in crossfit. I worked in a Gym here in Germany where the owner was a woman. She was an ex Competitive bodybuilder.
My PB deadlift is 100KG (just before lockdown) and my squats equally strong but press ups and pull ups are very weak! If anyone has any tips for improving both I would be very interested to hear them please

Jonnynoname

Old-Salt
My PB deadlift is 100KG (just before lockdown) and my squats equally strong but press ups and pull ups are very weak! If anyone has any tips for improving both I would be very interested to hear them please
I hear often from people that you want a thick back & traps do Deadlifts. I would say you need to concentrate on Rowing exercises. barbell Rows top the list. If later in the Gym Hammer strength rows are great, plate loaded machines. Push ups i can only say keep trying to do more. More efficient is Barbell, Dumbbell press. My favourite is Parallel bar dips. I had a prolaped disc in my neck C6/C7 & could not train pushing exercises as it was bad. started back doing static holds on the Bath, then small movements. Later push ups on the floor..later i could Bench press. I can´t push the weights i used to but am OK with it.

Enigma266

War Hero
I hear often from people that you want a thick back & traps do Deadlifts. I would say you need to concentrate on Rowing exercises. barbell Rows top the list. If later in the Gym Hammer strength rows are great, plate loaded machines. Push ups i can only say keep trying to do more. More efficient is Barbell, Dumbbell press. My favourite is Parallel bar dips. I had a prolaped disc in my neck C6/C7 & could not train pushing exercises as it was bad. started back doing static holds on the Bath, then small movements. Later push ups on the floor..later i could Bench press. I can´t push the weights i used to but am OK with it.
I have a metal spine. My deadlifts come all from my legs and hamstrings.

jg505

Old-Salt
Personally I always found stronger triceps led to more pressups. My bench press was never the strongest but I could smash out pressups......used to love doing weighted dips and 55kg nose breakers.

Also, when I first started training, I used to do weighted negative chins....until I was able to do weighted normal chins.

Latest Threads