Any good armoured warfare books?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by duggan123, Aug 4, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, :?
    I was just wondering if any one knew of any good books about armoured warfare tactics or history of armoured warfare?

thanks

2. History of the Royal Tank Regiment might be a good starting place!

3. ive tried looking for any good RTR books but cant find any but i did find one called Tankmen, but dont know if its any good

4. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

actung panzer

5. Achtung Panzer and Panzer Leader by Heinz Guderian are good.

One's his pre-war ideas of how the future of armoured warfare would look, the other is basically his autobiography written while in American custody after the war.

6. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Panzer Commander by Hans von Luck

7. Get on Amazon, search tank books, the list is pretty endless.

Depends what era you are looking for, not much heavy armour stuff in the last 10 years!!!

Starter pack:

Take These Men by Cyril Joly
    By Tank into Normandy, Stuart Hills (great book)
    Cheiftains by Forrest Webb (WW3 80'style)

8. Cracking read, but little of it is actually about pure armour - he was light recce and then at various levels of all-arms command.

"By Tank into Normandy" Stuart Hills (fwd Richard Holmes) ISBN 0304366404 is a detailed account of Shermans of Nottinghamshire Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry from D-Day onwards. Some detail and diagrams of a few of the tank-tank battles in Normandy, and a fairly large amount of detail of the life of an armoured unit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. er..anything written by Sven Hassel...?

10. Try Richard Simpkin for cold war era and the development of modern armoured warfare. Richard Simpkin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ken Tout also wrote a book called Tank and some others on armoured warfare in Normandy.

There is an interesting book called Panzer gunner: from my native Canada to the German Ostfront and back : in action with 25th Panzer Regiment, 7th Panzer Division, 1944-45 by Bruno Friesen. I found the story fascinating..

11. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

And for fiction try Team Yankee by Harold Coyle

12. Sword point, bright star are also very good!