Any guitar players in? Learning advice wanted.

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by the_beer_man, Aug 23, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bee playing guitar on and off for a while now. Learnt most of your basic chords and can even string a few together to knock out a tune. Problem is I've hit a bit of a stale patch and don't seem to be improving. If anything I feel like I'm going backwards. It's only acoustic stuff and not expecting to become the next slash.

Did anyone hit this stage whilst learning and how did you get past it?

Thanks, tbm
  2. Download chords and tabs for your favorite songs, if you dont know a chord just look it up, I found that provided the motivation to learn new chords and practice them. Thats pretty much how I learnt guitar, dont waste your money on teach yourself books, they're boring and will just put you off.
  3. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

4. Banker

Banker On ROPs

Hit Youtube mate, key in your favourite artist/song and "lesson"..........plenty out there........that'll keep you busy 'til eternity.
  5. Get a teacher - even if it's just for a few lessons. You'll benefit hugely from both playing together, and from someone watching you, pointing out where you're going wrong and correcting you, rather than you trying to work it out for yourself.

No idea where you are, but if you're around Bristol, PM me - I might be able to sort you out with a couple of lessons.
  6. Banker

Banker On ROPs

Hell, if you're in London I'll give you a couple of lessons myself...........
  7. He wants to learn the guitar not the pink Oboe!
  8. Banker

Banker On ROPs

So says the skin flautist.........
  9. Practise every day. Even if you can only spare 5 mins.
  10. Find a teacher and more importantly find a genre that floats ya boat.

There are plenty of you tubers who break songs down into manageable chunks and give the tabs too.

Im learning to play a lot of metal (very badly) from 1 particular gent on t'web