Any gamekepers on here?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by, Oct 7, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Any gamekepers on here? I have some questions re your chosed profesion.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Part time only, if its entry to the profession unless you are qualified you will find it difficult to enter.
  3. are you sure that you wouldn't prefer to become an English teacher? ;)
  4. Or a Spell Check Maintenance Engineer, then you could service your spell checker when it goes down.
  5. Nope, or I would have put that down, and not game keeping.
  6. Nope, or I would have put that down, and not game keeping.
  7. As Ugly said you wont get anywhere without qualifications these days.
    You may find this useful NGO Charitable Trust
  8. Thanks 870.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Even then its not cheap, a beater on my shoot is on his second year at Plumpton and they make him pay for DSC1 etc. Mad really as he will likely need those, the college should include them along with tractors and chainsaws!
  10. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

But on the plus side, he isn't paying Hartpury style fees and Plumpton is one hell of a lot prettier!

Just to echo what the others have said, it's Quals all the way now. Even baby underkeepers are expected to do day release, and conversely the number of positions for full time paid keeping has reduced dramtically in the last 15 years or so.

A shooting estate that I'm on fairly often has gone from a Head Keeper, Asst Keeper and Trainee/Lad to just a Keeper in 10 years. There has also been a big growth in self managed/kept syndicates with owner/keepers as money has become tighter.

There are still jobs there if you are good, dedicated and willing to put the hours in, but in a lot of cases diversification is the way forward. Hence a large emphasis on Conservation in modern courses.
  11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats the real problem, all those hard years at college and no paying job afterwards.
    We had a syndicate member who really wanted to keeper for us so we all said ok. What he really wanted was to run the shoot. He left of his own accord as he couldnt understand the way syndicates work.
    He had worked with the keeper at Firle for a few years and didnt understnd that he had to get agreement from everyone not to use vehicles to deliver feed, not to do this and that and in the end we sadly did little to stop him leaving. Syndicates have 2 classes of members, those that put in long hours and idle ***** who ride along on the coat tails of others. Now I dont mind but when the idle ones whinge about the quality of the birds (when really they would struggle to hit a dokeys arse with a banjo when sat on it backwards) I tend to get ticked off and dont renew their membership!
  12. What level qual would be entry level?
  13. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Try using a bit of initiative and use the links already provided:

From this

you get this:

NGO Charitable Trust
  14. Our salmon fishing club has been up to three ghillies for the 9 miles of water.
  15. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Most ag colleges accept a level of adult experience in addition to basic quals (maths, english etc) instead of recent school leavers chock full of useless GCSE's in community studies but will probably want an entrance exam or you to take additional exams whilst there unless sponsored by an employer.
    Most employers wont take new starters unless sponsoring through a 2 or 3 year course in Keeping unless they already have the full course. A bit chicken and egg.
    If you know a keeper then get some work experience in. Dont expect to be paid. its almost like the old apprenticeships.
    Even when employed I'm surprised Keepers can save any money!