Any good pubs close to the Union Jack Club?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by Rodney2q, Aug 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi folks

I'm meeting up with several old mates at the UJK next week. We intend to have a few jars and a meal in a nearby pub. Any recommendations for any good pubs/cafes within a few minutes walk of the Union Jack Club?

• Like Like x 1
  2. It's a great location and tons of choice!

Hole in the wall is a pub worth popping in to and there are 2 decent curry houses a stones throw away.

best bet is to grab a copy of "whats on" from Waterloo station, a free London Mag with a Gig Guide Ect.
  3. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Don't know about solid food, but for beer you could do worse that the Hole In The Wall, not 200 yards from the UJC. Bit of a grot, but good beers, kept well - in Good Beer Guide, etc.
  4. The King's Arms, in Roupell street (about a 2 minute walk) and The Wellington across the road (not a great pub, but pretty hot Spanish bar ladies).
    Also, you have The Windmill which is about a 4 minute walk (on The Cut) near Southwalk station, and the Hole in the Wall which is just opposit Waterloo station (Mepham Street).
    Don't go to the Fire Station - it's over priced and crap!

Take a look at BITE # pubs and bars - to find the exact location of these pubs ..

5. Agreed. The Firestation is fucking abysmal.

As already stated a few times, "The Hole in the Wall" isn't a bad pub. It's grotty, but the last time a few arrsers met up in there they had no issues with a naked bar call, and reasonably priced beer for the location.
  6. few minutes walk along the river towards The Globe there is The Real Greek, Tas, Vapiano, Zizzi and a couple of minutes walk beyond there just past Southwark Bridge is The Anchor which has Pimms by the glass and a restaurant which appears to be famous for fish and chips - would be lovely if you get a sunny evening and can sit outside
  7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Never heard of any of these places but I wouldn't drink in Throckley for a bet. Proper cowboy country. And Newburn is almost as bad. The Newburn Hotel has shut due to a fuss over class A drugs and shotguns. The Keelman is a bit civilised with good real ale. The Boathouse (no relation) is OK for pub grub but if I were you I'd stay in the Union Jack Club or hook a taxi into the Toon. Hope this helps?
  8. Pimms? Aarghh!! More like a meal than a drink. :)
    Back to thread. As with other posters, if it is a venue for a reunion p*ss up with a few mates, you can't go far wrong with the Hole in the Wall, followed by a local Ruby.
  9. If you fancy a German touch, you can take a short taxi ride (less than a mile) to Katzenjammers by Borough Market - all taxi drivers know it. Good German bier and traditional hefty German food.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Drinks Menu
    Just near the war museum - the food is lovely. Great to sit outside and err people watch especially in this good weather.
  11. You were going to take us to the fire station last year - we told you it's shite.
  12. Thanks chaps - locations duly noted!

13. That's before I had the displeasure of actually going there. Now that I've been, I realise my mistake!
  14. Take a bimble across the river to Big Ben and hook a right to the Red Lion next to the Cenotaph. There's a few good boozers further up Whitehall too.